How do I monitor the CPU temperature in an ES40 running OpenVMS 7.3-1?

How do I monitor the CPU temperature in an ES40 running OpenVMS 7.3-1?

Post by Scott Vie » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:56:54

Hi:

This topic has been discussed in the past in c.o.v.  A very clever
little command procedure was posted which uses
f$getsyi("temperature_vector") to get the temperature readings out of
an AlphaServer running VMS.

Here is what I can see on our ES40:

    ES40 CPU Temperature Monitor
Vector: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF14151615161818
CPU  0   Temperature  75
CPU  1   Temperature  75
CPU  2   Temperature  71
CPU  3   Temperature  69
CPU  4   Temperature  71
CPU  5   Temperature  69
CPU  6   Temperature  68

From other posts, I believe that the seven temperature readings are
from three sensors somewhere in the system (see Hoff's post on this
topic) and then each of our four CPUs.

Soooooo, I can monitor the system temperature via DCL.

Now I would like to monitor the temperature with a piece of software
that I can run on the ES40 that speaks SNMP so I can collect the temps
and graph them in something like cricket
(http://cricket.sourceforge.net/).  (I already have cricket running on
a nearby Proliant server running RedHat).

The older posts that I found in c.o.v. say that monitoring via SNMP is
possible via a product called ServerWorks.  I think that software has
been retired.  Is there a replacement for ServerWorks on VMS?  Maybe
an Insight Manager agent for VMS or something along those lines?

Many thanks,

-Scott Vieth
Fibre channel plumber, ES40 mechanic, uber-hacker wannabee :^)

Post by Robert Deining » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:05:58

>Now I would like to monitor the temperature with a piece of software
>that I can run on the ES40 that speaks SNMP so I can collect the temps
>and graph them in something like cricket
>(http://cricket.sourceforge.net/).  (I already have cricket running on
>a nearby Proliant server running RedHat).

>The older posts that I found in c.o.v. say that monitoring via SNMP is
>possible via a product called ServerWorks.  I think that software has
>been retired.  Is there a replacement for ServerWorks on VMS?  Maybe
>an Insight Manager agent for VMS or something along those lines?

Insight Manager would be the tool that should support this, but I don't
know off the top of my head if it support ES40.  Give it a try.

Post by dool » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:58:36

> Hi:

> This topic has been discussed in the past in c.o.v.  A very clever
> little command procedure was posted which uses
> f$getsyi("temperature_vector") to get the temperature readings out of
> an AlphaServer running VMS.

> Here is what I can see on our ES40:

>     ES40 CPU Temperature Monitor
> Vector: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF14151615161818
> CPU  0   Temperature  75
> CPU  1   Temperature  75
> CPU  2   Temperature  71
> CPU  3   Temperature  69
> CPU  4   Temperature  71
> CPU  5   Temperature  69
> CPU  6   Temperature  68

> From other posts, I believe that the seven temperature readings are
> from three sensors somewhere in the system (see Hoff's post on this
> topic) and then each of our four CPUs.

> Soooooo, I can monitor the system temperature via DCL.

> Now I would like to monitor the temperature with a piece of software
> that I can run on the ES40 that speaks SNMP so I can collect the temps
> and graph them in something like cricket
> (http://cricket.sourceforge.net/).  (I already have cricket running on
> a nearby Proliant server running RedHat).

> The older posts that I found in c.o.v. say that monitoring via SNMP is
> possible via a product called ServerWorks.  I think that software has
> been retired.  Is there a replacement for ServerWorks on VMS?  Maybe
> an Insight Manager agent for VMS or something along those lines?

> Many thanks,

> -Scott Vieth
> Fibre channel plumber, ES40 mechanic, uber-hacker wannabee :^)

If you install the insight agents you can view this stuff on a web page.
see http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/mgmt_agents/

Since you have the vaulues in dcl anyway,
if you have tcpip/snmp enabled and you know what trap to send where
(this involves knowing a bit about mibs and oids)
you can do is "manually" using
$ snmp_request == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_REQUEST"
$!!! snmp_request agent "community" request_type [flags]
$!!!     variable [data-type value]
$!!!
$!
$ snmp_trapsnd == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND"
$!!!   snmp_trapsnd enterprise agent generic-trap specific-trap timeticks
$!!!     [-v version] [-c community] [-d] [-h host] [-p port] [-tcp]
$!!!     [variable_name [data-type value]]
$!
$ snmp_traprcv == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPRCV"
$!!! snmp_traprcv [-d] [-tcp] [-p port]
$!
$!

Phil

Post by David J. Dachter » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:49:20

> [snip]

> Since you have the vaulues in dcl anyway,
> if you have tcpip/snmp enabled and you know what trap to send where
> (this involves knowing a bit about mibs and oids)
> you can do is "manually" using
> $ snmp_request == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_REQUEST"
> $!!! snmp_request agent "community" request_type [flags]
> $!!!     variable [data-type value]
> $!!!
> $!
> $ snmp_trapsnd == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND"
> $!!!   snmp_trapsnd enterprise agent generic-trap specific-trap timeticks
> $!!!     [-v version] [-c community] [-d] [-h host] [-p port] [-tcp]
> $!!!     [variable_name [data-type value]]
> $!
> $ snmp_traprcv == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPRCV"
> $!!! snmp_traprcv [-d] [-tcp] [-p port]
> $!
> $!

Does anyone know how to do the above using Multinet? The documentation
is less than ludcid...

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

1. Trouble with NFS since upgrade 7.3 -> 7.3-1

Hello

Since I've upgraded my NFS server from 7.3 to 7.3-1 (the huge TCPIP
ECO 1 is applied), I'm unable to mount the NFS shares with my Linux
workstation.
The server reports a successful mount through OPCOM, but the client
(Linux) logs
the following messages:
xxx kernel: call_verify: server requires stronger authentication.
xxx kernel: nfs_get_root: getattr error = 13
xxx kernel: call_verify: server requires stronger authentication.
xxx kernel: nfs_get_root: getattr error = 13
xxx kernel: nfs_read_super: get root inode failed

And "TCPIP SHOW NFS" on the server reports 2 weak authentication
calls.

Has anybody an idea what might be the problem or what has changed from
7.3 ?
Thanks for your help!

Greetings, Roland

2. NEW PAGE!!!!!!!!!! NEW PAGE!!!!!!!!!!

3. Release date for 7.3 (and 7.3-1??)

4. 6.3 / 5.x filesystem compatibility

5. 7.2-1 and 7.3-1 NFS and block size

6. Set Minimum page with.

7. Going 7.2-1 -> 7.3-1

8. Remove JUST the systray Icon

9. Poor disk i/o performance on DS10L (scsi) OpenVMS 7.3-1

10. ES47 with OpenVMS 7.3-1

11. OpenVMS 7.3-1 and CSWING

12. Best WEB server for OpenVMS 7.3-1