Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by My old accoun » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:33:23



I have a single (not clustered) DS20E Alpha running Open VMS 7.2-1.
I want to upgrade to Open VMS 7.2-2 which is required for CSWS 1.3.

Are there any concerns that I should be aware of before I begin?
I don't run DECnet. I use TCP/IP.

After the upgrade do I have to reinstall every layered product?

Thanks for your advice.

 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Hans Vlem » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:04:50




Quote:> I have a single (not clustered) DS20E Alpha running Open VMS 7.2-1.
> I want to upgrade to Open VMS 7.2-2 which is required for CSWS 1.3.

Why not go for 7.3-1? The latest, greatest and fastest :-)

Quote:

> Are there any concerns that I should be aware of before I begin?
> I don't run DECnet. I use TCP/IP.

It depends on what version of IP you're running; newer versions offer
additional support that may be useful.

Quote:

> After the upgrade do I have to reinstall every layered product?

No, of course not. Why would you have to?

Quote:> Thanks for your advice.

My pleasure.

 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Rob.Bux.. » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:31:47


On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:33:23 -0700, "My old account"


>I have a single (not clustered) DS20E Alpha running Open VMS 7.2-1.
>I want to upgrade to Open VMS 7.2-2 which is required for CSWS 1.3.

>Are there any concerns that I should be aware of before I begin?
>I don't run DECnet. I use TCP/IP.

>After the upgrade do I have to reinstall every layered product?

>Thanks for your advice.

If you're running a fully patched 7.2-1 then there's very little
difference between taht and 7.2-2. My understanding is that 7.2-2 is
just a roll together of patches into a stable release.

There are Patches out for 7.2-2, so consider also installing them
afterwards.
There should be no reason to upgrade existing versions of DECNet,
TCP/IP etc., the main advantage is that you can use some of the newer
products.

 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Nic Clew » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:26:39



> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:33:23 -0700, "My old account"

> >I have a single (not clustered) DS20E Alpha running Open VMS 7.2-1.
> >I want to upgrade to Open VMS 7.2-2 which is required for CSWS 1.3.

> >Are there any concerns that I should be aware of before I begin?
> >I don't run DECnet. I use TCP/IP.

> >After the upgrade do I have to reinstall every layered product?

> >Thanks for your advice.

> If you're running a fully patched 7.2-1 then there's very little
> difference between taht and 7.2-2. My understanding is that 7.2-2 is
> just a roll together of patches into a stable release.

No not quite correct. When 7.2-1 fell off support, patches were only
built for 7.2-2. Check out the release dates of patches for 7.2-1
against 7.2-2, you'll see far more current patches for 7.2-2.

Quote:> There are Patches out for 7.2-2, so consider also installing them
> afterwards.
> There should be no reason to upgrade existing versions of DECNet,
> TCP/IP etc., the main advantage is that you can use some of the newer
> products.

Agreed.

7.2-2 is to allow the 7.2, 7.2-H variants to upgrade to a stable point
without needing software requalification. There should be no need to
change or upgrade any layered products.

In the 7.2 (- X) tree, this is a free-of-charge upgrade, providing you
either had rights to, or purchase the system with the base licence while
7.2 was current, then you have the right to move to 7.2-2 (media may be
nominally chargeable).

7.2-2 goes off support at the end of this year (PVS sustained
engineering).

--
Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
nclews at csc dot com

 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Keith Parr » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:50:31



> If you're running a fully patched 7.2-1 then there's very little
> difference between taht and 7.2-2. My understanding is that 7.2-2 is
> just a roll together of patches into a stable release.

Actually, 7.2-2 also included some of the features from 7.3.
 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Beach Run.. » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:27:14




> > If you're running a fully patched 7.2-1 then there's very little
> > difference between taht and 7.2-2. My understanding is that 7.2-2 is
> > just a roll together of patches into a stable release.

> Actually, 7.2-2 also included some of the features from 7.3.

There is a rename patch that should be applied before the upgrade. Some of
the
ECOs put patches i the wrong place.

7.2-1 is also prior version support, while 7.2-2 still is supported.

Beach Runner

 
 
 

Open VMS Alpha upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.2-2

Post by Jill » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:22:28


Please refer to ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/services/software/ovms.pdf

V7.2-2 ended Standard Support on Dec. 31, 2002 and is only supported
under Prior Version Support contracts at this time.  Prior Version
Support is an additional cost support contract.




> > > If you're running a fully patched 7.2-1 then there's very little
> > > difference between taht and 7.2-2. My understanding is that 7.2-2 is
> > > just a roll together of patches into a stable release.

> > Actually, 7.2-2 also included some of the features from 7.3.

> There is a rename patch that should be applied before the upgrade. Some of
> the
> ECOs put patches i the wrong place.

> 7.2-1 is also prior version support, while 7.2-2 still is supported.

> Beach Runner

--
Jilly   - Working from Home in the Chemung River Valley - Waverly, NY


        - http://www.jilly.baka.com
 
 
 

1. ZIP broke after upgrade from VMS 7.1-2 to VMS 7.2-1

I just noticed ZIP broke after the VMS upgrade. I can still add files into
an existing zip, but when I try to create a new zip file, I get this:

$ zip a.zip systartup_vms.com

     Error:  zipfile is in variable-length record format.  Please
     run "bilf b SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR]A.ZIP;" to convert the zipfile to
fixed-length
     record format.

zip error: Zip file structure invalid (SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR]A.ZIP;)

unzip works fine.
Thanks,
Ted Medenblik

2. Web References - True or False

3. PDF from text on VAX VMS 5.5-2 or Alpha OpenVMS 7.2-1 anyone?

4. About two domain's account replication

5. Error during 7.1-2 to 7.2-1 upgrade, DUPKEY in STARLET.OLB index

6. EVPlugBase 1.1b1 and Visor compatibility

7. Problem with upgrading an Alpha Server to 7.2-1

8. Admin-settings not copied

9. Upgrade from Alpha 7.1-1H1 to 7.2-1

10. problem while upgrading from VMS 6.2-h3 to VMS 7.2-1

11. kit applies to: 7.2. 7.2-1 also?