Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Gossey » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have the first version of Civlization.
I installed it on my HD.
But the game is slow. Slower than on the disks.
Does anyone have any idea of the reason ?

I tried all that can be try : Cache, CPU, MMU... ON/OFF. But nothing.
___________   ________________________________________________________
           /// Someone to help me (electronic) for a 1084 Monitor
          ///    fading out after being on for 1/2 hour continuously ?
         ///  I love S.F., F1GP, and...
 \\\    ///   I have an A1200/030/10Mb/80HD !

____\///______________________________________________________________

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Paul Gouldi » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have the first version of Civlization.
> I installed it on my HD.
> But the game is slow. Slower than on the disks.
> Does anyone have any idea of the reason ?

> I tried all that can be try : Cache, CPU, MMU... ON/OFF. But nothing.

I found it to be the same, or at least I did when I played this a couple
of years back.  Bascically I think the problem stems from it being
a very poor converstion across from the PC.  I tried various options
but couldnt get it to run faster.

Would love a good Civ style strategy, maybe Austex should write one...

> ___________   ________________________________________________________
>            /// Someone to help me (electronic) for a 1084 Monitor
>           ///    fading out after being on for 1/2 hour continuously ?
>          ///  I love S.F., F1GP, and...
>  \\\    ///   I have an A1200/030/10Mb/80HD !

> ____\///______________________________________________________________

Regards
Paul.

--
Snail mail to:                                  Email to:

     // Austex Sotware         /    *\
\\  //  P.O. Box 48            \_,-._/          Visit Austex Software web page
 \\//   Kirwan 4817                 v
        Qld. Australia.                         http://ph4227b.jcu.edu.au

or you may catch me on the #amiga on Efnet or Undernet using the nick Shaka.

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Mike Brindl » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have the first version of Civlization.
>I installed it on my HD.
>But the game is slow. Slower than on the disks.
>Does anyone have any idea of the reason ?

First, the update from Microprose helps some.  I got it from their BBS
and/or their ftp site some years back.  This is for ECS Civilization.

That makes 2.1 systems run reasonably well.  When I switched to 3.1,
it took another dramatic slow down.  This has to do with the massive
slowdown in 3.1 of changing the mouse pointer (because of needing to
handle the differences between sprites between ECS and AGA).  Since
Microprose did a cheesey conversion from the MSDOS version, it has
to blank the pointer and restore it hundreds of times to update the
screen.

The fix for this is to edit the executable (make sure you keep an
untouched backup).  Someone posted some instructions about doing this
a couple of years ago.  If my memory serves, there are four places
where the library function to blank the mouse is called.  You find
those places and change the call to something fast and harmless
in several (but not all) of those locations.  I remember something
about leaving the last (4th?) one alone.

--
--> Mike Brindley

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by K Stewa » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:
[etc]
:
: Would love a good Civ style strategy, maybe Austex should write one...
:
There is a good Civ type game that I got a few years ago called Colonial
Conquest II.  I found it on a CD coverdisk but I assume it can be found on
Aminet or others.  Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of the programmer,
can anyone enlighten me on his e-mail address as well?

----------

"I don't know what worries me more, the fact that one of our nuclear weapons
has been stolen, or that it has happened so often that we have a code word
for it."                                                       -Broken Arrow
----------

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Andrew Steph » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

As you get farther into Civilization, it gets slower.  I have run it on
an A4000 40 mhz 040 Warp with mucho RAM.  If it ran any slower, it would
be unplayable, at least to me.  As it is, it is *barely* playable.  Keep
a book handy to read while you wait...

Andrew

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Kyze » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: :
: [etc]
: :
: : Would love a good Civ style strategy, maybe Austex should write one...
: :
: There is a good Civ type game that I got a few years ago called Colonial
: Conquest II.  I found it on a CD coverdisk but I assume it can be found on
: Aminet or others.  Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of the programmer,
: can anyone enlighten me on his e-mail address as well?

I remember him, I quoted him in one of my programs (a restrant singer on a mud)

//=========================
//=== singing functions ===
//=========================
//   " I used to sing nicely when I was a kid. One day  however,  I
//     realized that people were fleeing  from  me  as  soon  as  I
//     started  to  sing.  The  same  thing  happened  when  I  was
//     whistling or making any other noise that was intended to  be
//     music. I concluded that I was not a musician and stopped all
//     my ambitions with this respect. "
//                                            - Christian Mumenthaler 23.8.94

Sadly, I don't recall his email-adress, but I'm sure I'd find it if I looked:
His game is on disk 8 of my (non-public) archives disks.

mods/rated/co_powerplay.lha is the original music from it, but I can't find
the game anywhere. Time I uploaded it, methinks.

--
******** KYZER ********      Stuart Caie, undergraduate of Aberdeen University
Homepage: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u13sac | My opinions aren't those of Aberdeen

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by SYLVAIN PARE » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >I have the first version of Civlization.
> >I installed it on my HD.
> >But the game is slow. Slower than on the disks.
> >Does anyone have any idea of the reason ?
> The fix for this is to edit the executable (make sure you keep an
> untouched backup).  Someone posted some instructions about doing this
> a couple of years ago.  If my memory serves, there are four places
> where the library function to blank the mouse is called.  You find
> those places and change the call to something fast and harmless
> in several (but not all) of those locations.  I remember something
> about leaving the last (4th?) one alone.
> --
> --> Mike Brindley

Good memory indeed !  I made the fix on my executable a year ago, and
everything is fine.  Here's what to do:

  - make a backup of your executable (named 'game')
  - edit the executable with a binary editor like Zap
  - search for the subroutine call $4EAEFEF2
  - there are four of them in the executable
  - change the third to NOPs: from $4EAEFEF2 to $4E714E71
  - save and try it !

On my version of the game (855.04) the third call is located at offset
$3627A from the top of the file.  This may not be the same with 855.01.
I only NOPed the third call to get the dramatic speed increase.  I don't
know if you can get more speed by NOPing other calls, I didn't try it.

     Good luck,
          Sylvain Parent

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Nick Curc » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[...]

First of all, this is great.  Thanx.  I have 855.01 and found the four
spots.

Have you noticed how much the pointer flickers whether you do this hack or
not?  WEll, I tried messing with the other values.  If you replace the
1st, 3rd, and 4th the pointer doesn't flicker anymore.  Rock steady.  The
second one seems to affect the screen redraws.  If you change that one it
makes the movements lightning fast!  The only problem I've noticed is that
the battles happen pretty much instantaneously.  It's kinda difficult to
follow what's going on.  It's worth a look, though, as just seeing how
fast your pieces can move is worth the time. :)

BTW, did you find these hacks yourself?  I'd like to know how people
figure this stuff out.

nik

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by SYLVAIN PARE » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> BTW, did you find these hacks yourself?  I'd like to know how people
> figure this stuff out.
> nik

No, someone posted it here some time ago.  How can we find it ?  Basically,
that's simple, but you need some knowledge of the system.  You noticed
that the pointer was blinking like crazy, right ?  So what you want to do
is to find the calls to system routines that work with the pointer, to
see what the programmers did wrong.  One of these calls is SetPointer,
of intuition library, located at offset -10e, which translate to a
code like $4exx fef2 where the xx is dependant of the call mode and
fef2 is equal to -10e.  And then you can look at the executable to see
if you can find something like this.  Alternatively, you can use
some dissasembler to have a look at the actual assembly code if you
can read it.
                             Sylvain Parent

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Nick Curc » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:
[...]

Thanx.  I guess I just have to find the time to get into programming... ;)

nik

Civilization very slow:why?

Post by Kyze » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: BTW, did you find these hacks yourself?  I'd like to know how people
: figure this stuff out.
Usually you d/asm (Resource, IRA...) or monitor (Monam, mon...) the game,
and see what is happening, systemfriendly stuff is easy enough to figure
out. Once you're sure, nop ($4e71) or hop ($6004) the required calls that
U don't need.

Example:
Pinball Fantasies AGA calls an entirely seperate routine to ask you to
enter a word from the manual, it doesn't care if it works or not. Hop it.

World Clas Leaderboard has a routine that waits N vertical blanks, which
is far overused in the game, terrible delays for no good reason. NOP over
the loop, so it only waits for 1 vbl.

--
******** KYZER ********      Stuart Caie, undergraduate of Aberdeen University
Homepage: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u13sac | My opinions aren't those of Aberdeen
Adamant: telnet 130.83.9.19 port 4711   | University or AUCC, thankfully. ****

1. Civilization Slow Down

: I recently purchased an A4000/040.  When I re-installed my copy of Civilization
: and began playing it I found that the movements had slowed down to about half
: the speed that it was on my A3000/16 !  I have not been able to reclaim the
: lost speed by either using degrader or booting up with AGA disabled.  It works,
: but is frustrating to play.

: Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone offer me some ways to solve this?

: --- Xenolink 1.90

I'm not sure but I think it's a cunning trick used by the programmers to
make the PC version look good.

1. check for processor installed
2. for 68000 execute a NOP loop 1000 times
    "  68020   "       "        2000   "
    "  68030   "       "        5000   "
    "  68040   "       "        20000  "
there you have it no matter what the spec of the machine it always appears
to be running uphill with the handbrake on :)

I have also not seen much improvement after running Civilization on
A2000>A1200>A1200+GVP1230, :-/ somethings wrong somewhere.

--
~=================================================~

   /\
  /\/\        SYSTEM READY....  INSERT BANANA
  ^^^^
~=================================================~

2. Arkanoid controler

3. MQ SERIES/ AS/400/ CONTRACT/ TX

4. Civilization and A4000, awfully slow

5. impersonation

6. Why is Chip Ram slow?

7. Why are Amiga HD floppies 'slow'?

8. SC2000 AGA - Why it is sooooo slow.....

9. P5 060 Amiga 2000 113 megs ram-- slow why???

10. Slow Zip drive on Fastlane Z3: Why?

11. 2HD's on a1200 - why is other one slowing down??