FAQ available? Questions on fans, A3640 use

FAQ available? Questions on fans, A3640 use

Post by John Sapona » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 00:19:05

Is there a FAQ for this group?  I'm sure my two questions
have been discussed:

1. I'd like to make my A3000/25MHz quieter.  Installing quietscsi
showed me that my hard drives are actually much quieter than
my fan.  Are quieter fans available?  Is installation safe
(ie, what precautions should be taken when working with the
power supply)?  And what specifications should I seek to
ensure that a replacement fan is functionally equivalent
(ie, does cubic feet per minute (CFM) explain all I need to
know) to the original one?

2. I'd like to install an A3640 in my A3000 (OS3.1 in ROM
chips).  I know there are jumpers to set, and perhaps other
things to do.  Would someone kindly post the requirements
and procedure?

Thanks,
John

John Saponara
Research Associate
Dept of Ecology
Princeton University

FAQ available? Questions on fans, A3640 use

Post by John P Shee » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 10:17:42

Quote:>1. I'd like to make my A3000/25MHz quieter.  Installing quietscsi
>showed me that my hard drives are actually much quieter than
>my fan.  Are quieter fans available?  Is installation safe
>(ie, what precautions should be taken when working with the
>power supply)?  And what specifications should I seek to
>ensure that a replacement fan is functionally equivalent
>(ie, does cubic feet per minute (CFM) explain all I need to
>know) to the original one?

Most of the time the bulk of the fan noise is not coming directly from
the fan, but is coming from the chassis of the computer (or HD case)
which is being vibrated by the fan.  I have cut the noise of my fans
tremendously by removing the mounting screws and re-mounting them with
1/8" thick double-sided foam tape.  The foam absorbs most of the
vibration.  Test the tape to make sure that it's adhesive is strong
before mounting, you don't want the fan to come loose while it's on!

Of course, if the machine is still under warrantee, this will be a
no-no.

1. AmiTCP/IP Faq, Bye bye Amiga Fans.

I have decided to sell all my Amiga's and as from Monday I'll not have one.

I need someone to take over the AmiTCP-Faq.

Regards,

Neil.

--

NOTE MAIL ADDRESS CHANGE Domino is no longer valid.   |        |        |

                                                      |        |        |
            Is this the last Domino?                  +-----------------+

2. HARD Freeze after full screens...

3. FAQ request - A4000 Fan Sucks

4. Adding functions to lib*-files _with_ entry in symbol-table

5. MovieShop software

6. A3640 Jumpers and FAQ

7. Search Engine Placement

8. FAQ on A3640 anywhere?

9. A3640 FAQ - Your opinions please!!

10. A3640->A3000 Desktop FAQ? OR Tips?

11. A3640 CPU board U209 PAL fix now available.

12. A3640 FAQ - Your opinions please!!