Mono-video jack

Post by James L » Mon, 26 Nov 1990 06:36:01

Quote:>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook
>up an old B&W TV to it to see if it worked with no success, any idea why
>that didn't work?

The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jlee

Mono-video jack

Post by Michael Richards » Mon, 26 Nov 1990 16:45:58

>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

  More interesting to me is if anyone has ever tried to hook a Sun
monitor up to an Amiga? I'm told that I'll need a new Denise (and my
512k Agnus could use an upgrade), AND 2.0 to get anything out of it.
  I'll also want CA= to release their ethernet board and a copy of
GfxBase's X windows of course...

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

    - Pay attention only to _MY_ opinions. -         registration in progress.

Mono-video jack

Post by Donald P Perl » Fri, 30 Nov 1990 04:03:11

>>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook
>>up an old B&W TV to it to see if it worked with no success, any idea why
>>that didn't work?

It is a baseband video signal, not an RF (ie channel 3 or 4) signal.
The easiest way to see it on a TV without a video input is by hooking
it up to a VCR, and the VCR to the tv.  Standalone converters are
pretty cheap, but a lot of people already have a VCR.

One reason for the jack being mono is that it can (should) be as sharp
as the RGB signal from the 23 pin jack.  A composite color video
signal can't be.

Quote:>The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

Or he uses interlace with a long persistance mono monitor, or wants
SOMETHING that works while he waits for the store to get color
monitors back in stock (that happened to me).

-don perley

Mono-video jack

Post by John Spar » Fri, 30 Nov 1990 06:36:54

>>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook
>The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

I haven't seen the Apple II monitor, but most monochrome monitors I have seen
are NOT composite video (which is what the jack in the 2000, and 500 puts
out). You can hook the jack into a VCR or a TV with composite video in and
use your amiga in B&W. The reason James lee probably couldn't get it to
work with his TV was that his TV tuner doesn't accept composite video, only
RF. He needs a modulator like the A520. And then he even gets color.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

Mono-video jack

Post by John Spar » Fri, 30 Nov 1990 06:44:23

>use your amiga in B&W. The reason James lee probably couldn't get it to

                                   ^^^^^^^^^
Oops, sorry, I meant "Mathew Pierce".

John
--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

1. That mono-video jack in back

It's for monochrome video.  In trying to hook it up to a TV, to what did you
hook it? It is not an RF connector, but is composite video.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |

2. Network/Modem + Keyboard?

3. Jack Ole A-hole [EdWIN and Jack Andrews]

4. Atari Works questions...

5. FS: 1084D NTSC Mono Color Video Monitor...

6. Help Required

7. How do I use the mono video output on A500

8. WinOnCD manual

9. A4000T headphone O/P mono?

10. VGA mono monitor w/o connector

11. Can A1200 output to a cheap VGA mono monitor?

12. Connection of Sun mono monitor to Amiga?