UNIX & VMS password synch'ing?

Post by Dave Pickl » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Is it possible to synchronize passwords between UNIX and OpenVMS 7.1?  I see
> that external authenticaion via LAN Manager is now available in 7.1, but I'm
> not sure if this is what I want.  Since my UNIX machines run NIS it would be
> great if there was a NIS client for VMS.  Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

> Matt Harrington

You can authenticate VMS logins against an NT password under VMS7.1. Depending
on your UNIX flavour it is also possible to authenticate Unixen against NT,
using a module called PAM-SMB available from SAMBA mirror sites. That works
for HP-UX 11, Solaris 2.6 and up, and all modern Linux distributions.
--
Dave Pickles

UNIX & VMS password synch'ing?

Post by D.We » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible to synchronize passwords between UNIX and OpenVMS 7.1?  I see
>that external authenticaion via LAN Manager is now available in 7.1, but I'm
>not sure if this is what I want.  Since my UNIX machines run NIS it would be
>great if there was a NIS client for VMS.  Can anyone point me in the right
>direction?

I don't know of any NIS client software for VMS and would not use it if it
was available (I might possibly consider NIS+).
NIS is totally insecure.
If you use NIS for passwords then those passwords (encrypted) are available
to anyone who knows the NIS domainname (or as a local user anyone who can run
either the system supplied or their own copy of ypcat).

Armed with the encrypted password file the user can then run crack at their
leisure.  The standard unix answer to read access to the passwd file was to
use a protected shadow password file - however NIS defeats this since the
NIS passwd MAP contains the encrypted passwords.

David Webb
VMS and Unix team leader
CCSS
Middlesex University

1. Time Sync'ing VAX VMS systems

   It sounds like you are thinking of DTSS from the DECnet extensions.
Since you are in an all VAX VMS environment, that sounds like the way to
go, if you can.  If you have a Unix machine available with the desired
accuracy, you are welcome to try out my rdate program available through
anonymous ftp from ftp.ccsn.edu in pub/rdate.  It requires C and UCX.
--
Russell Mosemann     Concordia College      Voice: (402) 643-7445
Computing Center     Seward, NE 68434       Fax:   (402) 643-4073

2. Bitwise trouble! :)

3. Kermit-ting, Pcomm-ing, and FTP-ing VMS Backup Savesets?

4. VB5 - Winsock - Multi Threading

5. VMS and WNT -- how to synch passwords

6. LDAP Connects to exchange MailBox

7. UNIX like command 'ps','w' on VMS?

8. OS/2 ftp mail server site?

9. COMPARE Unix & VMS: it's a project: can you HEEEELP?

10. 'PATCH'ing AXP executables

11. ftp'ing savesets from W2K to VMS

12. FTP'ing between Win95 and VMS

13. User & Password Setup on OSU's DECThread HTTP Server