386bb questions

Post by Scott M. Ly » Fri, 09 Dec 1994 15:30:08

Ahhh, once again I've run into some stumbling blocks with getting my 386sx
bridgeboard system working. Tonite I bought a standard pc 1.4M 3.5" floppy
drive, and decided to do the following to my A2000:

- Remove the DF1: drive entirely
- Put the 1.4M in it's place
- Set up the 1.4M as the bb's drive A:
- Set up my df0: as the shared drive B:

So I set the J515 jumper to pins 1 & 2(for shared drive df0:)
and I set the J501 & J502 jumpers to pins 1 & 2 (for internal PC drive)

I then connected the connector that goes(normally) to df0: into the bb
double-ribbon connector, and connected the remaining connector on that end of
the double to my df0: . I connected the other two connectors(on the other end)
to the proper place on the bb. Then I took the OTHER ribbon cable, hooked it to
the PC-drive connector on the bb, and the other end to the 1.4M drive.

Then I powered up, only to find that my df0: was no longer functioning
properly(without a disk in the drive, it would flash the led three times, then
a "df0:?" icon would come up for it). I thought perhaps the problem was
PCPrefs.

Then I ran PCPrefs and set drive A: to internal, and drive B: to shared, and
drive df0: to be the one shared.

I then rebooted, and (still) df0: didn't come up, so I gave up on that (for the
time being) and reconfigured so that df0: would be amiga only, and the 1.4M
would be pc only, and left it at that. At this point, df0: worked fine again.

Then from the bb, I tried to access a disk in drive A: that I know is a valid
1.4M disk, and it would give me a whole variance of errors from "general error"
to "missing sector" error to "data" error, and I could not retrieve the data
from the 1.4M disk.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? (Oh, also, I originally
got my Amiga 2000 with both df0: and df1:, and I don't know how to disable df1:
again now that it's physically gone. Can anyone remember which jumper(s) to set
on a rev 4.2 motherboard?)

Thanks in advance!

--
-Scott Lyon

-------------------------------
"Engineers... They LOVE to change things..." - L. McCoy, M.D.

386bb questions

Post by Kenneth Moorm » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 00:11:31

Quote:>Ahhh, once again I've run into some stumbling blocks with getting my 386sx
>bridgeboard system working. Tonite I bought a standard pc 1.4M 3.5" floppy
>drive, and decided to do the following to my A2000:

>- Remove the DF1: drive entirely
>- Put the 1.4M in it's place
>- Set up the 1.4M as the bb's drive A:
>- Set up my df0: as the shared drive B:

Well, thanks for the info.   I never knew the shared drive could be
drive B: on the BB.    I've always used an Amiga external drive
plugged into the port on the BB.   I'll have to try this
configuration someday.

Quote:>So I set the J515 jumper to pins 1 & 2(for shared drive df0:)
>and I set the J501 & J502 jumpers to pins 1 & 2 (for internal PC drive)

This looks good.  Remember that pin 1 ison a different side
for the two jumpers (pin 1 is closest to rear for 515 and farthest
from rear for 501/502.

Quote:>I then connected the connector that goes(normally) to df0: into the bb
>double-ribbon connector, and connected the remaining connector on that end of
>the double to my df0: . I connected the other two connectors(on the other end)
>to the proper place on the bb. Then I took the OTHER ribbon cable, hooked it to
>the PC-drive connector on the bb, and the other end to the 1.4M drive.

The shared drive cable is a pain to plug into the CN502 connector.   There is
a little bit of electronics equipment right next to it which makes it
difficult to plug all the way in.   Check this, it could explain why
DF0 did not function.

Quote:>Then I ran PCPrefs and set drive A: to internal, and drive B: to shared, and
>drive df0: to be the one shared.

I also assume that you ran the CMOS setup on the BB (or it wouldn't boot).

Quote:>Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? (Oh, also, I originally
>got my Amiga 2000 with both df0: and df1:, and I don't know how to disable df1:
>again now that it's physically gone. Can anyone remember which jumper(s) to set
>on a rev 4.2 motherboard?)

J301 is the DF1 jumper.  If I remember correctly, you'll need to
remove the power supply to get to it.

Finally, I just pulled out the BB manual.  On 3-3, there's a line
which says that if you are using two internal drives, they both
must be either IBM or Amiga.   This seems a little cryptic; you can't
share two Amiga drives so this seems to limit two internal drives
to both being IBM.   Just a thought.

Hope some of this helps.

Kenny

--

1. 386bb questions

I'm the proud(?) new owner of a 386sx bridgeboard for my Amiga, and I've got a
few questions. (For those who helped me through my previous problem, everything
works fine now, and thanks for the help!).

Now, to the less-important questions. Firstly, can I use my modem(connected to
my Amiga serial port) as a modem from the PC side? If so, which COM port would
it use?

Secondly, I'd like to put a 1.44M drive in the system, but I don't want to lose
both my Amiga internal drives. Is there a way I can put in a 1.44M drive and
share it between the Amiga and PC, and yet allowing me to still have a drive
DF0: (if the 1.44 is DF1: shared) on the Amiga side? Even if the Amiga side
only uses it as an 880k floppy, that'd be fine(but 1.56k Amiga would certainly
be nice).

Thirdly, I'd like to get both a Flicker fixer for my Amiga side, and a VGA(or
better) card for the PC side, but I'd like to only buy one more monitor(with a
switchbox for the two inputs). I assume the switchbox would be easy enough to
find, but what about a monitor that's compatible with both? Any suggestions on
which monitor, and a rough price guesstimate would be appreciated.

Fourthly, I'd also like to get a sound card of sorts for the PC side. But
considering, with the bb in place, that leaves me with one AT slot left and two
XT slots left. How much will this restrict me on which VGA card and sound card
I buy? (obviously one will have to go in an XT slot, so will I have big
problems when I try?)

Thanks in advance!

--
-Scott Lyon

"Who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
                                        -Obi Wan Kenobi

2. PB DLL's reentrant? Problem using ORCA

3. 386BB questions

4. Menuing packages

5. 386BB: Janus.library not found;HELP!

6. What happened to #include

7. My 386BB does not like my PC serial card. =(

8. reinstall printer

9. 386BB int.floppy cable connector

10. 386bb hd floppy A4000

11. 386bb clock rate

12. Can you install 1 x 4 page zips in the 386BB with 256 x 4 chips?

13. 386BB, VGA, and Switchboxes.