Amiga vs. Mac vs. DOS/Windows

Post by Steve Zins » Sun, 06 Mar 1994 05:12:59

I am new to comp.sys.amiga... but I would like to make a comment. I have
been reading through this group and am very disappointed. I get the
general impression that a bunch of young children are* out here
attempting to bash every computer on the face of the planet (except, of
course, the God-Almighty Amiga).

Firstly, I was one of the _first_ people to jump on the Amiga bandwagon.
I purchased one of the first A1000's, upgrading later to an A2000, and
now have an Amiga 4000 '040 sitting next to me. My A4000 is networked
with other Amigas in the building (we have an Amiga network of about 10
machines), it is networked to our UNIX box, Windows NT Advanced Server,
a Macintosh IIci, and several DOS/Windows for Workgroups 3.11 machines.

I have had much experience using all four of the popular operating
systems (AmigaDOS, DOS/Windows, System 7, and UNIX) and I can tell you
that each machine has its advantages and disadvantages.

Yes, the Amiga is a wonderful machine, but Commodore isn't. If Commodore
fails (and I feel that they will), so will the Amiga...which will be sad.
Amiga is an awesome machine but _seriously lacks_ decent business-class
applications.

DOS/Windows has its ups'n'downs too... I _HATE_ the 640kb barrier and IRQ
conflicts, etc. BUT... it has some _awesome_ applications available for
it. Just take a look at Microsoft Access...or Word 6.0... or QuarkXPress.

Macintosh is _very_ easy to use...and has some very nice apps avaiable
for it. We use QuarkXPress and Adobe Photoshop...and love every minute of
it.

It just goes to show you that Fords, Buicks, Chevy's, Honda's,
Chrysler's, etc. are all automobiles. Each has its advantages and
disadvantages. Buy your computer for what YOU need out of it... not
because some joker says apples are better than oranges.

                                --Steve

Amiga vs. Mac vs. DOS/Windows

Post by Paul van der H » Mon, 07 Mar 1994 09:40:38

 : I am new to comp.sys.amiga... but I would like to make a comment. I have

 : general impression that a bunch of young children are* out here
 : attempting to bash every computer on the face of the planet (except, of

Nah, just people who like to lash out and get some frustration of their backs.
Although this was supposed to be a semi-serious advocacy group it grew into a
hack 'n' slash party. That's what purpose it serves now and it keeps most of
the dribble out of the 'serious' groups ..

 : Yes, the Amiga is a wonderful machine, but Commodore isn't.

True, C= is a company :^)

--

          Paul 'Starchild' van der Heu, The MotherShip Connection
                        Anyone seen my sunglasses??

             Commodore Amiga: 'No Bullshit, Just Excellence!'

1. OS/2 vs. Windows 3.1 vs. Windows NT vs. AmigaOS

Hi folks,

   Especially Jerry Shenkel as your mail always bounces...

   The financial community seems to have little grasp of the technical
graces of the current and immediately future personal computer
operating environments.  But they do exert a great deal of influence
over what succeeds in the "real" world.  What I read in the WSJ and
Investor's Business Daily seems to favor Windows 3.1 over OS/2 2.0 in
terms of success.  I would like to propose a rational discussion of
what people here think the chances of success for the various systems
look like.  And, without rhetoric, I would like to know what people
see as the technical strong points of the various systems include.
This can take place in a public forum or using email but it would be
nice if posters/emailers could refrain from the John Wayne/Ronald
Reagan syndrome when replying.  Thanks in advance.

2. Looking for Fortran compiler.

3. Amiga vs. Windows vs. Mac for games

4. WTB Bitsurfer pro

5. Amiga vs IBM vs MAC - My view

6. 2 56k modems versus a 64k leased line

7. JBBench Results - Amiga vs. Mac vs. PC

8. How do you enable the ACE_TRACE code in the ACE library for debugging?

9. Wintel vs Mac vs Amiga

10. Amiga vs. Mac vs. PC

11. Wintel vs Mac vs Amiga

12. Amiga vs. Mac vs. Cars