DEC RZ-56 jumper settings?

Post by Rodent of Unusual Si » Wed, 08 Jul 1992 06:57:30

>In dealing with these drives, we found that some of the DEC RZ-5x
>drives could not be configed to spin up on power on without cutting
>traces on the circuit board. I don't believe the 56 such, though.

    I haven't found anything else in this thread, so please pardon me if this
    has already been mentioned..

    There is a way to clear the SPD (Spin-up Disable) bit for at least some of
    the Digital RZ series drives.  I was able to get it work on a RZ55, but
    not on an RZ57 - your mileage may vary.

    The procedure I have requires a VAXstation 3100 system and the infamous
    Red Spoon (MMJ loopback).  One inserts the Red Spoon, cycles power, and

     >>> t 73

    Answer the questions about port and ID of the drive; then

     RUsure? 42000001

    The test may or may not fail, but it *should* clear the SPD bit.

    The rune to set the SPD bit is

     RUsure? 41000001

    When you're all done, remove the Red Spoon and cycle power again, to clear
    the Deep Magic (field-service) mode.

    #ken    :-)}        Jeratol the Chaotic

Massachusetts, USA       | and let thee out.'  - Prospero (_The Tempest_)

DEC RZ-56 jumper settings?

Post by W. Bruce Moo » Thu, 09 Jul 1992 08:09:00

|>    There is a way to clear the SPD (Spin-up Disable) bit for at least some of
|>    the Digital RZ series drives.  I was able to get it work on a RZ55, but
|>    not on an RZ57 - your mileage may vary.

The RZ57 drive uses a jumper (W5) to enable/disable spin-up.  All previous
RZxx models used the SPD bit stored in the drive's NVRAM configuration area.

--
    W. Bruce Moore

1. DEC RZ-56 jumper settings?

I recently purchased a used DEC RZ-56 620 mb harddrive (I believe the actual
mechanism is made by Micropolis).  I am trying to use the hard-drive with
an Amiga 3000T.  The drive spins up and formats fine on my friend's IBM
clone SCSI controller but won't spin up when installed in my Amiga.  Has
anyone successfully used one of these drives in an Amiga?  I have no docs -
could someone please send me a description of the jumper settings for this
drive?  Is it possible that the drive is set-up so that it doesn't
spin up at power-up time but rather waits to receive some "spin-up"
command that the 3000's controller isn't sending?  If so how can I change
it so that it will spin up at power-up time?

Thanks alot.  ANY syggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

                                                        - Chris

2. Upstream Proxy Problem

3. INFO WANTED ON DEC RZ SCSI DRIVES

4. The ugly question: Do I upgrade to OSX or not?

5. Blizzard 1260 & 56 MHz?

6. gcc and shared libraries

7. FS -- 56 KBS Modem $59 -- 7.1 GIG HD $303 -- 32 meg RAM $64

8. Help - a Yellow Streak in my Scans

9. 4-Sale: ***AMAX II (v2.56) with 128K

10. 4-Sale: ***AMAX II (v2.56) with 128K ROMs***

11. Sas6.56 Bug?

12. ** WIN A US ROBOTICS 56.6KB MODEM **

13. Pace 56 Solo Upgrade