Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by Mik » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 21:23:11

        Browsing through a copy of `Amiga Format' recently I noticed that
a PD company was offering a version of `Atic Atac' for the Amiga. Has anyone
out there played this version? I have wonderful sepia-toned memories of
playing it in WH Smiths on a wet Saturday all those years ago and would hate
to be disappointed by an inferior version....

        Alternatively, does the original Ultimate version run on the Amiga
Spectrum emulator? I'm sure I saw the tape for it at home somewhere......

                                        Mike.

PS. Has a game like `Atic Atac' ever been released on the Amiga? I can't
remember seeing one. What a gap for some enterprising company to fill - are
you reading this Stefan? - hint hint....

address ... (if you're that desperate).       `-\ \  ______  - 0 -
                                                 \ \/ ` /  \  /|\ _

                                                    | |==| |=----/
---- Why not drop me a line ...? -------------------hn/--hn/-----------

Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by ozk.. » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 22:45:34

>    Browsing through a copy of `Amiga Format' recently I noticed that
> a PD company was offering a version of `Atic Atac' for the Amiga. Has anyone
> out there played this version? I have wonderful sepia-toned memories of
> playing it in WH Smiths on a wet Saturday all those years ago and would hate
> to be disappointed by an inferior version....

>    Alternatively, does the original Ultimate version run on the Amiga
> Spectrum emulator? I'm sure I saw the tape for it at home somewhere......

>                                    Mike.

I have a version on a spectrum emulator of this game and I can see the appeal
to it(I had a C64 then).The spectrum emulator version was soooo slow !!! I
think it may work better on a 1200 though!...If you want a copy of this emulator
cos the one I have got is PD send me an email with address and a nice letter
ect and I can sort something out!.

Cheers :)
Ejber

Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by Farid Rah » Fri, 03 Dec 1993 19:33:39

[stuff deleted]

> >       Alternatively, does the original Ultimate version run on the Amiga
> > Spectrum emulator? I'm sure I saw the tape for it at home somewhere......

> >                                       Mike.

> I have a version on a spectrum emulator of this game and I can see the appeal
> to it(I had a C64 then).The spectrum emulator version was soooo slow !!! I
> think it may work better on a 1200 though!...If you want a copy of this emulator
> cos the one I have got is PD send me an email with address and a nice letter
> ect and I can sort something out!.

I confirm it runs faster on faster Amiga's ;-). Trouble is it runs too damn
fast on say a 4000/030. I tried Manic Miner (Tununununununum Tununum Tum..)
and it runs about 1.5 to 2 times faster than on my 48K 4Mhz ZX Spectrum.

Also, the emulator is not perfect, despite the tremendeous efforts by the
author. Elite (I remember it took me 3 weeks to remove the copy protection
back in '85-86 - during an exam period) starts up but crashes as soon as
you try something...

Those were the days !

Farid.

Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by Ralph Barbagal » Sat, 04 Dec 1993 09:56:10

        On my 4000/030 some games seem faster on the Speccy emulator
and some seem too slow.  Batty, for one, slows down when three balls
are on the screen.

        BTW, how many voices of sound does the Speccy have? On some
games the music is so bad, it sounds like metal scraping against
a chalk-board.  (Thunderbirds for example.)  But, for some reason
I have this theory that it was a software hack to get 2 voices out
of the 1 voice chip but it doesn't come out right on the Emulator...
is this right, or wrong?  I can't belive software developers would
release games with sound that bad..!

"Maybe Atari will do well overseas.  Jerry Lewis movies do very well overseas."
Scott Cohen -ZAP!:  The Rise and Fall of Atari (1984)

Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by Mike Nore » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 17:59:52

 M>         Browsing through a copy of `Amiga Format' recently I noticed
 M> that a PD company was offering a version of `Atic Atac' for the Amiga.

YES! Atic-Atac, together with Doomdarks Revenge and Underwurlde - those
were my absolute favourites on the Spectrum!

If you do get Atic Atac, and it is PD, would you mind UUencoding it and
mailing it to me?

 M>                                         Mike.

                        FidoNet: 2:201/411.14

--- Spot 1.2b Unreg.

Atic Atac - ah the nostalgia!

Post by Mattias Myrbe » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 08:35:54

:  M>         Browsing through a copy of `Amiga Format' recently I noticed
:  M> that a PD company was offering a version of `Atic Atac' for the Amiga.

: YES! Atic-Atac, together with Doomdarks Revenge and Underwurlde - those
: were my absolute favourites on the Spectrum!

: If you do get Atic Atac, and it is PD, would you mind UUencoding it and
: mailing it to me?

Duh, I heard bad things about the Amiga version.

Speaking of old games, I think I've waited something like 9 years to play
the sequel to Sabre Wulf. This time a *legal* copy 8-)

Now, if only that service shop would hurry up and send me my A1200!

Mattias

1. Atic Atac for Amiga. Where?

I recently heard that there exists a PD (or shareware?) version of the
old Spectrum classic Atic Atac for the Amiga, but I haven't been able
to find it on any FTP site. Could anyone direct me to it or upload it
somewhere?

Thanks in advance

  /Fredrik Ekman

2. FA: UK - Ram Expansion for Amiga 1200 (4mb, RTC)

3. ah man!

4. Cannot load network(0)bootp

5. thunderhawk ah-73

6. FS: Powerful BEEB, A5000 and manuals