Decwindows: Fileview DCL window font

Post by JF Meze » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:54:54

Goal: to select a smaller font for the dcl windows opened by fileview (VAX).

The fileview DCL window come up with some large italic font. (as does the same
type of window that displays character cell output from x applications). After
using the SEARCH command for an oblique font specification ( -O-Normal ), I
have found nothing conclusive in either the decw$ executables, or the system
defaults directory.

I have also no idea what image runs the session manager on VAX. :-( ;-( :-(

Normally, an application would have textual resource files ( *.dat) where one
can easily tailor the application's look and feel. But in this case, I am at a
loss to find out which resource file is being used. I do know that there is a
VUE$PROFILE.VUE$DAT which is an indexed file that contains the menu items, but
no oblique font definitions.

With DECterm, one can specify the exact fonts that are desired. But with
fileview DCL windows, where the <censored> can on define the desired font for
the window ????????

Post by Bob Marca » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:11:56

> Goal: to select a smaller font for the dcl windows opened by fileview (VAX).

> The fileview DCL window come up with some large italic font. (as does the same
> type of window that displays character cell output from x applications). After
> using the SEARCH command for an oblique font specification ( -O-Normal ), I
> have found nothing conclusive in either the decw$ executables, or the system
> defaults directory.

> I have also no idea what image runs the session manager on VAX. :-( ;-( :-(

> Normally, an application would have textual resource files ( *.dat) where one
> can easily tailor the application's look and feel. But in this case, I am at a
> loss to find out which resource file is being used. I do know that there is a
> VUE$PROFILE.VUE$DAT which is an indexed file that contains the menu items, but
> no oblique font definitions.

> With DECterm, one can specify the exact fonts that are desired. But with
> fileview DCL windows, where the <censored> can on define the desired font for
> the window ????????

image DECW$SESSION

Have the same problem and like to know how to solve.
All this xwindows stuff is so poor documented on VMS.

Regards, Bob
--

  Nade Ovcakove 1                       tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia                      http://www.snt.si

Decwindows: Fileview DCL window font

Post by Hans Vlem » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:31:18

Quote:> Goal: to select a smaller font for the dcl windows opened by fileview
(VAX).

> The fileview DCL window come up with some large italic font. (as does the
same
> type of window that displays character cell output from x applications).
After
> using the SEARCH command for an oblique font specification ( -O-Normal ),
> have found nothing conclusive in either the decw$ executables, or the
system
> defaults directory.

> I have also no idea what image runs the session manager on VAX. :-( ;-(
:-(

> Normally, an application would have textual resource files ( *.dat) where
one
> can easily tailor the application's look and feel. But in this case, I am
at a
> loss to find out which resource file is being used. I do know that there
is a
> VUE$PROFILE.VUE$DAT which is an indexed file that contains the menu items,
but
> no oblique font definitions.

> With DECterm, one can specify the exact fonts that are desired.

How? Where is that documented? I get font errors with DECterm and would like
to fix that.

Quote:> But with

Post by Lyle Wes » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:54:02

> > Goal: to select a smaller font for the dcl windows opened by fileview (VAX).

(snip)

> Have the same problem and like to know how to solve.
> All this xwindows stuff is so poor documented on VMS.

> Regards, Bob
> --

Following is from cov article from Hoff years ago, which I can't find
right
now, I put it at DECW$USER_DEFAULTS:VUE$MASTER.DAT...

VUE$MASTER*displayWidthInc: 8
VUE$MASTER*displayWidth: 820
VUE$MASTER*fontSetSelection: 1
VUE$MASTER*condensedFont: on
VUE$MASTER*littleFontSetName:
-dec-terminal-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

Note the last line wrapped.

--

Lyle W. West

to reply: Try ell with three dubya's and at with mninter arf net and use
dot rather than arf
__

Post by JF Meze » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:14:41

> > With DECterm, one can specify the exact fonts that are desired.

> How? Where is that documented? I get font errors with DECterm and would like
> to fix that.

In the options -> window menu, you can specify the x-style font to be used.
However, you start to have problems when you want to display stuff such as the
line drawing or technical character sets since DECterm seems to expect a
certain nomemclature for a different font. So if you specify some variation of
courier, then you shoudl have available some variation of courier such as
DEC-DECtech etc.

TECH14.bdf   -DEC-Terminal-Medium-R-Normal--14-140-75-75-C-80-DEC-DECtech
TECHB14.bdf   -DEC-Terminal-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-75-75-C-80-DEC-DECtech
TERM14.bdf   -DEC-Terminal-Medium-R-Normal--14-140-75-75-C-80-ISO8859-1
TERMB14.bdf   -DEC-Terminal-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-75-75-C-80-ISO8859-1

Post by JF Meze » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:17:20

> now, I put it at DECW$USER_DEFAULTS:VUE$MASTER.DAT...

> VUE$MASTER*displayWidthInc: 8
> VUE$MASTER*displayWidth: 820
> VUE$MASTER*fontSetSelection: 1
> VUE$MASTER*condensedFont: on
> VUE$MASTER*littleFontSetName:
> -dec-terminal-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

many many thanks will try this !

Post by Hans Vlem » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:35:06

> > > Goal: to select a smaller font for the dcl windows opened by fileview
(VAX).

> (snip)

> > Have the same problem and like to know how to solve.
> > All this xwindows stuff is so poor documented on VMS.

> > Regards, Bob
> > --
> Following is from cov article from Hoff years ago, which I can't find
> right
> now, I put it at DECW$USER_DEFAULTS:VUE$MASTER.DAT...

> VUE$MASTER*displayWidthInc: 8
> VUE$MASTER*displayWidth: 820
> VUE$MASTER*fontSetSelection: 1
> VUE$MASTER*condensedFont: on
> VUE$MASTER*littleFontSetName:
> -dec-terminal-medium-r-normal--14-100-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

> Note the last line wrapped.

> --

> Lyle W. West

Thank you very much for this information. Is it documented in the VMS
manuals?

Hans