Postscript printing problems

Post by lho.. » Wed, 27 Mar 1991 20:29:02

I tried using the Lila program last night to generate a postscript output
file from a simple text file.  It worked fine and generated a file that
looked like wonderful postscript.

I then copied the file to an MS-DOS disk using CrossDOS (no filtering or
anything) and brought it to a PC.  From there I copied the file directly to
a postscript printer.

The printer light blinked for a little while and then stopped, nothing
printed at all...

I have done this with Publisher Plus also (it has a postscript >> disk
option) and have had the same results - nothing ever seems to print.

Are all these programs generating postscript code which is incompatable
with Apple LaserWriter II's, PSJet's and NEC LC890's?  I have not yet tried
these files with the HP LaserJet III with an Adobe postscript cartridge,
but I can't see it working there either...

Do I need to use filtering to convert the LF's to CR/LF's before sending
the stuff to the PC?  Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka                               INCSTAR Corp           \
| Applications Project Leader                   1990 Industrial Blvd   |

\ 612/779-1701                                  Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

Postscript printing problems

Post by dave olipha » Mon, 01 Apr 1991 05:10:40

Just a thought.  I have recently been using a pd program called post, version
1.5, that will take a post script file and display it on the screen or send
it to a printer.

Since I didn't have any ps fonts, I have downloaded several from local bbs's
here in the Seattle area.  Apart from some fonts that were corrupt on download,
this program seems to work fine, at least in displaying to the screen.  Don't
have access to a dot matrix printer to test the printing mode.

You mentioned a program called "Lila" in your post which you said would take
an ascii file and output a post script text file.  Would you or somebody please
post a brief description of this program and where it may be obtained,
fred fish number, internet archieve site, uucp list server or whatever.

Thanks a lot.

--

"Just where is dave going, anyway?"                  (206) 325-5669
2d ACR - Always Ready! (I'm with you guys)           send the scouts out

Postscript printing problems

Post by Bryan Bayerdorffer » Mon, 01 Apr 1991 09:41:07

=-
=-You mentioned a program called "Lila" in your post which you said would take
=-an ascii file and output a post script text file.  Would you or somebody please
=-post a brief description of this program and where it may be obtained,
=-fred fish number, internet archieve site, uucp list server or whatever.
=-

        I've tried Lila, and found it inferior to lptops, of which I've placed a
copy at ab20.larc.nasa.gov:/incoming/amiga/lptops.lzh.

1. PasTeX Printing And Postscript

To Georg or anyone else who can help me.  I have set up Pas-Tex's dviprint to
work to great degree with my Okidata 292 printer.  However, I can't seem to
get it to properly skip large veritcal spaces on the page (e.g. from the
top of the page to the first line of text or from the bottom of the page to
the footer).  Vertical skipping that is less than a few dots seems to
work fine.  Ideas?

Also, Postscript has been an exercise in frustration.  As soon as I get the
graphic placed where EPSF.TEX has placed a vbox for it, it disappears!
Evidently in Show.dvi the page and the typeset blank space is placed after and
over the top of the Postscript graphic.  Any remedies?  Is there any good
way to tweak SpecialHost to place the Postscript origin at the point in the
page where it is called rather than having it fix the origin at the bottom
left corner?  As it is, each time I call a particular graphic, its coordinates
must be modified.

Thanks in advance.

2. Database of Researchers in AI & Molecular Biology

3. printing to a Postscript HP LJIIP

4. Opinion wanted on CD-ROM please...

5. Postscript File Print

6. please help. my boss wants me to explain this and I can't!

7. Postscript driver for Lexmark R+ Optra(IBM 4049)Postscript Printer

8. Startupscreen/main Monitor AND...

9. Print to a PC print driver?

10. PRINTING Prob: I've never printed yet...

11. Problems with a Postscript printer and OS 3.5

12. PSPRT PostScript -> dot matrix problems.

13. postscript problems w/ apple laserwriter select 310