Catweasel question

Post by Marcel DeVo » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Greetings,
> I bought a Catweasel floppy controller for my towered A4000, and it
> works very well with a standard PC drive. It's the model that plugs
> into the IDE port with IDE pass-through.
> I thought it would be nice to include an Amiga floppy connected to
> the motherboard floppy socket as DF0, using the original floppy
> cable.  However I find the system can't properly see DF0.  It
> either says "No disk in drive" or else "Not a valid DOS disk".  I
> tried a straight-through floppy cable (no twists and only one drive
> header) but this makes no difference.  I can plug in an external
> drive and it becomes DF2 and this works ok.
> If I change jumper J352 to make DF0 external, it then sees the
> external drive as DF0, but still says "Not a valid DOS disk" and
> now it can't see the Catweasel drives (TD0 etc).
> I knew one can't boot from a Catweasel controlled floppy, but it
> appears that one can't even have a DF0.  Is this a fact?  Would a
> Kylwalda enable a DF0 _and_ the facilities provided by Catweasel?

Yep.

(how's that for a complete answer? ;-)

--

A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

Catweasel question

Post by Craig L. Blackma » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On 14-Mar-00 12:14:00,  Re: Catweasel question,   John Marchant typed:

>>> I knew one can't boot from a Catweasel controlled floppy, but it
>>> appears that one can't even have a DF0.  Is this a fact?  Would a
>>> Kylwalda enable a DF0 _and_ the facilities provided by Catweasel?
>>Yep.
>>(how's that for a complete answer? ;-)
>Fine thanks. Very economical :-)

Nice and short but what is a Kylwalda?

        "Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

      Cheers from Craig of Tucson, Arizona, USA

"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Einstein

Catweasel question

Post by Marcel DeVo » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> On 14-Mar-00 12:14:00,  Re: Catweasel question,   John Marchant typed:

>>>Yep.
>>>(how's that for a complete answer? ;-)
>>Fine thanks. Very economical :-)
> Nice and short but what is a Kylwalda?

It works in conjunction with a Catweasel made by the same people,
Individual Computers, for the Amiga version. Hence the odd name (again).

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Oddly, Jens Schoenfeld never put it on his web page (he told me he never
got around to it a year ago and still hasn't) but Power Computing has it,

http://www.veryComputer.com/

but also oddly not in the same section as the Catweasle but in the
"Storage" section.

Oh yes, "What is it?" ;)  It's an add-on to the Catweasel and connects
between it and the Paula chip and allows the PC drive on the Catweasel to
boot as a "true" Amiga DD floppy drive DF0: even with old NDOS and
original protected Amiga disks of any type for 100% compatability.

At least so the claim goes (I haven't even hooked mine up yet but have
it just in case my Amiga drive dies).

But it still allows the Catweasel to act as a high speed (read "normal")
HD drive with it's drivers.

The Kylwalda add-on is relatively inexpensive, $15.95 BP (but about twice
as much in the USA IIRC) and if you already have a Catweasel, is an
attractive alternative to trying to find a real Amiga drive when PC ones
are readily available and very cheap.

BTW, this is the Amiga floppy solution that the BoXer is going to use.
Jens told me. ;-)  (course, that was over a year ago, things may have
changed, the way the BoXer is going)

--

A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

Catweasel question

Post by Craig L. Blackma » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On 15-Mar-00 10:33:37,  Re: Catweasel question,   Marcel DeVoe typed:

Quote:>BTW, this is the Amiga floppy solution that the BoXer is going to use.
>Jens told me. ;-)  (course, that was over a year ago, things may have
>changed, the way the BoXer is going)

Thanks Marcel - BTW the situation is even worse - It is now confirmed that
Amiga Format will stop publishing.

I would love to see Amiga Inc. do something that can change this.

        "Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

      Cheers from Craig of Tucson, Arizona, USA

Take my advice.  I don't use it anyway.

Catweasel question

Post by Marcel DeVo » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> On 15-Mar-00 10:33:37,  Re: Catweasel question,   Marcel DeVoe typed:
>>BTW, this is the Amiga floppy solution that the BoXer is going to use.
>>Jens told me. ;-)  (course, that was over a year ago, things may have
>>changed, the way the BoXer is going)
> Thanks Marcel - BTW the situation is even worse - It is now confirmed that
> Amiga Format will stop publishing.
> I would love to see Amiga Inc. do something that can change this.

Oh, boy! And someone was just telling me I should subscribe to it and was
about to.

Oh well. At least I got my letter published in the April issue about the
Elbox 7 slot zorro board fix (although not in a manner I would have liked.
I'm told that they made it sound like they supplied it to ME from Elbox
and not the other way around. Thanks Simon. :-/  ).

Since we in the US only "just" got the March issue with fully working (not
demos) versions of Fusion3.1 and PCx, the April issue won't show up on
these shores in Border's Bookstores for another 4 weeks.

Do you know what month will be the last issue?

At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.

--

A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

Catweasel question

Post by phinea » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

> > On 15-Mar-00 10:33:37,  Re: Catweasel question,   Marcel DeVoe typed:

> >>BTW, this is the Amiga floppy solution that the BoXer is going to use.
> >>Jens told me. ;-)  (course, that was over a year ago, things may have
> >>changed, the way the BoXer is going)

> > Thanks Marcel - BTW the situation is even worse - It is now confirmed that
> > Amiga Format will stop publishing.

> > I would love to see Amiga Inc. do something that can change this.

> Oh, boy! And someone was just telling me I should subscribe to it and was
> about to.

That must have been me - sorry if it gave you a scare, Marcel.  But AFAIC,
the above is still only a rumour. I just received a letter from Future
Publishing, they thank me for subscribing and confirm that the subscription
will commence with the June/2000 issue.

Sure, this may only be a standard form, perhaps soon to be followed by one
saying sorry, but blah-blah, etc., but the April issue of AF announces a
review of the Boxer (I'm not making this up.!) to come in the May issue.

Could they go out on such a bold note, you think.?  8-)

Quote:> At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
> publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.

That's Amiga Active - www.amigactive.com - and yes, it should be available
all over the world, at least via subscription.  Excellent mag too.

C'ya,

--
. :) :                                              ^     ^   \/        .
..|aul.................NOSPAM = relicworld........./-\MIG/-\ E/\ECology..

Catweasel question

Post by Matthew Wis » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

> > > On 15-Mar-00 10:33:37,  Re: Catweasel question,   Marcel DeVoe typed:

> > > Thanks Marcel - BTW the situation is even worse - It is now confirmed
that
> > > Amiga Format will stop publishing.

> > > I would love to see Amiga Inc. do something that can change this.

> > Oh, boy! And someone was just telling me I should subscribe to it and
was
> > about to.

> That must have been me - sorry if it gave you a scare, Marcel.  But AFAIC,
> the above is still only a rumour. I just received a letter from Future
> Publishing, they thank me for subscribing and confirm that the
subscription
> will commence with the June/2000 issue.

I'm afraid it is true, AF have to close

There is supposed to be an official announcement soon, but it is not just a
rumour :(

Quote:

> Sure, this may only be a standard form, perhaps soon to be followed by one
> saying sorry, but blah-blah, etc., but the April issue of AF announces a
> review of the Boxer (I'm not making this up.!) to come in the May issue.

> Could they go out on such a bold note, you think.?  8-)

> > At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
> > publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.

> That's Amiga Active - www.amigactive.com - and yes, it should be available
> all over the world, at least via subscription.  Excellent mag too.

Catweasel question

Post by Craig L. Blackma » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On 17-Mar-00 07:11:55,  Re: Amiga Format demise? (Was: Catweasel question),
phineas typed:

>In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

>> > On 15-Mar-00 10:33:37,  Re: Catweasel question,   Marcel DeVoe typed:

>> > Thanks Marcel - BTW the situation is even worse - It is now confirmed
>> > that Amiga Format will stop publishing.

>> > I would love to see Amiga Inc. do something that can change this.

>> Oh, boy! And someone was just telling me I should subscribe to it and was
>> about to.
>That must have been me - sorry if it gave you a scare, Marcel.  But AFAIC,
>the above is still only a rumour. I just received a letter from Future
>Publishing, they thank me for subscribing and confirm that the subscription
>will commence with the June/2000 issue.
>Sure, this may only be a standard form, perhaps soon to be followed by one
>saying sorry, but blah-blah, etc., but the April issue of AF announces a
>review of the Boxer (I'm not making this up.!) to come in the May issue.
>Could they go out on such a bold note, you think.?  8-)
>> At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
>> publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.
>That's Amiga Active - www.amigactive.com - and yes, it should be available
>all over the world, at least via subscription.  Excellent mag too.

Well what I saw seemed legit so I would be more than happy to know it was
still in business.  I never heard a word from Amazing about the rest of my
subscription.  Of course did anyone?
        "Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

      Cheers from Craig of Tucson, Arizona, USA

"Man who run behind car get exhausted. Man who run in front of car get tired."

Catweasel question

Post by Marcel DeVo » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

>> Oh, boy! And someone was just telling me I should subscribe to it and was
>> about to.
> That must have been me - sorry if it gave you a scare, Marcel.  But AFAIC,
> the above is still only a rumour. I just received a letter from Future
> Publishing, they thank me for subscribing and confirm that the subscription
> will commence with the June/2000 issue.
> Sure, this may only be a standard form, perhaps soon to be followed by one
> saying sorry, but blah-blah, etc., but the April issue of AF announces a
> review of the Boxer (I'm not making this up.!) to come in the May issue.
> Could they go out on such a bold note, you think.?  8-)

I'm afraid it's true. Check the news section of this web site,

http://www.veryComputer.com/

At least Future publishing, the parent company, will offer you an
alternative. Amazing Amiga was family owned and couldn't make such an
offer.

Quote:>> At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
>> publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.
> That's Amiga Active - www.amigactive.com - and yes, it should be available
> all over the world, at least via subscription.  Excellent mag too.

I'm going to see if I can get a subscription. Hopefully since they just
started up they will stay around for a bit.

I NEED my monthly "fix" of Amiga print material. :-/

--

Post by phinea » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

> > the above is still only a rumour. I just received a letter from Future
[...]
> I'm afraid it's true. Check the news section of this web site,

> http://news.amiga.org

I'll check that one too.  Really sad.  Meanwhile I saw the news on here, a
letter from Ben Vost:

    http://realdreams.cz/amiga/local/15_3afclose.html

Quote:> At least Future publishing, the parent company, will offer you an
> alternative. Amazing Amiga was family owned and couldn't make such an
> offer.

Oh, I doubt I want any alternatives, I don't have a peecee or N64 - but they
will refund any money they owe anyway, I'm not worried about that.

Quote:> >> At least there's another British Amiga magazine who just started
> >> publishing, although I'm not sure if it is available to the US.

> > That's Amiga Active - www.amigactive.com - and yes, it should be available
> > all over the world, at least via subscription.  Excellent mag too.

> I'm going to see if I can get a subscription. Hopefully since they just
> started up they will stay around for a bit.

A little bit more pricey than AF - but I like their open attitude.  In one
of the issues I have here they review a couple of Palm thingies, one of them
a Psion 5 - for Amigans on the move.  My GF wants one, and I will have to
connect it to her a1200... ;)

Quote:> I NEED my monthly "fix" of Amiga print material. :-/

Yeah, exactly.  It somehow isn't the same browsing through a website to
compare tech specs and whatever when looking for hardware.  I do like the
look of glossy ads, funny as that may sound...

Wish me luck, I'm about to tower my A4k - Power Comp were lightning fast, it
arrived the day after I ordered it.  It will need a couple of hacks though,
due to the CS060 Mk I SCSI external connector needing that cutout above the
serial, and the simm tower getting in the way with the bottom of the front
drive bay...

C'ya,

--
. :) :                                              ^     ^   \/        .

Post by phinea » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

> > A little bit more pricey than AF - but I like their open attitude.  In one
> > of the issues I have here they review a couple of Palm thingies, one of them
> > a Psion 5 - for Amigans on the move.  My GF wants one, and I will have to
> > connect it to her a1200... ;)

> AF did that also a few issues back.

Hmmm, yes, you are right.  Memory needs a faster refresh rate at 54...

Quote:> I'm hoping they will send subscriptions to the USA.

Can't see why not.  The magazine does quote prices for UK, Europe or World.
The differences must be due to the postage - nearly $40 extra for your side
of the pond.  For 12 issues I pay 55.90ukp, while it's 78ukp worldwide.

Quote:> > Wish me luck, I'm about to tower my A4k - Power Comp were lightning fast, it
> > arrived the day after I ordered it.  It will need a couple of hacks though,
> > due to the CS060 Mk I SCSI external connector needing that cutout above the
> > serial, and the simm tower getting in the way with the bottom of the front
> > drive bay...

> It's a little diconcerting that it doesn't come with any documentation.
> Although things can usually be worked out, it's still nice to have a
> guide. In case you missed the Amiga format review and construction details
> of it, check out Kevin Twyman (aka the Jeepster) excellant construction
> details uploaded to Aminet,

> hard/misc A4KTower.lha

Ah, that's the one.!  I /knew/ it was on Aminet too.  I managed to dig out
the AF issue as well.

And the tower *does* come with a 7-page booklet, which wasn't included in
the parcel, but he sent it on after I spoke to him on the phone. Arrived
next morning. :)

Quote:> Also gives a bit more info about wire placement. One thing you'll notice
> between the tower you just recieved and the one pictured in both Kevin's
> guide and the one in AF is the fact that the zorro slot front guides are
> missing from yours.

> When I emailed Power Computing about this, they said that was because
> "no one makes full sized zorro boards anymore."

> Pretty lame excuse in my opinion for a cost cutting maneuver. All the
> zorro boards "I" currently have *are* full sized and was one of the
> reasons I wanted the 7 slots in the first place.

First thing I noticed too when I looked at the AF pictures.

The explanation I was given was that they don't make peecee towers with
those any more.  Seems to me that powerc find it hard to admit that these
are converted pc towers.  The Standby/Reset buttons should give that away.
And they don't make full sized ISA or PCI cards any more, AFAIK, so their
excuse to you may have been partially correct.

I am not fussed at all, as long as it works.  Still Moto inside... :)

Quote:> Ah, well. Although they swing freely, as long as you don't drop the tower
> onto the floor, ;) they are still fairly well supported via the faceplate.

It might be possible to make this up, using the old guides from the desktop,
and a plastic lunch-box - if you intend to use it as a 'portable'.  ;)

At the moment I have a '486 fan on the '060, which is just sitting on top -
still have to find a convenient way to fix it in place once it's in a
vertical position in the tower.  Wonder if that thermal compound is sticky
enough to hold it.?  :/

Quote:> If you are planning to use any fast ZIII controller DMA zorro boards with
> the Elbox slots, such as a 4091 or Fastlane controller boards, Elbox sent
> me a fix which I forwarded to Amiga Format and they put it on their April
> cover disk (although my letter was published in such a way as though
> *they* got it from Elbox and was supplying it to ME. Poetic licence I
> guess)

Just sold my a4091 - never could get it to work with the Delfina.  No probs
with recording via the Mk I SCSI on the CS060 which I replaced it with, it
does (SysInfo) 6MB/sec with the UW SCSI-3 drive and 4.2MB/sec with a newer
4gig IBM SCSI-2 drive.  Cool, but I can still aspire to a CSPPC... ;)

There is the CV64-3D card that's ZIII, so I will check out your fix, I have
the April AF already.  And never mind them, Marcel - *I* will remember where
it comes from, been reading this group for a while now. :)

C'ya,

--
. :) :                                              ^     ^   \/        .
..|aul.................NOSPAM = relicworld........./-\MIG/-\ E/\ECology..

1. Catweasel question!

On 26-Aug-97 15:57:55, David Collingwood said about Re: Catweasel question!:

You can't use a Catweasel drive as DFO to boot from. You can get one to appear
as DF0 on your workbench, but you have to dismount the "real" DF0 and then
mount the Catweasel drive as DF0, which generally needs a HD to do this
(through the startup-sequence).

AFAIK, the only A1200 bootable HD drive is the Blittersoft internal one, which
is just an A4000 drive clone (works the same way - half speed HD)

Chris
--
     Chris Appleton      : Amiga: Not dead, just hibernating for a while

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

2. Missing computers near me icon

3. Catweasel Question

4. Mustek Twainscan 600 III EP Plus

5. CATWEASEL question

6. TS Commands

7. TRADE: PC catweasel 4 Amiga catweasel A-1200

8. Newer Netscape

9. Catweasel MkII question

10. Catweasel Mark 3 question

11. New Catweasel