I converted my A4000 desktop into a PC tower case

I converted my A4000 desktop into a PC tower case

Post by Mmaax » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I did it!  I managed to convert my desktop A4000 into a nice large PC tower
case.  I figured this was a much cheaper solution to getting more room and more
power for my system as I had 4 hard drives hooked up externally!
Converting the power supply and modifying the PC case were the most difficult
parts of this project.
  The Amiga hardware guide that was updated on 12/97 gave me the info I needed
for the A4000 power supply but even circuit testing the PC supply can leave
room for error.  My uncle had the best suggestion, he suggested opening up the
both power supplies and reading the circuit boards.  Printed right on the PC
power supply circuit board was all the info I neeed +12v, -12v, +5v, grounds
and an extra -5v that wasn't needed.  Due to the difference in the size of the
cables, I sliced and soldered the cables together to the plug from the A4000
power supply that I cut off. I would have liked to double check the info from
the hardware guide but when I opened my A4000 power supply, aside from all the
gunk and dust that had collected over everything, it was impossible to see the
printing on circuit board with disassembling the entire supply which looked
like a pretty massive project so I prayed the info was correct.
Crossed my fingers and it worked the first try. Nice to have the 230 watts.
     First thing I did was drill holes in the bottom of the tower case after
marking off their location using the A4000 motherboard as the template.  I made
sure I left enough room on the side of the motherboard where the
mouse/joysticks plug in so I could plug those in internally, otherwise they
would have been coming out the bottom of the tower case!  After screwing in the
motherboard at the same locations it was in the A4000 case, I used the plastic
supports that come with any new case  to support the board at as many locations
the design would allow.  This will help support the board and prevent it from
cracking when putting pressure on it from removing or inserting any new boards
or hardware.
     Next I had to use a dremel tool to cut the back of the PC tower case to
make it fit properly.  I first removed the back of the tower case (which was
half screwed on, half rivited) and put it right onto the back of the A4000 and
used it as a template and marked all the areas to be cut.  It would have been
easier if the back of the tower case had been nothing but solid metal because
when I did the cutting, any removable plates would just fall out.  This left
spaces here and there in the back which isn't so bad and I doubt my system will
ever overheat (the case had a place for me to install a nice big exhast fan
too).  The biggest problem I realized is that the Zorro slots would be in a
direction the back of the case wasn't designed for.  The solution, the slots
that hold the Zorro cards on the back of the A4000 is actually a removable
section.  I carefully put some cards in the Zorro slots and lined up the
removable casing on the back of the PC tower.  If you have done your template
properly, you should be able to attach it directly to the back with only some
small modifications.  I didn't so I had to use some hot glue to support the
underside of the plate to keep pressure off the board (hey, no one's perfect).
Another problem you will have is that the metal cross section that supports the
Zorro slots in the A4000 should still be used so you don't end up cracking it
from use.  I found that I could conveniently*the end into the removable
back plate as the exhast holes are the exact size of the*hole.  This
connection was so tight that it supports the entire area with no pressure on
the parts.
    After that it was just a matter of putting all the hardware in the new case
and powering it up.  If your going to do this, make sure you get a good sized
tower as you'll need and want the extra room to work with.  Also, different
cases will mean a different approach, I just popsted this to assist you in your
quest.
Sorry about the length of this post but I've had a few other people inquire
about this project and I had a problem finding info about it myself.

Emile "Max" Legault
A4000 w/*storm 060 50 mhz w/*scsi II now fully installed into a PC
tower!
RetinaZIII, Emplant Deluxe, 88 megs ram, 2x CDRom drive, Apple Laserwriter Plus
and don't forget my A2000 with a 40mhz 030 w/MMU and a RetinaZII

Post by Warren Blo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I would have liked to double check the info from
> the hardware guide but when I opened my A4000 power supply, aside from all the
> gunk and dust that had collected over everything, it was impossible to see the
> printing on circuit board with disassembling the entire supply which looked
> like a pretty massive project so I prayed the info was correct.
> Crossed my fingers and it worked the first try.

Phew!  Good thing I double-checked those pin-outs, huh?  8-)

http://extra.newsguy.com/~wblock

I converted my A4000 desktop into a PC tower case

Post by Mmaax » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Phew!  Good thing I double-checked those pin-outs, huh?  8-)

A mighty big thankyou for all the info your guide has given. It had assisted me
in many projects.

Emile "Max" Legault
A4000 w/*storm 060 50 mhz w/*scsi II
Now fully installed into a PC tower!
RetinaZIII, Emplant Deluxe, 88 megs ram, 2x CDRom drive, Apple Laserwriter Plus
and don't forget my A2000 with a 40mhz 030 w/MMU and a RetinaZII

1. A4000 Desktop to Tower case?

Has anyone successfully transformed their A4000 desktop into a tower?  I
recently ran out of drive bays and am having problems with my power
supply, so I'm considering trying this...  I realize it would be no easy
task, particularily because of the backplane for the expansion cards...

Anyone with any success/demise stories and/or tips?

Amiga 4000/040 25 MHz           |                Ariadne Ethernet
18 Megs RAM                     |                  CyberVision 64
120 Meg HD                      |    AmigaDOS/MacOS/MS-DOS/NetBSD
105 Meg SyQuest Removable       |
Emplant MacPRO (w/e586dx)       |                     SPAM RULES!

2. Backup conventions

3. A4000/040 Desktop -> Tower Case Advice Needed

4. SCSI Floptical questions

5. Eagle A4001T Tower Case System for Desktop A4000

6. cannot resolve profile

7. A4000 Slot Expansion, PC Tower Case etc.

8. Redirecting errors in C to file...

9. A4000 Desktop to A4000 Tower

10. WTB: Empty A4000 desktop case

11. FS: A4000 Desktop Case