Can't be done

Post by Steffen Haeus » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> (Steffen Haeuser) writes:

>>> "Doom can't be done on the Amiga".  Now we have Gloom and Citadel,
> etc.

>>What about :

>>"Quake can't be done on the Amiga". Now we have a playable demo of
> Alien Breed
>>3D II, while PC owners have a non playable Demo of Quake ? Quake, the
> Alien
>>Breed 3D II Clone, hehehe...

>>Steffen Haeuser

> Actually, I was at a friend's house today and he showed me a playable
> version of Quake.  There are no monsters but you can play 1-on-1
> deathmatch.  On the other hand, on his 486-66 with 16mb of ram (no
> kidding) it was slower than crap!  Hah, ha!

It was probably still faster than on my 486-50 8 MB... :) Imagine this... that
thing has a GRAPHICS BOARD... and still Quake is slower on it than on my A4000
with outdated AGA... (a 486 DX 50 probably is slightly faster than a 25 MHz
68040 normally, as to my guesses, having both of them on my working table...)

Steffen Haeuser

Can't be done

Post by misc.. » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> It was probably still faster than on my 486-50 8 MB... :) Imagine this... that
> thing has a GRAPHICS BOARD... and still Quake is slower on it than on my A4000
> with outdated AGA... (a 486 DX 50 probably is slightly faster than a 25 MHz
> 68040 normally, as to my guesses, having both of them on my working table...)

In case you don't realise, comparing frame rates on cpu's of Quake and AB3d is
like comparing Doom and wolfenstien 3d - wolf3d runs much faster, but Doom has
got a _far_ more powerful engine, and compared to wolf3d, it has the potential to
do some _amazing_ stuff, but speed is the price that must be paid, no matter
how skilled the coders...
In terms of engines, AB3d is a Doom clone, and its capibilities and features
rate pretty much along the same lines. Quake is far more advanced, but it
doesn't really show at this stage as much as the speed hit that you have to
take to see it. Regardless of whether it shows in the test (generally it
doesn't, but prob will in the game) the Quake engine, in terms of what it can
do, makes Doom, AB3d, etc look like pacman. Ok, I exaggerate, but you get my
point?

(Spot the guy who has been absolutely blown away by Quake... :)

1. DOS file protection bits ('h' + 'p') ???

I have wrongly assumed that the 'h' bit meant "hidden" in my TurboList
program (it should be on aminet in util/sys/tlist007.lha or
util/shell/tlist007.lha).  I have been informed that 'h' means "hold" -
ie. when a file is pure ('p') executable, and has the 'h' bit set, it will
be automatically loaded into the resident list upon first use (in os3.0
anyway).

However, does 'h' have any meaning when 'p' is not set ?
It seems a waste to have 2 protection bits entirely devoted to the purity
of a executable - ie. can I assume 'h' means hidden when 'p' is not set ?

2. The folder you entered does not appear to be valid

3. <dos.h> vs. <dos/dos.h>

4. Progressive P 040 a500

5. Marc 'who am I' Barrett.

6. Installing Mac software on 800K floppy onto Sparc running MAE?

7. Q: Will be port 'Veil of Darkness' to Am

8. IN MOSCOW: inexpensive SUN system wanted

9. Drakkhen help (Am I done ? )

10. something i am doing wrong or an SAS 6.51 streams problem?

11. FPU: What am I doing wrong???

12. What am I doing wrong

13. Printing the device list -- what am I doing wrong?