Opaque window movement under AmigaDos?

Post by Steve Kor » Thu, 12 Mar 1992 11:49:49

Does anyone know whether it is possible to implement opaque window
movement under AmigaDos?  What I mean by "opaque" is that instead
of just dragging the window border, you drag the entire window,
contents and all.

I was noticing the other day that 2.04 seems much smarter about
simple refresh windows.  I have a fairly fast CPU in my system, and
if I try to simulate opaque movement by clicking and releasing the
mouse button quickly while moving a window, it seems to work OK,
or about as well as it does in X11.  This works OK even when over a
simple refresh window.  I wouldn't want to try it on a 68000, but
it seems doable on a 68040 or maybe some of the faster 68030s.
The key is that you only update it as often as you can (sort of
the equivilant concept to jump-scrolling for shell windows).

   - steve

Opaque window movement under AmigaDos?

Post by Nobody Speci » Tue, 17 Mar 1992 04:02:40

writes:

Quote:

>Does anyone know whether it is possible to implement opaque window
>movement under AmigaDos?  What I mean by "opaque" is that instead
>of just dragging the window border, you drag the entire window,
>contents and all.

>I was noticing the other day that 2.04 seems much smarter about
>simple refresh windows.  I have a fairly fast CPU in my system, and
>if I try to simulate opaque movement by clicking and releasing the
>mouse button quickly while moving a window, it seems to work OK,
>or about as well as it does in X11.  This works OK even when over a
>simple refresh window.  I wouldn't want to try it on a 68000, but
>it seems doable on a 68040 or maybe some of the faster 68030s.
>The key is that you only update it as often as you can (sort of
>the equivilant concept to jump-scrolling for shell windows).

>   - steve

Ive once used a program called NeXTWin, about a year and a half ago.. What it
did was block off the window you were dragging as a very large "icon"
...Meaning you picked up the window, and everything in the window, text,
graphics,whatever.. Used the blitter to drag it around. The program was a
little buggy, as it did on occasion leave ghosted "trails" of the window as
you moved it.

                                                                  __
+--------------------------------------------------------+ +-----///---------+

+--------------------------------------------------------+ | \\X// A M I G A |
|"Whip it..Quintos Amigos....Whip It MY ASS!" -Rod Rooter| +--\X/------------+

1. Opaque window drag under 3.0

Does anyone know of a program that will give me opaque window drag under 3.0 and
AGA? I saw a progarms on Aminet called TurboLayers (TL) that did this, but it
seems to roll over and die at the faintest sniff of an AGA chipset. AAny ideas?

(comments along the lines of 'boot up in ECS mode will NOT be appreciated :-) )

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris Brown

   Amiga 1200, 6MB, 80 Meg harddisk, 25MHz 68882, 262144 colours on screen

2. * Hardware Listing

3. how to do opaque window size/move

4. Neophite question

5. Cursor movement in CLI window with DICE - How?

6. 3COM OfficeConnect Question

7. AmigaDOS VS Windows

8. Getting printer status even when no print job is printing

9. Why AmigaDOS is less lame than Windows..

10. Predefined size for AmigaDOS window?

11. Windows GDI printers - AmigaDOS Drivers?

12. UNIX -> OS/2 -> AmigaDOS -> MsDOS -> Windows