Bad News about INFO

Post by Marc N Barre » Thu, 17 Sep 1992 13:47:20

   I went to the Omaha "AUoH" user's group metting tonight.  I actually met a
real Amiga commercial developer in person for the first time -- *AND LIVED*!!!
:-) :-)

   Anyway, that was just an aside.  I heard tonight that it looks like INFO
magazine really is done in for good.  Next Sunday, September 20 1992, at
9:00 AM in Iowa City, INFO will be auctioning off everything.  There is said
to be about $150,000 worth of stuff they will be auctioning, and I may be
attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

   Since INFO appears to be auctioning everything they have, it looks like
they won't be coming back.  This is really unfortunate.

---

Bad News about INFO

Post by Harv R Las » Thu, 17 Sep 1992 08:03:37

>   Anyway, that was just an aside.  I heard tonight that it looks like INFO
>magazine really is done in for good.  Next Sunday, September 20 1992, at
>9:00 AM in Iowa City, INFO will be auctioning off everything.  There is said
>to be about $150,000 worth of stuff they will be auctioning, and I may be
>attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

>   Since INFO appears to be auctioning everything they have, it looks like
>they won't be coming back.  This is really unfortunate.

>---

Actually, Info isn't running the auction. It's being run by Sharpless
Auctions on behalf of Firstar Bank (of Iowa City) who now own all of
Info Publications's stuff. Someone sent me a copy of the large red
flyer detailing what's going to be sold and all I can say is I wish
I could be there. I can't imagine what kind of a crowd a computer auction
in Iowa City would attract.. I've got mental images of Farmer Vern
bidding $20 on the A3000UX so he can keep track of his cows.

Anyone who attends should be able to meet Mark Brown, venerable
Info managing editor (Mark's quite hard to miss :-)
Who said online on Portal tonite that he'd probably attend.

But yes... Info is most definitely out of business. This has been
a True Fact [tm] for a few months now.

Harv
[former Contributing Editor to INFO and .info but not a "real"
employee of theirs and as such, can probably kiss away all the money
they still owe me...dammit.]

ps.. please promise me that you'll walk thru my neighborhood
sometime with $10,000 cash on you.

Bad News about INFO

Post by <JLKA.. » Thu, 17 Sep 1992 19:02:54

Barrett) says:

Quote:>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

Get a rope boys....We'll fly down and get him and his cash!

>   Since INFO appears to be auctioning everything they have, it looks like
>they won't be coming back.  This is really unfortunate.

>---

JLK

Bad News about INFO

Post by dan edward abe » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 01:08:34

>>   Since INFO appears to be auctioning everything they have, it looks like
>>they won't be coming back.  This is really unfortunate.

>>---

>But yes... Info is most definitely out of business. This has been
>a True Fact [tm] for a few months now.

>Harv
>[former Contributing Editor to INFO and .info but not a "real"
>employee of theirs and as such, can probably kiss away all the money
>they still owe me...dammit.]

Although .info is gone forever, AMIGAphile still remains.  The Amiga magazine
field has only a few very large contenders but many small strugglers.  In
Europe, there is a wide selection of Amiga magazines.

Remember how many of them are distribued over the net ... for no charge.

It may be free but that doesn't mean it isn't worth reading.

Founder of AMIGAphile                                           issue #3 is
Editor and Publisher of the AMIGAphile newsletter               now available

Bad News about INFO

Post by Lionel T » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 01:00:40

Quote:

>   I went to the Omaha "AUoH" user's group metting tonight.  I actually met a
>real Amiga commercial developer in person for the first time -- *AND LIVED*!!!
>:-) :-)

>   Anyway, that was just an aside.  I heard tonight that it looks like INFO
>magazine really is done in for good.  Next Sunday, September 20 1992, at
>9:00 AM in Iowa City, INFO will be auctioning off everything.  There is said
>to be about $150,000 worth of stuff they will be auctioning, and I may be
>attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

In used banknotes?? And you will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket?
;-)

--

Vision Group, City University, London, EC1V 0HB. 071-477 8000 x 3889

Bad News about INFO

Post by Harv R Las » Thu, 17 Sep 1992 20:23:23

>Although .info is gone forever, AMIGAphile still remains.  The Amiga magazine
>field has only a few very large contenders but many small strugglers.  In
>Europe, there is a wide selection of Amiga magazines.

>Remember how many of them are distribued over the net ... for no charge.

>It may be free but that doesn't mean it isn't worth reading.

>Founder of AMIGAphile                                               issue #3 is
>Editor and Publisher of the AMIGAphile newsletter           now available

Dan, did anyone imply that "free" magazines aren't worth reading?
I read yours, and every other electronically-distributed Amiga
magazine I can get my hands on. I'm an information junkie and so
are a lot of other folks. Electronic distribution means you can get
sstories out to folks weeks and months before print media can. That's
the beauty of it. YOu do an admirable and generally thankless job
and you're to be commended for it.

Harv

Bad News about INFO

Post by GSD Advanced Packing/Process » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 02:42:46

Quote:

> In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
> I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
> jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

Boy, this guy has guts!  He tells us where he can be found and then sweetens
the deal by telling us he'll be carrying lots of money!

I guess verbal abuse just isn't enough for Mark anymore, he must be some
sort of * :)

Mark, I'm just kidding!  Judging your popularity here, I'd be more carefull...

Mike Lundberg

Bad News about INFO

Post by Pete Bab » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 04:38:42

Quote:

>attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

Thanks for the info Marc! I'll have blue and white jacket on with a
gun in my pocket  :)

--

I'd rather be on a boat or a           ///  /\
roller coaster. Member of A.C.E  \\\  ///  /--\MIGA

Bad News about INFO

Post by George Francis McB » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 05:33:46

[.info informaton]

Quote:>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

(If this was some attempt at a joke I didn't get, forgive me..But...)
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.  How smart do you have to be to
tell people the world-over that: A) You'd be carrying 10,000$ in cash,
B) Where you'd be when you had that money and C) What you'd be wearing,
so as to make you an easier target...

Bad News about INFO

Post by Don Robert DeCos » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 06:04:56

Quote:>ps.. please promise me that you'll walk thru my neighborhood
>sometime with $10,000 cash on you.

But first post to the net what you'll be wearing, what time you'll be there
and which pocket you carry your wallet in.  Thanks

Don DeCosta           |The nice thing about sanity is|  VM/Nomad2

Bad News about INFO

Post by Robert Kesters » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 15:13:02

[ stuff about .info auction deleted]

> attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
> I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
> jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

>    Since INFO appears to be auctioning everything they have, it looks like
> they won't be coming back.  This is really unfortunate.

> ---

Is it really smart to tell people who you are, where you're going to be, what
you'll be wearing, and that you will be carrying a large sum of cash?

 Robert Kesterson             "First learn computer science and all

                              style.  Then forget all that and
                              just hack."        -- George Carrette

Bad News about INFO

Post by David Stims » Fri, 18 Sep 1992 12:11:06

Quote:>attending.  In case some of you people want to meet me for the first time,
>I will be wearing a cardinal-colored ISU jacket (if it's cool enough for a
>jacket) and will have about $10,000 in cash with me to purchase stuff.

Wow...not only could we find THE MB...but we can also MUG him!!!  What a
deal!!!

-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

    "The chair is armed.  Repeat.  The chair is armed." - The Chair - FLA

Bad News about INFO

Post by Frank R. Dana J » Sat, 19 Sep 1992 08:03:24

Yeah, but the BEST magazine in the world isn't free. It's DaDa Tennis, available
at great Amiga shops everywhere!  8)

<Shameless plug for some great guys from the NYC BBS scene. They're wild, scary,
manly he-men. Pick up YOUR copy today!>

Don't really go looking for DaDa Tennis - I think they only made 2 or 3 issues,
and that was YEARS ago. But, <<HI!>> to Bill and all the guys - wherever you
are!

--
/////////////////////////[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
(718)             (212)                        (516)             (518)

1. Good news and Bad news

        I have some good news and some bad news.

        Good news first. We will be free from obnoxious, whining,
opinionated, idiots, who continue to post an endless stream of
trash and mistruth onto the net, very soon.

        The bad news. The world will end at, Korean time, approx 2 am,
October 29, 1992. This is according to a Korean religious sect, who's
name escapes me. They even have their leases paid only until Oct 29.
After the 29th, there won't be anything left to pay for, or with.

        I think I'll stay up and get some photos of it.

                    DOD# 251  '84 VF 750   Closet Ducatisto
             Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

2. Any recs re Apple Laserwriter IINTX or Abaton laserscript LX

3. Napalm Site is up, No news (=bad news IMO)

4. Moving the cursor to the bottom of a richedit window.

5. No news is really bad news?

6. Grabbing text from PDFs

7. Amiga GL: Good News/Bad News

8. Using MSCOMM32.OCX in LotusScript to access modem

9. Good News To Most, Bad News To Few

10. Good news and Bad news

11. Good News and Bad News (copper-blitter)

12. More Bad News For Some People....

13. More C= Bad News