"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Ray Norris » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:46:46

Hi,

Anyone remember this non-released game?

I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it.
I read that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it
for - albeit rather late - release..

Anyone have any news?

Rgds,
Ray Norrish

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Peter Olafso » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:11:54

Ray,

Well, you can probably tell us more about it than any of the regulars knows!
(You did the music, yes?)

I know a little bit about it. It was a beat-em-up platformer (reminiscent of
the early Sega Genesis game, The Last Battle) in which you could create your
own hero.

A demo was released, but Psygnosis (though twice planning to release
it--once around '92 and again around '93-94, IIRC) never quite got around to
putting it out.

It's the subject of chatter now and then in this newsgroup, and I think
there's another fellow who worked on the title at Psygnosis who pokes his
head in occasionally. :)

And that's all I remember. :)

Peter

Quote:> Hi,

> Anyone remember this non-released game?

> I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it.
> I read that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it
> for - albeit rather late - release..

> Anyone have any news?

> Rgds,
> Ray Norrish

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Ray Norris » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:23:06

Well, I can tell a little about it, but I was hoping for some info also from
other people involved.
I know about the game - I did see some previews on vhs to help with the
music creation I recall at the time, but after that....

I was interested in what happenned around the 93-94 effort to release it -
as I wasn't involved.

Ray

> Ray,

> Well, you can probably tell us more about it than any of the regulars
knows!
> (You did the music, yes?)

> I know a little bit about it. It was a beat-em-up platformer (reminiscent
of
> the early Sega Genesis game, The Last Battle) in which you could create
your
> own hero.

> A demo was released, but Psygnosis (though twice planning to release
> it--once around '92 and again around '93-94, IIRC) never quite got around
> putting it out.

> It's the subject of chatter now and then in this newsgroup, and I think
> there's another fellow who worked on the title at Psygnosis who pokes his
> head in occasionally. :)

> And that's all I remember. :)

> Peter

> > Hi,

> > Anyone remember this non-released game?

> > I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it.
> > I read that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it
> > for - albeit rather late - release..

> > Anyone have any news?

> > Rgds,
> > Ray Norrish

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by John Burn » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:25:36

> Hi,

> Anyone remember this non-released game?

> I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it. I read
> that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it for -
> albeit rather late - release..

> Anyone have any news?

If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted some time
ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he had the
finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about this
further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it being ready as
from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is because it
frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if not a complete
rewrite.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by John Burn » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:06:50

> Well, I can tell a little about it, but I was hoping for some info also from
> other people involved.
> I know about the game - I did see some previews on vhs to help with the
> music creation I recall at the time, but after that....

> I was interested in what happenned around the 93-94 effort to release it -
> as I wasn't involved.

Check on google archives (sometime last year IIRC) for John Burns, Superhero,
and Mike Clarke and this'll give you the story of Anthony Ball's
(programmer/designer) game.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Peter Olafso » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:57:30

I don't know how close the game got to being finished. I do think that they
set the bar to a difficult height. (If the differences between the heroes
you could create were to have a practical impact on how the game unfolded,
the developers would effectively have had to create at least several
variants for each mission.)

Peter

> > Hi,

> > Anyone remember this non-released game?

> > I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it. I
read
> > that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it for -
> > albeit rather late - release..

> > Anyone have any news?

> If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted some
time
> ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he had
the
> finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about this
> further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it being
ready as
> from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is because it
> frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if not a
complete
> rewrite.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Angus Manwarin » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:11:37

On 21-Apr-03 03:25:36, John Burns said

Quote:>If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted some
>time ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he had
>the finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about
>this further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it being
>ready as from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is
>because it frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if
>not a complete rewrite.

But why would that cause _Psynosis_ to hesitate releasing the game?

Sorry, could not resist.   ;)

                  All the best,
                        Angus Manwaring.       (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Ray Norris » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:21:53

I don`t know. Its fuzzy, but I saw VHS of the game at the time and it was
pretty much done.
The project terminated due to criminal activity of the programmer - and his
equipment was confiscated.

There's still a game there somewhere, but I don't think it's likely to be
anything special by the day's standards. We (my audio partner and I) thought
it was pretty *to be honest. But we just wanted our money :)

> I don't know how close the game got to being finished. I do think that
they
> set the bar to a difficult height. (If the differences between the heroes
> you could create were to have a practical impact on how the game unfolded,
> the developers would effectively have had to create at least several
> variants for each mission.)

> Peter

> > > Hi,

> > > Anyone remember this non-released game?

> > > I was involved in it's creation and would like to know more about it.
> read
> > > that the source is around and that there are plans to compile it for -
> > > albeit rather late - release..

> > > Anyone have any news?

> > If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted
some
> time
> > ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he had
> the
> > finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about
this
> > further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it being
> ready as
> > from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is because
it
> > frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if not a
> complete
> > rewrite.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Peter Olafso » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:10:32

The demo was pretty ordinary: just another so-so beat-em-up.

The odd thing about it was that it came on a disk with a demo for Ocean's
isometric puzzle game, Universal Monsters, which also never saw release.

Peter

> I don`t know. Its fuzzy, but I saw VHS of the game at the time and it was
> pretty much done.
> The project terminated due to criminal activity of the programmer - and
his
> equipment was confiscated.

> There's still a game there somewhere, but I don't think it's likely to be
> anything special by the day's standards. We (my audio partner and I)
thought
> it was pretty *to be honest. But we just wanted our money :)

> > I don't know how close the game got to being finished. I do think that
> they
> > set the bar to a difficult height. (If the differences between the
heroes
> > you could create were to have a practical impact on how the game
unfolded,
> > the developers would effectively have had to create at least several
> > variants for each mission.)

> > Peter

> > read

> > > If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted
> some
> > time
> > > ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he
had
> > the
> > > finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about
> this
> > > further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it
being
> > ready as
> > > from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is
because
> it
> > > frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if not
> > complete
> > > rewrite.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by John Burn » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:55:53

> I don`t know. Its fuzzy, but I saw VHS of the game at the time and it was
> pretty much done.
> The project terminated due to criminal activity of the programmer - and his
> equipment was confiscated.

Careful now, suspected criminal activity for which he was later cleared.

Quote:> There's still a game there somewhere, but I don't think it's likely to be
> anything special by the day's standards. We (my audio partner and I) thought
> it was pretty *to be honest. But we just wanted our money :)

Well Mike Clarke also thought it was pretty much *back then so I can't see
its being in limbo for some 9+ years having helped

> > I don't know how close the game got to being finished. I do think that
> they
> > set the bar to a difficult height. (If the differences between the heroes
> > you could create were to have a practical impact on how the game unfolded,
> > the developers would effectively have had to create at least several
> > variants for each mission.)

> > Peter

> > read

> > > If we are talking about the game Superhero (Psygnosis) then I posted
> some
> > time
> > > ago that the guy who had programmed it had contacted me and said he had
> > the
> > > finalised version of the source code. However, when I asked him about
> this
> > > further he suddenly went silent. I think he was bluffing about it being
> > ready as
> > > from what I've heard elsewhere the reason it wasn't released is because
> it
> > > frankly wasn't up to much and had been requiring loads of work if not a
> > complete
> > > rewrite.

"hero" or "super hero"

Post by Ray Norris » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:39:10

> > I don`t know. Its fuzzy, but I saw VHS of the game at the time and it
was
> > pretty much done.
> > The project terminated due to criminal activity of the programmer - and
his
> > equipment was confiscated.

> Careful now, suspected criminal activity for which he was later cleared.

There's no suspected about it. I was even offerred in on it.

Quote:> > There's still a game there somewhere, but I don't think it's likely to
be
> > anything special by the day's standards. We (my audio partner and I)
thought
> > it was pretty *to be honest. But we just wanted our money :)

> Well Mike Clarke also thought it was pretty much *back then so I can't
see
> its being in limbo for some 9+ years having helped

Not really. But I read/heard that the source was knocking around.

> > > I don't know how close the game got to being finished. I do think that
> > they
> > > set the bar to a difficult height. (If the differences between the
heroes
> > > you could create were to have a practical impact on how the game
unfolded,
> > > the developers would effectively have had to create at least several
> > > variants for each mission.)

> > > Peter

> > > read

> > some
> > > time
> > > the
> > this
> > > ready as
> > it
> > > complete

1. AMIGA 4000 with WARP sale"""""""""""""""""""""""""

4000 50megs ram,Warp 040/40, 120HD,320HD,340HD,2meg chip.
All mint $4200

4000 24megs ram,Warp 040/40mhz, 120HD,500HD,2meg chip ram.
Mint shape
$3500

Both systems work great and the 50 meg system has lots of software
on it.
24meg system has some.

Will include a bernoulli disk full of objects for either system.
150 meg disk with tons of objects  etc.

2. Can I access Novell info, NDS tree using WMI

3. "Last Action Hero" movie; does it "suck" ?

4. IBM has stopped WEB E

5. Anyone heard about "Super Hero"?

6. Scanreg/fix

7. Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

8. . slim.com 5k dos editor

9. Mind.forth "mind21.lha" in "Files" #43 "Programming"

10. Help wanted with Crystal Dragon "Hell's Heroes" level

11. Mac "find" performs far better than Unix O(n^2) "find"

12. Mac OS just sucks -- "ease of use" = "lack of freedom" ?