Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Steve.Spi.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Contact:   Tel: 3063  -  VSSG, 1st Floor, Bridge Street Plaza

Correct, no specific offence but the police can charge you with related
offences, eg driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving,
etc.

I shall resist the temptation to rant on about the British police and their
persecution of drivers in general, due in part to their reluctance to get
involved with real crime, preferring to concentrate on the heinous crime of
speeding along empty motorways at 3:30am.

Steve Spires (not bitter at all)
VMS System Manager
BT/Yellow Pages



cc:         (bcc: Steve Spires/YellowPages)

           9:42 a.m.

Re: VMS Mail and SMS





>>I'm guessing he means the cellphone Short-Message-Service rather than
>>Microsoft's Sado-*^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^Systems-Management-
>>Server :) In which case see other replies in the thread. It would help
>>if I knew what a "Handy" was (other than something on the end of
>>my "Army").
>     "Handy" is (Swiss-?)Germanspeak for "hand held telephone".
>As opposed to one held where?
>:-)
>(sorry...)

     In an under-dash "hands-free" bracket, maybe?  ;-)

     I was interested to hear that there is no penalty for using a hand-
held mobile phone whilst driving in the UK.  Here it's a CHF 100.- fine,
though I have no idea whether or not it's enforced.

--
Ivan Reid, Paul Scherrer Institute, CH.   http://www.veryComputer.com/

     KotPT -- "for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty".

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Jim Agne » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00


using cell phones while driving i heard is equivalent to driving right
at the legal * level!!!

saw a biker sticker to the effect of shoving the cell phone where the
light won't shine under normal circumstances.. in NO uncertain terms!
;-)

jim


> Contact:   Tel: 3063  -  VSSG, 1st Floor, Bridge Street Plaza

> Correct, no specific offence but the police can charge you with related
> offences, eg driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving,
> etc.

> I shall resist the temptation to rant on about the British police and their
> persecution of drivers in general, due in part to their reluctance to get
> involved with real crime, preferring to concentrate on the heinous crime of
> speeding along empty motorways at 3:30am.

> Steve Spires (not bitter at all)
> VMS System Manager
> BT/Yellow Pages



> cc:         (bcc: Steve Spires/YellowPages)

>            9:42 a.m.

> Re: VMS Mail and SMS





> >>I'm guessing he means the cellphone Short-Message-Service rather than
> >>Microsoft's Sado-*^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^Systems-Management-
> >>Server :) In which case see other replies in the thread. It would help
> >>if I knew what a "Handy" was (other than something on the end of
> >>my "Army").

> >     "Handy" is (Swiss-?)Germanspeak for "hand held telephone".

> >As opposed to one held where?

> >:-)

> >(sorry...)

>      In an under-dash "hands-free" bracket, maybe?  ;-)

>      I was interested to hear that there is no penalty for using a hand-
> held mobile phone whilst driving in the UK.  Here it's a CHF 100.- fine,
> though I have no idea whether or not it's enforced.

> --
> Ivan Reid, Paul Scherrer Institute, CH.   http://www.veryComputer.com/

>      KotPT -- "for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty".


 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Larry D Bohan, J » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>I shall resist the temptation to rant on about the British police and their
>persecution of drivers in general, due in part to their reluctance to get
>involved with real crime, preferring to concentrate on the heinous crime of
>speeding along empty motorways at 3:30am.

over here, I often hear it said that traffic stops
pull in a good percentage of fugitives who might not
have been found otherwise.  

'course I imagine that's more true of California,
than, say Colorado.   CA has so many more cops
roaming around, that it's like a police state in comparism.    

My opinion, anyway.

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Dave Weathera » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00



> using cell phones while driving i heard is equivalent to driving right
> at the legal * level!!!

> saw a biker sticker to the effect of shoving the cell phone where the
> light won't shine under normal circumstances.. in NO uncertain terms!
> ;-)

In Germany it becomes an offence later this year. Quite right too!
There is nothing more unnerving than looking in your rear-view mirror
to find a large car bearing down upon you at high speed with the
driver using one hand to hold the phone and the other to gesticulate
his frustration with whatever he's being told.

Quite simply, it ain't safe.

Cheers - Dave.

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by paddy.o'br.. » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Huh,


>> using cell phones while driving i heard is equivalent to driving right
>> at the legal * level!!!

>> saw a biker sticker to the effect of shoving the cell phone where the
>> light won't shine under normal circumstances.. in NO uncertain terms!
>> ;-)

>In Germany it becomes an offence later this year. Quite right too!
>There is nothing more unnerving than looking in your rear-view mirror
>to find a large car bearing down upon you at high speed with the
>driver using one hand to hold the phone and the other to gesticulate
>his frustration with whatever he's being told.

>Quite simply, it ain't safe.

>Cheers - Dave.

I concede that mobile phones are useful and necessary for some sections of the
community, e.g., service engineers.

I wish the things could be made illegal for anyone who stops dead in the
pavement because his wife wants him to bring back some tomatoes.

Laptops and mobile phones seem to be a new essential for some, a status symbol
for others and a PITA with those who think they are an essential part of human
life.  I still have not worked out what a PC is really useful for :-)

Signed, a dinosaur.

Regards, Paddy

Paddy O'Brien,
Transmission Development,
TransGrid,
PO Box A1000, Sydney South,
NSW 2000, Australia

Tel:   +61 2 9284-3063
Fax:   +61 2 9284-3050

Either "\'" or "\s" (to escape the apostrophe) seems to work for most people,
but that little whizz-bang apostrophe gives me little spam.

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Martin Knoblauc » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> In Germany it becomes an offence later this year. Quite right too!
> There is nothing more unnerving than looking in your rear-view mirror
> to find a large car bearing down upon you at high speed with the
> driver using one hand to hold the phone and the other to gesticulate
> his frustration with whatever he's being told.

 wrong. It already is since Jan 1st. Just a lot of people don't seem to
realise. In most of Europe it has been an offence for some time now.

Martin

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by sre.. » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> I still have not worked out what a PC is really useful for :-)

You mean they're meant to be _useful_ for something?  I thought they were just a
way to get a bigger IT Support budget.  Duh!!!
(Oh, and to make money for Gates so he can*the UK Lottery too)
 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Dan Sugalsk » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>I still have not worked out what a PC is really useful for :-)

Running Windows? Well there's... uh... Okay, maybe not. An intel box in
general's useful-- they're cheap toys for play Freeciv and Angband, and the
laptops are useful as a mobile X terminal. There are probably other uses,
but I can't think of them offhand.

                                        Dan

--------------------------------------"it's like this"-------------------
Dan Sugalski                          even samurai

                                      teddy bears get drunk

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Tim Llewelly » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00



> using cell phones while driving i heard is equivalent to driving right
> at the legal * level!!!

Depends, if you use a hands free and limit yourself to short, nonemotional
converstations it is IMHO not that dangerous. After all, there are people
who are on the roads who are a liability even though they are neither
drunk or using a mobile.

--
Tim Llewellyn, OpenVMS Infrastructure, Remarcs Project
MedAS at the BBC, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, UK.

I speak for myself only and my views in no way represent those of
MedAS or the BBC.

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Jim Agne » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00


i'm still using my 386sx 16mhz for kermit right now at the moment...

jim


> Huh,


> >> using cell phones while driving i heard is equivalent to driving right
> >> at the legal * level!!!

> >> saw a biker sticker to the effect of shoving the cell phone where the
> >> light won't shine under normal circumstances.. in NO uncertain terms!
> >> ;-)

> >In Germany it becomes an offence later this year. Quite right too!
> >There is nothing more unnerving than looking in your rear-view mirror
> >to find a large car bearing down upon you at high speed with the
> >driver using one hand to hold the phone and the other to gesticulate
> >his frustration with whatever he's being told.

> >Quite simply, it ain't safe.

> >Cheers - Dave.

> I concede that mobile phones are useful and necessary for some sections of the
> community, e.g., service engineers.

> I wish the things could be made illegal for anyone who stops dead in the
> pavement because his wife wants him to bring back some tomatoes.

> Laptops and mobile phones seem to be a new essential for some, a status symbol
> for others and a PITA with those who think they are an essential part of human
> life.  I still have not worked out what a PC is really useful for :-)

> Signed, a dinosaur.

> Regards, Paddy

> Paddy O'Brien,
> Transmission Development,
> TransGrid,
> PO Box A1000, Sydney South,
> NSW 2000, Australia

> Tel:   +61 2 9284-3063
> Fax:   +61 2 9284-3050

> Either "\'" or "\s" (to escape the apostrophe) seems to work for most people,
> but that little whizz-bang apostrophe gives me little spam.

 
 
 

Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

Post by Dave Weathera » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00


On Sun, 10 Feb 3900 11:26:04, "Martin Knoblauch"


> > In Germany it becomes an offence later this year. Quite right too!

>  wrong. It already is since Jan 1st. Just a lot of people don't seem to
> realise. In most of Europe it has been an offence for some time now.

Thanks Martin
                            when I wrote it I couldn't quite remember
whether it was January, April or June. If I see someone using theirs
on the 99 this morning, I'll be sure to remind 'em :-) If we were in
States, no doubt there would be one of those car bumper/fender
tickers.  

Cheers - Dave.