A4000 desktop into a tower.

Post by Rick VanGess » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I have been reading about the conversion of an A1200 into a full tower with Zorro Slots in one of the euro-mags.  The article mentions some kits for the A4000 desktop to turn it into a tower.  Also I have seen some ads for a kit from Blittersoft.  Has anyone transformed their A4000d with this kit or any other?  Does it work?  Was it easy to do?  Finally, did the kit live up to your expectations?

Thanks,

Rick

A4000 desktop into a tower.

Post by Gary Lea » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, I have been reading about the conversion of an A1200 into a full
> tower with Zorro Slots in one of the euro-mags.  The article mentions
> some kits for the A4000 desktop to turn it into a tower.  Also I have
> seen some ads for a kit from Blittersoft.  Has anyone transformed
> their A4000d with this kit or any other?  Does it work?  Was it easy
> to do?  Finally, did the kit live up to your expectations?

> Thanks,

> Rick

I moved my desktop A4000 into a standard PC Tower case.  I needed extra
drive bays and was suffering from heat problems.

The tricky part was the zorro slots which were at right angles to the
slots on the back of the case.  So I cut out the slots from the case and
moved over the frame from the desktop.  The motherboard is held to the
case via strips of velcro!

I'm sure the specific kits do a neater job, but my only cost was the PC
Tower box with power supply which I bought for about 80 here in the
UK.  I did this around 12 months ago and no problems since.

The kits do offer other advantages - extra zorro slots and the ability
to add a Pentium PC inside the same case.

regards
Gary Leach

A4000 desktop into a tower.

Post by Julian Knigh » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, I have been reading about the conversion of an A1200 into a full tower with
>Zorro Slots in one of the euro-mags.  The article mentions some kits for the
>A4000 desktop to turn it into a tower.  Also I have seen some ads for a kit from
>Blittersoft.  Has anyone transformed their A4000d with this kit or any other?
>Does it work?  Was it easy to do?  Finally, did the kit live up to your
>expectations?

I purchased an Eagle tower kit from Blittersoft before Christmas.

It took a couple of months to arrive! It seems that Eagle are really not
all that interested in customers - at one point Blittersoft told me that
the latest excuse for not shipping was that the whole of Eagle was at a
show!!!!! :-<

Anyway, when it arrived it was fairly difficult to put together as few
of the parts fitted together really well & some parts did not match the
documentation (which itself is slim and of minimal help) such as the
connectors for the power supply which in no way match the documentation
provided - bear in mind that I've dealt with PC's professionally for
years so I know a little about hardware.

Finally I got it all working - it probably took around 5-7 evenings
work. Only to find that my OpalVision board would stop the machine from
powering up.  Fearing some disaster on my part I got technical support
from Blittersoft only to be told that the Eagle expansion board IS NOT
COMPATABLE with the Opal - they suggested contacting Eagle directly -
I've done this, even offering to send them my Opal to get the problem
fixed but I have NEVER HAD ANY REPLY AT ALL from Eagle.

I can safely say then that you would probably be better off finding an
alternative manufacturer for your tower.

Having said all the negative things - It IS really nice to have an Amiga
with plenty of room & have one that is:
  a) Not overheating all the time and
  b) Has a sufficiently powerful power supplyto stop the crashes I
     was getting.
I was about an inch away from returning the tower to Blittersoft as
unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold but in the end I
decided to keep it as overall - having the extra room was more important
than the Opal card.

If you need any more detail than this, please let me know - perhaps that
will encourage me to write the review that I've been meaning to do for a
while.

--
Julian Knight, Team AMIGA