Backup software needed for Exabyte 8200

Post by Jamie H. Cla » Wed, 27 Jan 1993 01:23:29

I tried Matt Dillion's TAPE handler and GNUtar to backup my Amiga 3000
hard disk to Exabyte 8200 (2.3GB 8mm) tape drive.  The tape drive light will
turn to inform me that it is writing data to the tape, then the SCSI bus
hungs up (hard disk light stays on).  Is there any updated version of TAPE
handler and backup software that will work fine with Exabyte 8200?

        Jamie

Backup software needed for Exabyte 8200

Post by Steve Kor » Wed, 27 Jan 1993 10:49:34

Quote:> I tried Matt Dillion's TAPE handler and GNUtar to backup my Amiga 3000
> hard disk to Exabyte 8200 (2.3GB 8mm) tape drive.  The tape drive light will

[rest of problem description deleted ]

I think there are at least two possible problems you might be seeing:

  1.  You have something physically set up incorrectly, such as improper
      bus termination, etc.  In this case, a software update won't help.

  2.  Your tar or tape handler is broken.  I have never had much luck
      with GNU-tar, especially when dealing with multi-part tape
      archives.

I use the BTN-tape handler (by Bob Rethemeyer) and tar with good
results, but I don't use GNU-tar.  I'm not sure how to describe the tar
I use because it doesn't have a version string.  The binary is 33552
bytes.  It has worked flawlessly for me, and i use it very extensively.

With this tar I could reference multiple tar archives on one physical
tape (ie, tar -tvf tape:35), and append to the tape (tar -cf tape:app
blah).  But with GNU-tar, attempting to append to the tape overwrote the
1st archive on the tape.  I think this is because GNU tar, if you gave
it "tape:app" as a file name, tried to somehow reference "tape:" first,
which caused the handler to rewind the tape.  That's just my theory, but
anyway, GNU-tar was big and seemed to have enough problems that this
other tar works much better for me.  (I use it with an Archive DAT
unit).

  - steve

Post by Jim Perkows » Wed, 27 Jan 1993 04:28:19

Quote:> I tried Matt Dillion's TAPE handler and GNUtar to backup my Amiga 3000
> hard disk to Exabyte 8200 (2.3GB 8mm) tape drive.  The tape drive light will
> turn to inform me that it is writing data to the tape, then the SCSI bus
> hungs up (hard disk light stays on).  Is there any updated version of TAPE
> handler and backup software that will work fine with Exabyte 8200?

>    Jamie

Have you tried Ami-Back 2.0 with your DAT drive? It's supposed to work. There
are some demo versions of Ami-Back 2.0 that you could try with it.

--
____________________________________
        (Jim Perkowski)

1. Ultimate Amiga Backup: 2.5 Gig Exabyte 8200

   Exabyte SCSI Tape Drive model 8200.  8mm tapes with 2.5 GB native capacity.
Will backup just about any drive on one tape (unless you've got a really
huge harddrive -- then you have to span).  This tape backup can also
be used with anything that supports SCSI (PC's/Macs) as well.

includes cleaning tape ($30) and two data grade 8mm tapes ($10 each)

Will trade for a loaded 1200 system or asking best offer (they retail
new for around $1300 but I am looking for much less).

2. WSDK.config

3. VC804 crash; backup prog. that supports Exabyte 8200

4. Question: Client Access & NT Server mappings?

5. Exabyte 8200 SCSI 8mm DAT backup

6. CONSULTING SKILLS WORKSHOP FOR SOFTWARE PROFESSIONALS

7. Exabyte 8200 with A3000?

8. Exabyte 8200 / IVS Grandslam / AmiBack

9. ExaByte 8200 driver

10. ExaByte 8200 More Questions

11. What tapes does Exabyte EXB-8200 use??