A question about this emulator VS AmigaOne thing...

A question about this emulator VS AmigaOne thing...

Post by Soro » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:29:17

This new stripped down..super fast UAE thing seems good, I'm assuming it
runs all WB friendly apps faster than 060 on a good spec PC box? Now, while
I"m all for this and soforth I think a major problem of any emulation
solution is you're still tied to PC dinosaur architecture. No prizes for
guessing why this emulator was developed, PC hardware is everywhere and it's
cheap so lots of people have the hardware to run a decent  emulator sitting
on their desks right now, it makes sense. Having said that though the PC
architecture still sh*ts me, like DMA conflicts and IRQ's and a *BIOS
etc etc etc...I mean, I ditched windows for basically everything a while ago
and now use Linux pretty much 24/7 but even that gets painfull at times due
to the hardware it's running on.
The OS made the Amiga great but it's important to remember that the hardware
helped things along too...everything basically worked right out of the box,
autoconfig was wonderful, and the hardware was nicely "tight"...not a
monstrosity like my pretty recently bought PC that decided it wouldn't allow
floppy reads/writes and sound at the same time under Linux for no apparent
reaon (yes, DMA conflict, fixed it but it's things like that that sh*t me).
I was following the PPC AMigaOne thing for a while..new motherboard, new
architecture and while I'm a bit hazy on it all still I was hoping you could
buy a box that didn't have all sorts of kludges, hacks and troubles that are
par for the course with the PC. I hope you guys see what I'm getting at
here..the PC is still lumbering along driven by inertia mainly, will the
AmigaOne be more of the same or will it be more faithful to the old Amiga
tradition? I really don't want to have to f*ck around with it for days just
to get a new card working .........

A question about this emulator VS AmigaOne thing...

Post by Darren Evelan » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:05:36

Bill made it clear that the Amiga OS for X86 is a completely separate
product, for a different market.  There is still going to be an AmigaOne
with a PPC processor, not to mention the other PPC boards being developed
for the PCI expansion systems out there.  So don't worry.  You will still be
able to get new hardware via the PPC route.  And of course with an A1200
attached an AmigaOne provides full compatiblity with apps that require the
custom chipset. Something Amiga OS x86 won't offer - at least not right
away.

The Amiga OS for X86 is serving a different market.

Darren

> This new stripped down..super fast UAE thing seems good, I'm assuming it
> runs all WB friendly apps faster than 060 on a good spec PC box? Now,
while
> I"m all for this and soforth I think a major problem of any emulation
> solution is you're still tied to PC dinosaur architecture. No prizes for
> guessing why this emulator was developed, PC hardware is everywhere and
it's
> cheap so lots of people have the hardware to run a decent  emulator
sitting
> on their desks right now, it makes sense. Having said that though the PC
> architecture still sh*ts me, like DMA conflicts and IRQ's and a *BIOS
> etc etc etc...I mean, I ditched windows for basically everything a while
ago
> and now use Linux pretty much 24/7 but even that gets painfull at times
due
> to the hardware it's running on.
> The OS made the Amiga great but it's important to remember that the
hardware
> helped things along too...everything basically worked right out of the
box,
> autoconfig was wonderful, and the hardware was nicely "tight"...not a
> monstrosity like my pretty recently bought PC that decided it wouldn't
allow
> floppy reads/writes and sound at the same time under Linux for no apparent
> reaon (yes, DMA conflict, fixed it but it's things like that that sh*t
me).
> I was following the PPC AMigaOne thing for a while..new motherboard, new
> architecture and while I'm a bit hazy on it all still I was hoping you
could
> buy a box that didn't have all sorts of kludges, hacks and troubles that
are
> par for the course with the PC. I hope you guys see what I'm getting at
> here..the PC is still lumbering along driven by inertia mainly, will the
> AmigaOne be more of the same or will it be more faithful to the old Amiga
> tradition? I really don't want to have to f*ck around with it for days
just
> to get a new card working .........

1. AmigaOne vs Pegasos (POP vs Prebox / Abox?)

Thats not really true unless the gfx chipset is the only hardware
variable.

For example, a CS-PPC may be able to calculate 3D geometry at
well over 100 fps (Hyperion's figures for HereticII, I think it
was), but a gfx card on the CS-PPC expansion bus might be limited
to 80MB/s bandwidth or so.  A gfx card on the Z3 bus would be
limited to 25MB/s thorughput, and a Z2 gfx card will top out at
about 3MB/s.  Install all three gfx cards in the same machine and
the same 3D geometry sent to each will have different maximum
fps's.  IOWs, the max-fps is simply clipped at a different point
using each card, not proportionally slower.

The proper analogy is:

What would you rather drive?  A very powerful BMW that's
electronically limited (clipped) at 120mph, or a 1.5L Honda Civic
that is permitted to eventualy top out at 125mph?
--

-Steve

2. Mono-video jack

3. W2K Adv Server Print Spooler Service

4. inserts for Outlook Express

5. CISCO 801 Dial-in : yes or no ?

6. QUESTION: Retina vs Picasso vs Spectrum vs A2410

7. AmigaOne vs Pegasos (not a flame bait)

8. Classic Amigas vs AmigaOne.

9. AmigaOne A1200 or A4000.. That is the question

10. AmigaOne / AmigaOS 4.0 networking question