Is Bernd "Bernie" Meyer a PC or Amiga guy???

Is Bernd "Bernie" Meyer a PC or Amiga guy???

Post by gnic.. » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:22:23

Hey dude do you post here because you like to agrivate Amiga owners. You never
seem to say anything supporting the Ami. Are you PC guy? I would really like to
know. Also if you are a PC guy, I would like to know what you think is better about
the PC than the Amiga. Please list in detail since I am not an amature. Please note
this post is objective, I am really interested to know why you post here and where
your loyalties are.
C-ya

Post by Berni » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 02:36:36

>Hey dude

Hey gnichte, there is a real name field in my posts which you obviously
managed to find. How about putting one into yours as well?

Quote:>do you post here because you like to agrivate Amiga owners.

I post here because rather ridiculous claims are made about the platform of
my choice --- which happens not to be an Amiga.

Quote:>You never seem to say anything supporting the Ami.

Oh well --- how often did I say that the Ami is a good computer, that the OS
is a good solution to problems which just happen not to be mine, and that
especially in the eighties, the Amiga's hardware was very nice.

However, I also say that, by allowing coders to bang the hardware, C= got
tied into downward compatibility, which makes it very hard for them to go
far beyond the 1200's capabilities --- which are lacking when compared to
low cost PC hardware. I also say that some of the very nice aspects of the
OS were implemented at the cost of the _possibility_ of other features, so
its about the same problem.

All in all, the Amiga has to fight with a mentality that, for the most part,
treats it as a C64 --- a machine that is there, which won't be changed and
which you can hack to do incredible things. Only those incredible things
break as soon as someone changes the hardware or the OS.

Yes, Windows and System 7 are a lot slower than the Amiga's OS (though quite
less so than many Amiga advocates claim, unless set up very poorly), but
they do a lot more --- they offer abstraction at many levels. Now RTG seems
to be not too far away for the Amiga --- let's see what happens to the
blinding performance when it arrives. Let's see what happens to the
performance when you add virtual memory. Let's see what happens when you add
device independent sound, device independent input services, transparent
font creation etc.

Don't take this as a praise of Windows or System 7, as far as I am
concerned, they should both rot in hell.

Quote:>Are you PC guy? I would really like to know.

Well, yes and no. I am somebody who likes to get the most out of his
machine, where "the most" includes memory protection, virtual memory,
preemptive multitasking, decent windowing system, excellent serial
performance, multiuser capabilities and easy uucp networking as well as
standard programming tools, a powerful editor (called emacs, there ain't no
other powerful editor :-) and so on.

So, you see, the only choice for my money is a unix system, which makes
sense, as I happen to have been a CS student, and will probably be a CS
postgrad soon. The PC is the cheapest unix system around --- mine runs
linux, which is free and comes with source. I know there is linux and
especially *BSD for the Amiga, but seriously --- when stripped of its native
OS, what's the advantage of an unix-capable Amiga over an equally priced PC?

The price advantage of the PC is enhanced, for me, as I work for a PC shop,
so I can get everything at dealer's prices, and as I live near an electronic
junkyard, which gets heaps of PC stuff, but very few Amigas ;-) (Actually,
haven't seen anything Amiga like there in years --- a few Macs, but no
Amiga). I know this isn't true for everybody, but hey, I am not making
decisions for everybody, either....

Quote:>Also if you are a PC guy, I would like to know what you think is better about
>the PC than the Amiga.

How about the price? The availability? Modularity? Range of offered
peripherals?

For me, it's simply that I can get a full unix system with its implied device
indepence at a cost that is peanuts compared to anything comparable using
the Amiga. No more, no less. Other people would tell you about the great
range of high quality software, but for me, that doesn't really matter. I am
perfectly capable of using LaTeX, so MS can take its buggy *ty called
WinWord and take a hike....

My decision which computer to buy is mainly based on what I want to do with
it, and what system will fulfill my needs for the least money. Hadn't it
been for linux (and the *BSDs), I would run an Amiga today, because of the
OS. It wouldn't fulfill my needs, but it would be closest.

I have stopped investing real money in my system about 18 months ago (except
for a quieter harddisk recently --- I happen to sleep in the same room as
this thing is supposed to run a BBS, and a cheap CD-ROM, which probably has
paid itself already in saved telephone bills), on one side, because it does
what I want it to do (I didn't say no to an upgrade from 8M to 20M which I
made a net profit on, of course --- soon going to 32M), on the other hand
because expanding this system any further would mean totally replacing
nearly all parts --- and if I buy a new system, anyway, it will be an ALPHA,
running, of course, linux :-)

Quote:>Please list in detail since I am not an amature.

One more beef I have with the Amiga is its video bandwidth --- I got this
wonderful monitor, and am runnig at really ergonomic refresh rates (text
mode at 124 Hz, 800x600 at around 90Hz and 1024x768 non interlaced at 75Hz).
As I said before, I have an honours degree in CS, so I _do_ spend some time
in front of the machine, and I don't want to get headaches all the time.

Quote:>Please note this post is objective, I am really interested to know why
>you post here and where your loyalties are.

I hope this posting was objective enough?

BTW, my only loyalties are to my body, my employer and of course that crazy
Finnish guy :-)

Bernie

Post by la.. » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 14:00:20

: >do you post here because you like to agrivate Amiga owners.

: I post here because rather ridiculous claims are made about the platform of
: my choice --- which happens not to be an Amiga.

Why are you concerned what Amiga users think, if you are not one as well?

: Don't take this as a praise of Windows or System 7, as far as I am
: concerned, they should both rot in hell.

You know, you're okay! :)

: >Are you PC guy? I would really like to know.

: Well, yes and no. I am somebody who likes to get the most out of his
: machine, where "the most" includes memory protection, virtual memory,
: preemptive multitasking, decent windowing system, excellent serial
: performance, multiuser capabilities and easy uucp networking as well as
: standard programming tools, a powerful editor (called emacs, there ain't no
: other powerful editor :-) and so on.

You seem to be a bit like me... you like COMPUTERS, period.

: >Also if you are a PC guy, I would like to know what you think is better about
: >the PC than the Amiga.

: How about the price? The availability? Modularity? Range of offered
: peripherals?

Makes sense, but most of the people here are die-hard Amigoids.  These
have little to do with our opinion of the Amiga.

: One more beef I have with the Amiga is its video bandwidth --- I got this
: wonderful monitor, and am runnig at really ergonomic refresh rates (text
: mode at 124 Hz, 800x600 at around 90Hz and 1024x768 non interlaced at 75Hz).
: As I said before, I have an honours degree in CS, so I _do_ spend some time
: in front of the machine, and I don't want to get headaches all the time.

This allows it to go to video much much easier.

| When the heart rules, foolish actions result. | Stephen S. Edwards II at  |
| When the mind rules, we are led astray.       |   Silvertip Productions   |

1. AMIGA 4000 with WARP sale"""""""""""""""""""""""""

4000 50megs ram,Warp 040/40, 120HD,320HD,340HD,2meg chip.
All mint $4200

4000 24megs ram,Warp 040/40mhz, 120HD,500HD,2meg chip ram.
Mint shape
$3500

Both systems work great and the 50 meg system has lots of software
on it.
24meg system has some.

Will include a bernoulli disk full of objects for either system.
150 meg disk with tons of objects  etc.

2. CD-ROM-ARCHIFE

3. Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

4. (((INCREASE YOUR WALLET SIZE)))

5. Mind.forth "mind21.lha" in "Files" #43 "Programming"

6. Forgotten game name?

7. Bernie "thinks" Negroponte is technophobic reporter?

8. Anyone heard about DAvE ?

9. Join the "I am Amiga" Club.

10. "I Am Amiga" promotion ends in a few hours

11. Join the "I am Amiga" Club

12. Latest AMIGA version of "uuencode" & "uudecode"

13. HELP ABOUT "AMIGA MUSIC KIT" -Andrea "DiskOrso" Orsucci