NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Joel Kolst » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 04:17:52

    I recently got an NEC 3DS for my Amiga 3000, and while it is a fairly
good monitor for my purposes (one of the few 15-31Khz multsyncs also), I'm
considering getting an A1950 instead.  While the 3DS will go up to 1024x768
interlaced (vs. the 1950's 800x600) and the display can be adjusted to
half size or beyond the screen border vertically, it doesn't quite reach
the left/right edges.  This seemed no trouble on IBMs I've seen it on,
since there's just a very small amt. of black space at the sides.
    However, normal Amiga graphics modes (not overscanned) have their
borders inside the right/left sides of the scan, and that means it's maybe
3/4"+ between the edge of the screen and the window.  So, to get a proper-
looking view, I have to shrink it down vertically <sigh>.  I don't know,
guess I'm just wanting to have the entire screen usuable, like with the
1084s.  Which leaves a couple of prospects:  1) Some sort of hardware
modification (not sure there is one, though I'd prob. go for it in an
instant if there were), or 2) Getting an A1950.  I've heard vague things
about its quality (and it's not 1024x768 <shrug>), but it will certainly
handle 15/31kHz (true multisync or not), has composite/RGB inputs as well,
and it seems like a decent monitor.  Given the choice, what would you do??
Or should I just shut up and stop complaining <hmmm>... In any case though,
suggestions or comments would be welcome.  Thanks,

-Eric

Post by Mark Rick » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 08:14:47

>    I recently got an NEC 3DS for my Amiga 3000, and while it is a fairly
>good monitor for my purposes (one of the few 15-31Khz multsyncs also), I'm
>considering getting an A1950 instead.

If you are seriously considering opting for the A1950, I would encourage you
to look out for the NEC Multisync II (as opposed to the IIa). While NEC no
longer manufactures the unit, it is capable of syncing down to 15Khz, offers
more ergonomical controls, 800x600, .31 dp and an arguably crisper output. If
you can find a used model or one which remains available as leftover stock,
give it a try. A friend of mine recently purchased the NEC II for his A3000
and paid significantly less than the A1950.

Personally, I would stick with the 3DS, as it offers an upgrade path. If you
intend to purchase a Resolver, A2410 or Van Gogh card, you will be able to
use the monitor to its full advantage.

Mark

- Mark Rickan                         ...!uunet!utai!utgpu!maccs!rickan -

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Rostyk Lewyck » Tue, 28 Jan 1992 05:16:25

You write that you are considering bying an A1950 monitor.
I will just relate my exerience.
The monitor died in Sept. 1991 within a month of the end of
the warrantee period. The trouble seems to be the high voltage
transformer. So far it has been in the shop at two different
Amiga dealers. The first dealer said that C= would not sell
him parts and wanted $250 for a monitor exchange.
The second dealer at first said he could get the parts, but
now tells me that C= will not sell him the thransformer either
and he is trying to get the part from the manufacutrer. This
dealer said that he is willing to let me have the replacement
monitor "at his cost, after return allowance" i.e. $170.
So be aware that this kind of occurance is a distinct possibility
in dealing with C= and this product.
I do not know how $170 rates as a repair bill for a blown hv
transformer. I am disappointed by my experience with the C=
A1950. I am just glad that I still have my 6 year old Sony CDP1201
so that I can continue using my computer while trying to get
a resolution on the A1950.

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Hebert Marc » Sun, 02 Feb 1992 16:01:50

Monitors are about to drive me nuts.  Using an A2000 and A2320 video board.
Bought an AOC multiscan monitor, getting heavy flicker in interlace mode,
replaced the 2320 video board, still got flicker, then found out the problem
was that the monitor didn't scan 15 kHz- low frequencies.  So I just got in
a Princeton Graphics Ultra 1400, which scans the proper low frequencies, and
went through ALL the troubleshooting, and I'm still getting flicker in
interlaced.   HELP?

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Hebert Marc » Mon, 03 Feb 1992 05:24:20

Do any of you people run an Amiga 2000 + A2320 Enhancer Board + MultiScan
Monitor?
It has occurred to me that I actually may have a properly running setup, but
I may have to live with some flicker.

Anyone know what the raster scan rate put out by the 3000 is?

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Mike Farr » Mon, 03 Feb 1992 16:01:26

Quote:

>Monitors are about to drive me nuts.  Using an A2000 and A2320 video board.
>Bought an AOC multiscan monitor, getting heavy flicker in interlace mode,
>replaced the 2320 video board, still got flicker, then found out the problem
>was that the monitor didn't scan 15 kHz- low frequencies.  So I just got in
>a Princeton Graphics Ultra 1400, which scans the proper low frequencies, and
>went through ALL the troubleshooting, and I'm still getting flicker in
>interlaced.   HELP?

Some questions:

1.  Are you using "Productivity Interlaced" mode?  If so, this mode *will*
    flicker, even with the A2320.

2.  Are you certain that the disable switch on the back of the A2320 is
    set properly?  One position disables the de-interlacing function,
    and this will cause flicker.

3.  Do you have the monitor plugged into the A2320 or the Amiga's 23-pin
    video connector?  It should be plugged into the A2320.

You should *not* be getting flicker, especially heavy flicker, using the
A2320 with the standard 15KHz video modes.  The A2320, when it's enabled,
puts out a 31KHz signal from its 15-pin connector, and this (with the
exception of the Productivity Interlaced mode) is non-interlaced.
The AOC should have worked just fine.

Mike Farren - no longer employed by Commodore.  Still only my opinions,
and not those of any organization.

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Rob Gi » Tue, 04 Feb 1992 03:42:04

Quote:>Do any of you people run an Amiga 2000 + A2320 Enhancer Board + MultiScan
>Monitor?
>It has occurred to me that I actually may have a properly running setup, but
>I may have to live with some flicker.
>Anyone know what the raster scan rate put out by the 3000 is?

Yup...I'm running an A2000/A2320 with a NEC 3D.  I don't have any flicker
whatsoever...

Sorry, don't know the raster scan rate...

Rob

--
================================================================ __ ===========

|   18 Catherine Ct. Wolfville, N.S. CAN - (902) 542-3153   \\\/// do it      |
============================================================ \XX/ Better! =====

Post by Hebert Marc » Tue, 04 Feb 1992 08:13:05

>>Monitors are about to drive me nuts.  Using an A2000 and A2320 video board.
>>...  So I just got in
>>a Princeton Graphics Ultra 1400, which scans the proper low frequencies, and
>>went through ALL the troubleshooting, and I'm still getting flicker in
>>interlaced.   HELP?

>Some questions:

>1.  Are you using "Productivity Interlaced" mode?  If so, this mode *will*
>    flicker, even with the A2320.

Sorry, not familiar with this term: Productivity Interlaced?  What exactly
does this mean?

Quote:>2.  Are you certain that the disable switch on the back of the A2320 is
>    set properly?  One position disables the de-interlacing function,
>    and this will cause flicker.

Checked over and over.

Quote:>3.  Do you have the monitor plugged into the A2320 or the Amiga's 23-pin
>    video connector?  It should be plugged into the A2320.

It's going into the A2320.

Quote:>You should *not* be getting flicker, especially heavy flicker, using the
>A2320 with the standard 15KHz video modes.  The A2320, when it's enabled,
>puts out a 31KHz signal from its 15-pin connector, and this (with the
>exception of the Productivity Interlaced mode) is non-interlaced.
>The AOC should have worked just fine.

Other than the 'Productivity Interlaced mode' question, I've checked and
rechecked and replaced everything involved.

The previous owner of this 2000 hardwired a PAL/NTSC switch.  I'm not yet
real knowledgeable about doing something like that.  Could it be the source
of my troubles?

Post by Jean-Marc Tan » Wed, 05 Feb 1992 23:04:42

Quote:> Do any of you people run an Amiga 2000 + A2320 Enhancer Board + MultiScan
> Monitor?
> It has occurred to me that I actually may have a properly running setup, but
> I may have to live with some flicker.

> Anyone know what the raster scan rate put out by the 3000 is?

If you get flicker with a A2320, then it probably has a problem.
With mine, I could not get a real good image for long. It was not exactly flicker
like the interlaced mode gives you, just the "fuzz" you get when the card is
not well tuned. It was "clearly" a temperature problem. I first suspected the alim.
Then I checked the card with an electronic freezer, and found the chip that gave
a perfect image when cooled: it was the PLL generator (I don't remember the ref,
but I can check if someone needs it). I just changed it, and it works perfectly from now.

A monitor that could not keep up to the scanning rate would *not* give you
any real image.

Jean-Marc Tanzi  |  Millions of years to make oil and forests,

                 |  Will Mankind find a tougher planetary opponent?

NEC monitor display.. minor prob.

Post by Brian Heybo » Wed, 05 Feb 1992 02:22:03

Quote:> Monitors are about to drive me nuts.  Using an A2000 and A2320 video board.
> Bought an AOC multiscan monitor, getting heavy flicker in interlace mode,
> replaced the 2320 video board, still got flicker, then found out the problem
> was that the monitor didn't scan 15 kHz- low frequencies.  So I just got in
> a Princeton Graphics Ultra 1400, which scans the proper low frequencies, and
> went through ALL the troubleshooting, and I'm still getting flicker in
> interlaced.   HELP?

Sounds like J300 is in the wrong position.  See item 7 in section 5
(Troubleshooting) of the A2320 manual.

--

UUCP: ...!uunet!ndcc!tct!psycho!20!brianh
Note:psycho is a free gateway between Usenet & Fidonet. For info write to

1. FS A3000 /w NEC 3D monitor and a NEC 3D monitor

A3000 /w FPU and MMU, 540 SCSI hard drive, 2mb chip ram and 8mb fast ram,
880k floppy drive, NEC 3D monitor, Vista Pro 3.0 /w software and manuels,
2.1 O.S., and load with other software. Asking $1200 O.B.O
Also a NEC 3D monitor asking $150.
Buyer pays for Shipping and handling.
--

2. fractions on a Mac

3. FS A3000 /w NEC 3D monitor and a NEC 3D monitor.

4. Erasing templates

5. FS: NEC Multisync Monitor- Displays All Amiga Modes!

6. error

7. FS A3000 /w NEC 3D monitor and a NEC 3D monitor.

8. To exceute 100s of inserts and deletes SQL deletes!!

9. NEC monitor colour probs

10. Help 3000 Display Problem (Monitor Display ok, A520 not ;(

11. Nec 3d, Mitsubishi 1391a ,Nec 2a Monitor

12. A3000, separate NEC 3D monitor, NEC CP7 printer

13. A1200 green tint and display probs