Which filesystem am I using?

Post by Robert Huebn » Tue, 31 Mar 1992 08:56:19

In general I love 2.04 and the manuals are a quantum leap from what has
been included before in terms of AmigaDos documentation.  However one
point has confused me from the very beginning so I'd like a clarification:

I would like to have my Hard drives both formatted under the 2.04 ROM
version of the fastfilesystem.  I formatted them with the TCUtils program
while running the 2.04 ROMS.  However, they didn't seem much faster this
way and they are still readable and writable if I boot under 1.3 ROMs.
My understanding was that a true 2.04 FFS would not be usable under 1.3.

Other facts I can discern:

Version DH0: return the value 37.26
"inf" returns type FFS (not surprising)
Still read/writable under WB/KS 1.3
Still boots if FastFileSystem is not contained in L:

Also, while we're on the topic, are the default values in the TCUtils
program which the manual describes as "Optimum" really still optimum under
2.04?  I am running two HD's, one Quantum and one Seagate.  If any other
2.04/TrumpCard user has found variations from the defaults which increase
throughput, please let me know.

Thank you.

1. The Amiga and Future Filesystem/Organization (RDBMS Filesystem)

I'm just browsing through the log of a conference with dr. Havemose and
read a question about the organization of the Amiga OS in the future.
(This in relation to the QNX kernal choice.)

And I thought to myself, wouldn't a relational filesystem a la BE be
good? Think about it for a moment. (Or more.) The possibilities for
organization would be very large (as opposed to the fixed type of files
and directories, especially when the same file is needed many places),
small files wouldn't eat up large blocks (take Windows and large hard
drives and the _enourmous_ block sizes).

Finding something would be easy, and adding information to a file would
be easy. And if the data is stored like blobs (binary objects) in the
DB, then a file wouldn't be lost to a program once it was moved, because
every file would have a unique ID (number).

For streaming data this wouldn't work as well, I believe, but for the
general system I think it would be a good idea.
--
Paul Kenneth Egell-Johnsen
Metaphor Systems as

2. Batteries last only 5 mins on new Palm Vx

3. WTB: (software) Xetec CDx CD-ROM filesystem (or other filesystem?)

4. OpenGL Camera Matrices from 3D Studio Max

5. Wow! I'm using an Am

6. Trouble matching overdue payments

7. Bill Gates uses an Am

8. Compaq not recognizing full hard drive space

9. How I am using Moned

10. I AM USING MY PC NOW - AND ...

11. I am truly sorry that I am not as bright as most others...

12. FS : IDE Connors 1.2 GB HD (Barely Used), Seagate IDE 540 MB Used.

13. AT&T using patent to go after people using X