dcl script call inline data in scripts

Post by Steve Sparr » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Date:       16 Aug 1996 15:51:23 GMT

>Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
>Subject:    dcl script call inline data in scripts

>example szenario: (does not work)

>b.com
>$!----------
>$ read sys$input line
>$ write sys$error "line = ""''line'"""
>$!----------

>a.com
>$!----------

>hello
>this is read from b
>$ write sys$error "b is finished"
>$!----------

>is there a methode to redirect the inline data located in script a
>to script b like this is done if an image is used instead of
>a script ?

>kf

>--

Inline data must be inline, not in another command file.
Not only that, it only seems to work for images (*.exe)
who read from sys$input.

Post by Kurt Fran » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

example szenario: (does not work)

b.com
$!----------
$ read sys$input line
$ write sys$error "line = ""''line'"""
$!----------

a.com
$!----------

hello
this is read from b
$ write sys$error "b is finished"
$!----------

is there a methode to redirect the inline data located in script a
to script b like this is done if an image is used instead of
a script ?

kf

--

dcl script call inline data in scripts

Post by John Briggs, VAX system manager, x44 » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> example szenario: (does not work)
> a.com
> $!----------

> hello
> this is read from b
> $ write sys$error "b is finished"
> $!----------

> is there a methode to redirect the inline data located in script a
> to script b like this is done if an image is used instead of
> a script ?

The short answer is "no".

When DCL goes to run the inner procedure, b.com, it closes the outer
procedure file, a.com.  DCL does remember where it left off in A.COM so
that it can pick up there when B.COM exits.

Since A.COM is not open when B.COM executes, there is no way to pick up
the input lines in A that were intended for use in B.

The obvious workaround would be to pass the text lines as parameters.

        (A.COM)

Another possibility would be to pass a file name as the parameter

        (A.COM)
        $ COPY SYS$INPUT TEMP_FILE.TMP
        hello
        this is read from b

Post by Nick de Smit » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Franke) writes:
>> example szenario: (does not work)
>> a.com
>> $!----------

>> hello
>> this is read from b
>> $ write sys$error "b is finished"
>> $!----------

>> is there a methode to redirect the inline data located in script a
>> to script b like this is done if an image is used instead of
>> a script ?

>The short answer is "no".

Actually, there is a hack way of doing it... You can open A.COM for read

start processing the following lines until you get to a line starting
with "$" (or whatever). A bit crufty, but I've used it with some success
in the past. In practice, you could include a placeholding comment on
the line preceding the data, such as "! ***DATA FOLLOWS***" rather than

HTH,

--
Nick de Smith

1. VAXMODEM SCRIPT PROBLEMS. Scripts not dialing modem

does anybody out there know how to specify that a modem has a
Hayes compatible dialer for VAXModem v1.0?  I cannot get a
script file to send "ATDT12345657" to my modems.  I have tried
a multidude of combinations of auto vs. manual dial and dial vs send
commands.

Any ideas/suggestions? (Or should Ijust use kermit)?

Thanks

MichaelHejtmanek

2. HELP!!

3. DCL script to rename multiple versions of a file

4. Looking for HP.news

5. DCL scripting for mail changes

6. DNS Wildcards

7. Suggestion for DCL scripts which open files

8. scanning color negatives as slides ?

9. HFRD Web Server - scripting and DCL.

10. DCL modem scripting?

11. return code from DCL script

12. DCL script for NEWS posts?

13. Internet service provider with DCL scripting capabilities?