Game related mailing lists vs c.s.a.games

Post by Joachim Frohol » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:53:46

> Now for something completely controversial  and hopefully
> thought-provoking  :)

> I think most of the regulars here have noticed there's very little
> discussions concerning the new games like Simon the Sorcerer II,
> Earth 2140, Exodus TLW and Payback.  In fact  there has been a
> dearth of new game discussion in this newsgroup for some time now  :(

> What I have understood most of these new games have a  moderated
> mailing lists in which the game authors and the buying public can
> change thoughts in a civilised manner.

> While this method is fine for the time period when the game is still
> developed do you think it is possible to bring some of the
> conversation over here when the game is actually in the shops?

> In the times of ever diminishing Amiga game market,  there's imho one
> fatal flaw in using the mailing lists - they offer help to people who
> have already bought the game. They imho  do not attract additional
> buyers to the game.

> I can understand why game developers prefer a more controlled forum
> like mailing lists, but I think c.s.a.games too is pretty civilised
> place for conversation nowadays   :)

Who dis man is who talk rubbish? I like to hit man with stick if man
thinks Benefactor sucks ;-)

Quote:> What do you think? Would new Amiga games sell more if they are
> properly discussed in c.s.a.games?  :)

Definitely. At the moment, the only way to find out about the quality of
a certain modern game is to seek out reviews. But who would seek out a
review of a game they hardly know exists? Is it fair to assume that
everyone who lurk/post here check Amiga news sites at a regular basis
and/or buy Amiga magazines such as AmigActive every month? I don't think
so.

Also, while a game might receive a lukewarm response from a certain news
site/magazine (the AmigActive review of Exodus didn't really make me want
to buy that game, for instance), there might be plenty of people who've
bought the game and are able to tell us that the game is really great -
except that they stay in their mailing lists and we're out here. So,
people, come out in the open! It's good for your health, you know! :-)

Joachim

Post by Eric Haine » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:05:11

Quote:> > What do you think? Would new Amiga games sell more if they are
> > properly discussed in c.s.a.games?  :)

> Definitely. At the moment, the only way to find out about the quality of
> a certain modern game is to seek out reviews. But who would seek out a
> review of a game they hardly know exists? Is it fair to assume that
> everyone who lurk/post here check Amiga news sites at a regular basis
> and/or buy Amiga magazines such as AmigActive every month? I don't think
> so.

Well, I've tried.  The problem is that there's usually little or no
response, though I did have a decent discussion of Exodus with,
ummm...another guy ;) (what was your name again?) a little while ago.
But it was just us two.  (The discussion of the demo did have more
people involved though.)

Quote:> Also, while a game might receive a lukewarm response from a certain news
> site/magazine (the AmigActive review of Exodus didn't really make me want
> to buy that game, for instance), there might be plenty of people who've
> bought the game and are able to tell us that the game is really great -

It is great!  Well, quite good anyway.  Actually I thought it was more
fun than Earth 2140, which isn't a bad game itself (somewhat buggy
though).

Quote:> except that they stay in their mailing lists and we're out here. So,
> people, come out in the open! It's good for your health, you know! :-)

> Joachim

<Kosh> I have always been here.... </Kosh>

--Eric

Game related mailing lists vs c.s.a.games

Post by Angus Manwarin » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:05:05

On 08-Apr-01 05:05:11, Eric Haines said

Quote:>> > What do you think? Would new Amiga games sell more if they are
>> > properly discussed in c.s.a.games?  :)
>> except that they stay in their mailing lists and we're out here. So,
>> people, come out in the open! It's good for your health, you know! :-)

>> Joachim
><Kosh> I have always been here.... </Kosh>

Aha! Now I understand. The legendary Vorlon appreciation for Psygnosis.

<Kosh> <tinkle-swoosh-swirl> Concentrate on the intro, not the game.
<rumble splish ripple> </Kosh>    :)

                  All the best,
                        Angus Manwaring.       (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

Game related mailing lists vs c.s.a.games

Post by Angus Manwarin » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:59:29

On 07-Apr-01 12:16:51, Seppo Typpo said

Quote:>Now for something completely controversial  and hopefully
>thought-provoking  :)
>I think most of the regulars here have noticed there's very little
>discussions concerning the new games like Simon the Sorcerer II,
>Earth 2140, Exodus TLW and Payback.  In fact  there has been a
>dearth of new game discussion in this newsgroup for some time now  :(
>What I have understood most of these new games have a  moderated
>mailing lists in which the game authors and the buying public can
>change thoughts in a civilised manner.
>While this method is fine for the time period when the game is still
>developed do you think it is possible to bring some of the
>conversation over here when the game is actually in the shops?

Yes, good point. In the case of Payback in particular I'm sure the
discussion would be highly positive, and would result in greater sales -
as well as an interesting thread for us regulars. I'm not familiar with
Simon the Sorceror II, but given its pedigree and the fact that Paul
Burkey was involved in its conversion, I'll bet its great too.

Can anyone comment on StSII?

Post by Joachim Frohol » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:11:21

> On 07-Apr-01 12:16:51, Seppo Typpo said
> >Now for something completely controversial  and hopefully
> >thought-provoking  :)

> >I think most of the regulars here have noticed there's very little
> >discussions concerning the new games like Simon the Sorcerer II,
> >Earth 2140, Exodus TLW and Payback.  In fact  there has been a
> >dearth of new game discussion in this newsgroup for some time now  :(

> >What I have understood most of these new games have a  moderated
> >mailing lists in which the game authors and the buying public can
> >change thoughts in a civilised manner.

> >While this method is fine for the time period when the game is still
> >developed do you think it is possible to bring some of the
> >conversation over here when the game is actually in the shops?

> Yes, good point. In the case of Payback in particular I'm sure the
> discussion would be highly positive, and would result in greater sales -
> as well as an interesting thread for us regulars. I'm not familiar with
> Simon the Sorceror II, but given its pedigree and the fact that Paul
> Burkey was involved in its conversion, I'll bet its great too.

> Can anyone comment on StSII?

The PC version, which is virtually identical to the Amiga version, is very,
very cool - though I have to admit that the puzzles are a bit hard (you know..
there are some puzzles that I didn't understand after completing them - in a
well-designed adventure, the player should go 'ah, why didn't I think of that
before!' after completing the puzzles, not 'uhuh?'). But the game is quite
long, and there are plenty of puzzles which can be solved with logic, too. The
graphics in the game are of a very high quality - similar to those in the
original adventure, but they use 256 colours. There are loads of little
details, like in the original, and everything animates smoothly and well. The
humour in the game is much like in the original, too - brilliant fun!

My guess is that if you liked the original game, you'll like the sequel. If you
haven't tried either, then.. er.. what are you waiting for? :-)

Joachim

Game related mailing lists vs c.s.a.games

Post by Eric Haine » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 04:17:33

Quote:> On 08-Apr-01 05:05:11, Eric Haines said

> >> except that they stay in their mailing lists and we're out here. So,
> >> people, come out in the open! It's good for your health, you know! :-)

> >> Joachim

> ><Kosh> I have always been here.... </Kosh>

> Aha! Now I understand. The legendary Vorlon appreciation for Psygnosis.

> <Kosh> <tinkle-swoosh-swirl> Concentrate on the intro, not the game.
> <rumble splish ripple> </Kosh>    :)

>                   All the best,
>                         Angus Manwaring.       (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

Hmmm, I should think Vorlons would be the type to look beyond the
surface and appreciate the true nature of things.  :)  Anyway, the
intros got old after several views; that's hardly what kept me coming
back.  One reason why Beast 2, though good, is my least favorite of
that trilogy...you couldn't skip the intro...arrgghhh....

--Eric