Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by Kolbj?rn Barm » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

http://www.escom.de/ is back up running.

Gee.. imagine that :P

-- kolla

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by Bernhard Gra » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

KB> http://www.escom.de/ is back up running.
KB>
KB> Gee.. imagine that :P

So what?

One computer-selling-company bought another.

BTW. Old news is no news.

Ciao
--
Bernhard Graf

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by Kolbj?rn Barm » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>KB> http://www.escom.de/ is back up running.
>KB>
>KB> Gee.. imagine that :P

>So what?

>One computer-selling-company bought another.

Remarkable fast.
I'm kind of used to the idea that this takes ages and ages.

Quote:>BTW. Old news is no news.

Sorry, but it was new news for me.

--
 Kolbj?rn Barmen  /\\ "I met the Amiga and fell in love..."   // T e a m

Nettverksgruppa NVG    Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by alf » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Dutch ESCOM has bought the rights to use the name COMMODORE for it's
escom computers from it's dead mothercompany.
So COMMODORE will be dutch.
bye
ALF

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by Jeroen T. Vermeul » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Dutch ESCOM has bought the rights to use the name COMMODORE for it's
> escom computers from it's dead mothercompany.
> So COMMODORE will be dutch.

What do we care about Commodore anymore?

Here's a wry bit of humour for those who've been with the Amiga long enough to
remember that the "left Amiga" key once had a different logo on it:

Q: How can the Amiga be brought to its knees?
A: Commodore control Amiga.

Note that I've been using the hotkey combination "escape Commodore" for opening
shells since my A500 days, long before all this became relevant...  And thanks
to ESCOM we finally did EScape from COMmodore.  :-\

#  Jeroen T. Vermeulen   \\"How are we doing?"//   Yes, we use Amigas    #

So where is this global warming that politicians have been promising us?

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by Thomas Tavo » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Dutch ESCOM has bought the rights to use the name COMMODORE for it's
> > escom computers from it's dead mothercompany.
> > So COMMODORE will be dutch.

I haven't seen this post in it's entirety, but I presume it pertains to the
article in the 'Volkskrant' (large Dutch daily newspaper) of Tuesday December
the 2nd. Note that this is about Escom B.V. (=ltd.) the Dutch branch of the
German Escom AG. A complete translation (sorry if this passed before), my
notes in square brackets:

POSSIBLY ESCOM CONTINUES UNDER COMMODORE NAME

ANP/Nieuw Vennep

Computer retailer Escom considers to change its name into Commodore. The
company, which started through in July this year after the bankruptcy of
the mothercompany with the same name in Germany, is doing a market research
campaign on the usability of the name Commodore.

The German company Escom bought Commodore at the time [of C='s own bankruptcy].
The autonomous become ['verzelfstandigde'] Dutch Escom recently bought the
brand rights from the liquidatory assets of Escom AG. 'The pc's [yes,
spelled in lowercase :)] that we are going to build are going to be called
Commodore[s]', according to Escom marketing director J. van Lemmen. 'Slowly,
Escom is going to disappear as brand name for our computers'.

At the moment Escom is officially registered as Halder XX, after one of the
two major shareholders who took a part in the company become autonomous
[that blasted word again: 'verzelfstandigde'] in July. These were the
investment firm Halder and Alpinvest, a 49% daughter of ABN Amro [one of
the largest (if not the largest) banks in The Netherlands]. The management
also took shares in the company starting through [newspaper reporters
should take some language courses ;)].

Escom is negotiating with retailers about the return of the Commodore pc
into the shops. The company already sells self assembled pc's of this brand
in Scandinavia, United Kingdom and Portugal.

Escom counts 36 own stores and an assembly plant in Nieuw Vennep [NL] with
a production capacity of a half a million pc's a year. The company has
about 430 employees against 550 in the old constellation.

EOB [End of Blurb ;)]

Quote:> What do we care about Commodore anymore?

Nothing much, except that the classical 'suck it dry, liquidate and return
under another if not the same name' strategy inescapably creeps into my
mind again. And the fact that I will spray the 'Amiga' depression on my
4000 desktop with special paint and put a blacklight on it.

I definitely need a boing ball adhesive now to cover the chickenlips, band
aids for visitors who I am forced to smash the face in of after them calling
my Amiga a PC will probably prove less cost effective. <G>

Quote:> Here's a wry bit of humour for those who've been with the Amiga long enough to
> remember that the "left Amiga" key once had a different logo on it:

> Q: How can the Amiga be brought to its knees?
> A: Commodore control Amiga.

LOL, that's pretty good, haven't heard that one before :)

Quote:> Note that I've been using the hotkey combination "escape Commodore" for opening
> shells since my A500 days, long before all this became relevant...

Cor, so did I.. Ah, the days of PopCLI III and NewPop 4 :)

Quote:> And thanks to ESCOM we finally did EScape from COMmodore.  :-\

Yes, their rumoured browser must have Escape-d the attention too :^)

BTW, Escape from New York was pretty good, anyone seen Escape from L.A. yet?
I wonder if one of the next sequels will include Chicago, or maybe Seattle?
On further musing, M$ should buy the Amiga, that might bring them to their
knees 8-?

. WWW - http://www.cistron.nl/~ttavoly     _ // .

... -Job inquiries by jinx exorcists welcome- ...

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by George No » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>KB> http://www.escom.de/ is back up running.
>>KB>
>>KB> Gee.. imagine that :P

>>So what?

>>One computer-selling-company bought another.

>Remarkable fast.
>I'm kind of used to the idea that this takes ages and ages.

>>BTW. Old news is no news.

>Sorry, but it was new news for me.

Same here.  But what exactly did they buy? I assume everything Commodore
was left out?  I heard something abut a "Vobis".. is this the company that
took over Escom?

>--
> Kolbj?rn Barmen  /\\ "I met the Amiga and fell in love..."   // T e a m

>Nettverksgruppa NVG    Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU

-=*George*=-

Escom's rebirth: Escom 2001

Post by George No » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Dutch ESCOM has bought the rights to use the name COMMODORE for it's
>escom computers from it's dead mothercompany.
>So COMMODORE will be dutch.

So does that mean that if people buy computers from them, they will pay
for half of it? :)

Quote:>bye
>ALF

-=*George*=-

P.S. So the Commodore name lives on....

1. Escom are gods(Spot the Escom ad)

This morning through the post with my local newspaper(This is in the East
Midlands), what do I find? A glossy full page brouchure for Escom's PCs. Not
ONCE did I get anything from Commodore like this, Escom have had the Amiga for
ten minutes and I get this. The Amiga is in very safe hands I feel.

--

      __                                                          _____
     ///     NeXT/Amiga guy,NeXTMail loved,BucketHed on IRC      | N e |\

2. Shape help

3. Escom this and Escom that... blah blahblah

4. RealStones??

5. Dave Eady's 'ESCOM & The Softies'

6. SMTP Server for rmail

7. What are the new Escom A1200's/A4000's like?

8. Create a property sheet application

9. WHAT is 'ESCOM'?

10. Saku 2001 Pictures and Fleecy's Greetings Online

11. Aminet St. Louis, was Re: Saku 2001 Pictures and Fleecy's Greetings Online