Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by Julian Warr » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 13:13:48

>: IBM  are  getting very aggressive.  I believe a version of Warp may be on a
>: coverdisk here soon.  Microsoft had better look out.

>Hehe, lets see Bill Gates and his little elves try and get close to something
>even close to multi-tasking, without *features* (Microsoft word for bugs).
>The sooner microsoft go under the better IMHO. I`d like to stick OS2 up
>Bills ar...

>CALM DOWN JON, WOE HORSIE!!!

When I started this thread I had only tries OS2 for Windoze - and I liked
that fairly well on my Vanilla 33MHz 486. It was still however nowhere bear
as fast and a fraction as elegant as my Amiga OS3.

Warp though, has me gobsmacked. It is twice as fast as OS2 for Windoze and
is  so  configurable it is amazing.  What's more at full retail 85 you get
the  devil  of  a  lot  of  software  including  a full internet kit.  This
compares  rather  unfavourably  with the rather greedy 100 or so for Amiga
OS3.

I love Amigas but if I _must_ migrate, this is definitely the direction in
which to go. Please excuse the heresy but there can't be anyone out there
who hasn't wondered along similar lines.

                                        Julian

--
 ||  ||||ZZ\   ------------------------  |

       ||ZZ/  UBIQUITOUS BROADCAST       | PGP key on reques

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by Dan Cann » Sun, 11 Dec 1994 23:19:42

Quote:> Warp though, has me gobsmacked. It is twice as fast as OS2 for Windoze and
> is  so  configurable it is amazing.  What's more at full retail 85 you get
> the  devil  of  a  lot  of  software  including  a full internet kit.  This
> compares  rather  unfavourably  with the rather greedy 100 or so for Amiga
> OS3.

You don't have to use a commercial TCP/IP packages. There are public domain
ones.

Dan.
--
AeP                                                Agitate. educate. Protest.

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by fheitk.. » Mon, 12 Dec 1994 20:29:49

> Warp though, has me gobsmacked. It is twice as fast as OS2 for Windoze and
> is  so  configurable it is amazing.  What's more at full retail 85 you get
> the  devil  of  a  lot  of  software  including  a full internet kit.  This
> compares  rather  unfavourably  with the rather greedy 100 or so for Amiga

        Supposedly it's not a full TCPIP/PPP/SLIP implementation.  Only
        enough to hook you to IBM's server.

Quote:> OS3.

> I love Amigas but if I _must_ migrate, this is definitely the direction in
> which to go. Please excuse the heresy but there can't be anyone out there
> who hasn't wondered along similar lines.

        Yeah, that OS3 upgrade is *way* too expensive.  OTOH, the Amiga
        vendors can't afford to lose money on it like IBM can afford to
        lose money on Warp.

-Fred Heitkamp

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by Paul Thurro » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:37:04

>> I love Amigas but if I _must_ migrate, this is definitely the
direction in
>> which to go. Please excuse the heresy but there can't be anyone out
there
>> who hasn't wondered along similar lines.

Sure, and now all the poor saps who wasted money on the dying Amiga
technology can go out and waste it on the dying OS/2 technology.  I'm an
Amiga owner/advocate from way back, but you'll excuse me if I'm a little
jaded after six months of the Amiga's future* up in the air.
I've noticed that a lot of ex-Amigans are using OS/2 - I myself have
it.  I have just one question...

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN?

Windows 95 is going to come out and blow OS/2 out of the water.  You can
argue techincal details until you're blue but no one cares.  The Amiga
is dead, and in 12 months OS/2 will be a footnote as well.

How depressing.

- Paul Thurrott

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by The IceMan » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 00:06:41

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN?

Quote:>Windows 95 is going to come out and blow OS/2 out of the water.
>You can argue techincal details until you're blue but no one
>cares.  The Amiga is dead, and in 12 months OS/2 will be a
>footnote as well.

>How depressing.
>- Paul Thurrott

Ok, lets say Windoze95 will take care of every PC users needs out
there.  Win95 will give you Plug and Play, 8 years after the
Macintosh.  So all of those people with old cards, and old BIOS
will toss out their old cards and BIOS, upgrade to the new BIOS,
buy brand new Plug and Play cards and jump up and down yelling I
can do plug N play right!  THink again! It will give you a 32bit
OS, 6years after the Mac.  Lets see how many of those apps
written for 3.1 will work properly here.  So the only things it
will give  you are pre-emptive MT and Protected Memory!.  Does
the average Joe on the street care about pre-emptive MT and
protected Memory, much less know what the hell it means?  NO.  if
they did, they would have used OS/2 or Unix years ago.  Only
people who care about these are programmers or MIS personnel.

The Hell with both of them buy a MAC!

--
The Iceman

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by Maxwell Daym » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 05:41:07

: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN?

If learning involves turning off one's mind and going with whatever the
masses go with, I'll never learn. Damn. What a shame.

: Windows 95 is going to come out and blow OS/2 out of the water.  You can
: argue techincal details until you're blue but no one cares.  The Amiga
: is dead, and in 12 months OS/2 will be a footnote as well.

I'll be part of that footnote. I'll be part of every footnote that was
worth anything in the history of technology.

: How depressing.

Perhaps, but I don't particularly care what people buy, think, or do -
I'll do what I want -- what I feel is best for me.

Furthermore, if people ADOPT that attitude of going with whatever they're
told - alternative systems WILL die. Once they have been buried,
Microsoft can do absolutely ANYTHING they want and a comeback would be
difficult at best.

------------------ !  A machine is as distinctly and brilliantly
  Maxwell Daymon   !  and expressively human as a violin sonata

------------------ !                               - G. Vlastos

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by Andy Longt » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 06:50:40

: Windows 95 is going to come out and blow OS/2 out of the water.  You can
: argue techincal details until you're blue but no one cares.  The Amiga
: is dead, and in 12 months OS/2 will be a footnote as well.

I have the Beta of Win95, and while I agree with you that Win95 will sell
many more copies -- likely 10x+ Warp's sales,  I don't think Warp is
totally doomed.  Win95 isn't that good.

Even with the Amiga's troubled owner, the Amiga is not going to
all-the-sudden vanish.  The Macintosh, ditto (though Apple is in a much
better position with it than either Warp or the Amiga).

The situation reminds me of a "Life is Hell" comic strip (same artist
does the Simpsons).  In the strip, Bongo (a one-eared Rabbit) is told
from crib to grave 'Give up, you'll never make it', 'End it right now,
you're just kidding yourself', and, eventually, 'See, I told you so'.

Does listening to the voice, regaurdless of how right it is, make any
sense either?

: How depressing.

Yep.

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by quant » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 06:56:00

> > Warp though, has me gobsmacked. It is twice as fast as OS2 for Windoze and
> > is  so  configurable it is amazing.  What's more at full retail 85 you get
> > the  devil  of  a  lot  of  software  including  a full internet kit.  This
> > compares  rather  unfavourably  with the rather greedy 100 or so for Amiga
>    Supposedly it's not a full TCPIP/PPP/SLIP implementation.  Only
>    enough to hook you to IBM's server.

Incorrect.  It's a full TCPIP/SLIP implementation (no LAN support, though).
You can connect to *any* SLIP provider -- not just IBM.  I run it at home
(alongside with my Amiga3K).

Quote:> > OS3.

> > I love Amigas but if I _must_ migrate, this is definitely the direction in
> > which to go. Please excuse the heresy but there can't be anyone out there
> > who hasn't wondered along similar lines.
>    Yeah, that OS3 upgrade is *way* too expensive.  OTOH, the Amiga
>    vendors can't afford to lose money on it like IBM can afford to
>    lose money on Warp.
> -Fred Heitkamp

Amiga owners feeling forced to jump to a PC platform (for whatever reason),
should consider OS/2 over Windows (3.1/95/NT).  It's the most "Amigish" of
the PC OSes.  Shoot, it even has Rexx! ;-)

Brett Wooldridge | "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important

                 \____                                  -- Bill Gates
IBM Taligent Team     \

Warp versus Amigados !!!

Post by 25383-ana » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 07:10:18

|> direction in
|> there
|>
|> Sure, and now all the poor saps who wasted money on the dying Amiga
|> technology can go out and waste it on the dying OS/2 technology.  I'm an
[chomp]
|> it.  I have just one question...
|>
|> WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN?
|>
|> Windows 95 is going to come out and blow OS/2 out of the water.  You can
|> argue techincal details until you're blue but no one cares.  The Amiga
|> is dead, and in 12 months OS/2 will be a footnote as well.

Hello Paul:

I was skipping around this group until I saw your post and I simply do not
agree.  Windows 95 is not going to blow OS/2 out of the water.  Yes,
it might have more market penetration *if* it lives up to expectation (i. e.
hype). But, unlike the Amiga, OS/2 has the following:

1.  A giant company that knows a wee bit more what it is doing.
2.  Money spent in marketing.
3.  It's used in the corporate world for custom made apps.

I do not think that Window '95 is going to take over after the experience
of from Windows NT and the advent of RISCS processors down to the consumer
level.  BTW, the pentium bug has not helped a lot and a lot of people
might just look for other alternatives or stick with what they already have.

It'll be a doggy do world out there in years to come and with the "rebirth"
of the consoles I'm starting to believe that everything is possible.

The future is simply not written in stone.

--

Bellcore, NJ                    Ham: N2ZXE+

1. Superkickstart and Asim CDFS versus AmigaDOS CDFS

Well, my A3000 decided to let me use external devices and multi disk
drives, so that problem is solved.

I use AmigaDOS 3.1.  When installing, I noticed it had a CD File System
driver.

I also purchased Version 3.? of the Asim CD Drivers a couple months
ago.  Which should I use?

Also, I want to update my Superkickstart disk, which is currently for
v2.1 ROMs since the disk doesn't work on my A3000/3.1.  I installed the
"3.1 Install disk" and selected HD Setup; it gave me four options
(option 1 was to partition the HD, option 4 was to update
Superkickstart.) I chose option 4, which would update Superkickstart on
my HD.   It then asked for my Superkickstart disk.

Where can I find the 3.1-based Superkickstart for my A3000?

Thanks!

2. WinSock.Help me pls

3. nomai mcd versus syjet versus jaz ?

4. Painfully long logon for any client OS

5. Info on Warp System (not Warp Engine or OS/2 Warp)?

6. Typed dataset annotations - Parameter count mismatch

7. Warp vs. Warp

8. Email Status info

9. Wanted to Swap: My Warp Engine 4040 for your Warp Engine 3040

10. Get Warped !! Warp Engine 4 Sale.

11. Warping Up the Warp Engine

12. WTT: Warp 4040 for Warp 3040