At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Ade The Shad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I went to the new ESCOM shop in Warrington today, hoping to see the new
Amigas in all their glory. Ah well...

The shop was nicely laid out, with 8 or 9 "multimedia" PCs showing very
impressive demos, and being flash and attractive, and the Amiga "display"
was four Amiga bundle-boxes stacked up. Not even open, let alone showing
off the system.

I asked if they had any Amiga hardware and software, as was told
"Not yet, but we do have the new Amiga 120."

"1200", I corrected the shiny young assistant. "Do you have any 4000's in yet?"

"What are they?" came the scarcely believable reply.
"We will be getting some Amiga 500s in soon, as they are back in production."

So I left the Kwik-fit of computer shops.

Maybe ESCOM should inform their employees about the stuff they are supposed
to be selling.

Admittedly, the shop had only been open a few days, but they could at least
have opened the boxes and got an A1200 out. Maybe the boxes are really
complicated or something?

--
 __ __/__ . __ __   | Pope Adrian IV of the Church of The Holy Lungfish,
(_/(_//  / (_// /   | Larry the Thrice-blessed. BAAWA ha ha.

U2 slept on my floor last night. In the morning, I fell over the edge...

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Fenr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|> I went to the new ESCOM shop in Warrington today, hoping to see the new
|> Amigas in all their glory. Ah well...
|>
|> The shop was nicely laid out, with 8 or 9 "multimedia" PCs showing very
|> impressive demos, and being flash and attractive, and the Amiga "display"
|> was four Amiga bundle-boxes stacked up. Not even open, let alone showing
|> off the system.
|>
|> I asked if they had any Amiga hardware and software, as was told
|> "Not yet, but we do have the new Amiga 120."
|>
|> "1200", I corrected the shiny young assistant. "Do you have any 4000's in yet?"
|>
|> "What are they?" came the scarcely believable reply.
|> "We will be getting some Amiga 500s in soon, as they are back in production."
|>
|> So I left the Kwik-fit of computer shops.
|>
|> Maybe ESCOM should inform their employees about the stuff they are supposed
|> to be selling.
|>
|> Admittedly, the shop had only been open a few days, but they could at least
|> have opened the boxes and got an A1200 out. Maybe the boxes are really
|> complicated or something?

In Bristol I never had that problem, although I haven't been in this week (and
the Escom shop may have got some Amiga's in now). When I last went into an
Escom shop they seemed to know what an Amiga was, and they said that they were
going to be sold through a chain of, basically, Amiga shops, not their own
Escom shops.

I also went into Silica, which is on the 3rd floor of Debenhams, for those that
know Bristol, Uk. They knew quite a bit about the Amiga. (Including the fact
that the A5000 would be an A4000, and that the 060 version is due in Feb.)
They said that they would be getting a demo A4000 (and probably more) this
week. It will be over a week before I go in again, so hopefully they have the
A4000T up and running by then.

--
---------- For a lie to work, it must be shrouded in the truth ----------
               The Master - Doctor Who - The Ultimate Foe

- http://zen.btc.uwe.ac.uk/~n2-ellis/OtherLinks.html - Other Links Page -

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Richard Perro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>I went to the new ESCOM shop in Warrington today, hoping to see the new
>Amigas in all their glory. Ah well...

>The shop was nicely laid out, with 8 or 9 "multimedia" PCs showing very
>impressive demos, and being flash and attractive, and the Amiga "display"
>was four Amiga bundle-boxes stacked up. Not even open, let alone showing
>off the system.

>I asked if they had any Amiga hardware and software, as was told
>"Not yet, but we do have the new Amiga 120."

>"1200", I corrected the shiny young assistant. "Do you have any 4000's in
yet?"

>"What are they?" came the scarcely believable reply.
>"We will be getting some Amiga 500s in soon, as they are back in production."

>So I left the Kwik-fit of computer shops.

>Maybe ESCOM should inform their employees about the stuff they are supposed
>to be selling.

>Admittedly, the shop had only been open a few days, but they could at least
>have opened the boxes and got an A1200 out. Maybe the boxes are really
>complicated or something?

The Escom shop in Bletchley ( Milton Keynes ) is just PC, but the Escom
section in Office World in Milton Keynes proper has a single A1200 in a glass
case!

I didn't see any in front of a monitor running software.

Do Escom really want to sell A1200s or are they just an expensive trophy?

If they do intend to sell them then I suggest they have an expanded, 2MB not
enough, A1200HD running a Professional looking Scala demo for the Amiga GUI
and application software screenshots.  Also have details on where to get
expansions from in the shop.

Another idea is to use a mouse / keyboard recorder (on Aminet in /util/cdity)
or ScripIt to show off the Amiga GUI with NewIcons (since the normal Icons are
a bit 'sad').

Mail-order is no use for impulse buying since the general public can't see or
try out the machine so a lot of sales could be lost.  Tandy is a start, but
the owner should really support _all_ its own products if only for
credibility.

IMHO

Richard Perrott         | Amiga Forever!

my kill file.           | question.

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Nervous Wrec » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : And to think, I thought Escom would be on the look-out for Amiga literate folks
> : to help sell them through. How silly I was...

> Nope. When I was interviewed for my job six months ago, they didn't even mention "Amiga", and
> they certainly weren't looking for Amiga people... the fact that I was one had no bearing on
> it at all as Escom UK had no intention of selling Amigas at the time (although it could be
> argued that they STILL have no intention of selling them even though they are in their stores!)

> Andy E.

They were probably only looking for Rumbelow's quality staff.  i.e. we don't
know pentium about the stuff we sell, we just sell it.  By the way, I know
you cam in for a computer but would you like to have a look at this lovely
new washing machine which comes at 0% finance....

                                                      (0 0)
---------------------------------------------------oo0-(_)-0oo-----------------

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Andrew George El » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: And to think, I thought Escom would be on the look-out for Amiga literate folks
: to help sell them through. How silly I was...

Nope. When I was interviewed for my job six months ago, they didn't even mention "Amiga", and
they certainly weren't looking for Amiga people... the fact that I was one had no bearing on
it at all as Escom UK had no intention of selling Amigas at the time (although it could be
argued that they STILL have no intention of selling them even though they are in their stores!)

Andy E.

    //
   // What they conquer through ignorance, we conquer through knowledge
 \X/

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Wells Fargo Ba » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: >
[...]

                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: ----------------------------------------------------------
: Richard Perrott               | Amiga Forever!

: my kill file.         | question.

Any further information about Tandy (Radio Shack, Incredible Universe, etc),
as a distributor (in the US or elsewhere)?  I have heard this more than once
and am curious what people actually know regarding this possibility?

      Rob Bamford

: On Fri, 24 Nov 95, Andrew George Elia wrote the following:

: > Nope. When I was interviewed for my job six months ago, they didn't even mention "Amiga", and
: > they certainly weren't looking for Amiga people... the fact that I was one had no bearing on
: > it at all as Escom UK had no intention of selling Amigas at the time (although it could be
: > argued that they STILL have no intention of selling them even though they are in their stores!)

: Grin. And Escom people still have very little clues. I was aat a show today
: and one Escom guy kept insisting they'd bring out an Amiga with both an Amiga
: and a Pentium processor. No amount of my suggestion he was confusing that with

At least ONE other person from Escom seems to keep their eyes open to Amiga developments
(even if they are wearing Virtual IO glasses!).

: the PowerAmiga or the fact Escom used the Commodore logo for their Pentium
: range helped here. 'We get told more than you do' was his statement. Well, the

Complete *(well it is in the UK). We don't know anything, because Head Office doesn't
know either. The only way I found out about what was going on was to either contact AT
myself, or read Amiga Format/Amiga Shopper. We may well get told more than people outside the
company, but none of it is worth hearing, as it has little to do with the Amiga, other than
the fact that they insist on not supporting them. A Pentium in an Amiga ? A 998CC engine in a
Ferrari ?

: boss of Commodore BV (Yes, Commodore does still exist, at least here in the
: Netherlands and handles the Amiga here) broke out laughing when I told this

I'm glad that the MD is in the same country as the company he is running. Bernard Van Tienen,
of Escom's executive board, in charge of international purchasing, and also MD of Escom UK
actually lives in Holland! No wonder he can't see the mess that Escom UK's Head Office is
making of everything!

: to him. And vehemently denied such a machine. And lo and behold, there where
: Amiga monitors for sale and even A1200's. A4000/040 and a4000/060 where also

Amiga monitors for sale. At an Escom shop ? Clearly they know something we don't. Or perhaps
the consumer in the Netherlands is a lot smarter than the UK counterpart (who'll buy anything
if there's a large marketing scam behind it!).

: announced at about 6000 and 7000 guilders. (US$ 3600 and 4300. Ouch!)

: The sold Amiga caps, shirts and jackets as well.

All they give us are s*dding Intel ones. Perhaps if we try real hard we might get one with an
"Intel Outside" logo on the back, and "Back for the future" on the front.

: --__

: /aul |\olenbrander    WWW   : http://www.veryComputer.com/
: -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Andy E.

    //
   // What they conquer through ignorance, we conquer through knowledge
 \X/

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Paul Kolenbrand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Mon, 27 Nov 95, Andrew George Elia wrote the following:

Quote:> Amiga monitors for sale. At an Escom shop ? Clearly they know something we don't. Or perhaps
> the consumer in the Netherlands is a lot smarter than the UK counterpart (who'll buy anything
> if there's a large marketing scam behind it!).

Whoa! I didn't say at a shop. I said at a computer show. But they had Amiga
stuff at the Escom booth (Arather large booth I might say) there. As far as
I can see the local Escom shop has no Amiga stuff. :-( Pity!

Cya,
--__

/aul |\olenbrander    WWW   : http://www.iaehv.nl/users/paul/

: : ----------------------------------------------------------
: : Richard Perrott             | Amiga Forever!

: : my kill file.               | question.

: Any further information about Tandy (Radio Shack, Incredible Universe, etc),
: as a distributor (in the US or elsewhere)?  I have heard this more than once
: and am curious what people actually know regarding this possibility?

:       Rob Bamford

I saw A1200 packs for sale in Tandy at the Arndale Centre, Manchester
yesterday.  No computers were on display in the  window, but I didn`t go
in to the shop as they were priced above what mine cost me over 2 years
ago.  Still,  I`m sure prices will come down eventually.

--Jamie

At the ESCOM shop...

Post by Mike Slocomb » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: On Mon, 27 Nov 95, Andrew George Elia wrote the following:

: > Amiga monitors for sale. At an Escom shop ? Clearly they know something we don't. Or perhaps
: > the consumer in the Netherlands is a lot smarter than the UK counterpart (who'll buy anything
: > if there's a large marketing scam behind it!).

: Whoa! I didn't say at a shop. I said at a computer show. But they had Amiga
: stuff at the Escom booth (Arather large booth I might say) there. As far as
: I can see the local Escom shop has no Amiga stuff. :-( Pity!

At the Escom store in downtown Brixton, London, the shop is stuffed full of
shiny Pentiums and 486/66's, some of which have the words "Windows 95"
permamently stuttering across their screens.

The two display windows feature a pile of Pentiums, booted up and running
demos on the one side, and on the other, a big sign proclaiming, "Amiga!
Multimedia Magic!".
Underneath is a breathtaking display of..er..three *cardboard boxes*!
Whooa! That'll shift 'em !!!

Asking the near neaderthal staff for a demo of the Amiga is met with a gruff
"not possible", asking for a PC demo gives you two options - watching some
dire rendering speed demo, or watching the surly assistant play Solitaire
(he's on it *all* day!).

I don't think they'll be selling many Amiga's in Brixton...

Mike

1. ESCOM shops in the UK

(whoops, forgot to post this yesterday....)

Did anyone here in the UK see yesterday's "Big Breakfast" news
bulletin which mentioned that the Germany company ESCOM was
taking over the `comsumer-goods' (hi-fis, computers, TVs, etc)
shops formally known as Rumbelows....
I've already seen the former Rumbelows shop here in Southampton
now proudly bearing the ESCOM shop-front (signs, etc.) but
it's still being re-furbished (as far as I know).

This is excellent news for us UK Amiga-supporters as it provides
an ideal way to push A1200s, CD32 plus any new Amiga (improved)
models to the "man on the street"....

Hopefully ESCOM will employ (and train) staff who actually have
an interest in the Amiga, not like some of the staff in UK shops
such as Dixons who simply displayed their Amigas with the
start-up screen (you know, the 1.2/1.3 `hand holding a disk', or
the 2.0 `disk inserted into a disk-drive` or maybe, if you were
lucky, a Workbench screen might be displayed!).

Anyway, this all bodes well for ESCOM Amiga (or whatever they'll
call themselves) here in the UK.

--

Department of Electronics and Computer Science,    | Double winners 1993-94
University of Southampton, U.K. (Tel: 01703 593123)| "Come on you Reds!"

2. Elective Opinion??

3. Escom shop better

4. Problemsn sync'ing mail using Palm Desktop 4

5. Amiga's in ESCOM shops: WHEN?!!!

6. Festplatte auf dem ST1040 Desktop

7. Escom shops and the Amiga

8. Non-slot Ethernet Connection - SE?

9. Why no Amiga's in Dutch Escom Shop

10. Why no Amiga's in Dutch Escom Shops?

11. Weirdness in ESCOM shop

12. Alien Breed 3D Escom UK shops are crap

13. Escom are gods(Spot the Escom ad)