Wizard 3 button mouse questions (was: MCP)

Post by Thomas Tavo » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I've had two that were like that, one of which was returned and
> 'fixed' by Wizard, but still did not function correctly.

Someone else mailed me with the same problem, so it seems it's not an
isolated case.

Quote:> I was told the wheels got out of alignment sometimes during transit

Sounds bogus. Those flywheels usually click into place and cannot be
'slightly' misaligned, it's either clicked in place or not at all, in which
case it would be nearly unusable. I now have managed to open it: after
dangerously bending the print and managing a cursory peek inside I noticed
there are two screws _beneath_ the top most slider stickers holding the mouse
together... The flywheels were perfectly aligned and flew for seconds when
spun. No fluff, plastic residue or anything else I could detect in there
either. Seems to me it's a design flaw, maybe in the chip, maybe some
electrical tolerance problem. The chip is nearly the same as the Philips
chip in the Logitech, looks like a cheaper copy (HD.. for Hyundai?).
Maybe because there are 4 diodes for each flywheel instead of 2 for the
greater resolution and the holes in the wheel at some position do not quite
overlap a conflicting signal is sent, or interpreted by the chip. I wonder
if I would cover one of the pair it would help anything, diminish
resolution or render it inoperable altogether?

On the microswitches: in the Logitech and an M$ mouse I took apart they
were labeled 'Omron/Japan', the Logitech with red contact bit, the M$ one
grey. The Wizard has green bits and is not marked other than a sigil
looking like '|-C' (HC?). I wonder whether I should mess around desoldering
the microswitches and exchanging them for the Omrons. Are they electrically
fully compatible? Any answers greatly appreciated.

Followups set to c.s.a.hardware.

      _ . Thomas Tavoly

 . \X/    http://www.cistron.nl/~ttavoly
 ...  5.1

Wizard 3 button mouse questions (was: MCP)

Post by Chris Appleto » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On 04-Jun-97 19:32:50, Thomas Tavoly said about Wizard 3 button mouse
questions (was: MCP):

Quote:>conflicting signal is sent, or interpreted by the chip. I wonder if I would
>cover one of the pair it would help anything, diminish resolution or render
>it inoperable altogether?

I have a Wizard 3-button, and it works fine. But my friend, who bought his at
the same time, had problems with the movement, it seemed like the signals were
getting crossed and the pointer was jumping about.

In his ever technical-minded way, he banged it about on the table and it now
works fine. A low tech way, I think :)

Thinking about it, his Amiga->Atari switch was stiffer than mine, it's
possible these don't work properly?

Chris
--
     Chris Appleton      : Amiga: Not dead, just hibernating for a while

Computers rot your brain. I didn't think MP's could use computers

Wizard 3 button mouse questions (was: MCP)

Post by Hidehiko Oga » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

FWIW, my first Wizard mouse was defective too; it just didn't register
the horizontal movement.  And no, it wasn't the cable nor my Amiga, at
least.

As always, Software Hut was nice enough to send a free replacement, so
that was that for me :).  But the original poster with a flaky rodent
might just as well ask for a replacement, while he can.

Speaking of Wizard mouse, is it just me to find that the case is a bit
too rectangular?  The front corner of the case used to irritate the
base of my thumb rather badly; I had to file the corner off to make it
more "ergonomic".
--
  //  }{idehiko ()gata  "Welcome to the human race."
\X/    /\miga /\rtist

Post by Rick Townsen » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

 CA> On 04-Jun-97 19:32:50, Thomas Tavoly said about Wizard 3 button mouse
 CA> questions (was: MCP):

Quote:>>conflicting signal is sent, or interpreted by the chip. I wonder if I would
>>cover one of the pair it would help anything, diminish resolution or render
>>it inoperable altogether?

 CA> I have a Wizard 3-button, and it works fine. But my friend, who bought
 CA> his at the same time, had problems with the movement, it seemed like the
 CA> signals were getting crossed and the pointer was jumping about.

 CA> In his ever technical-minded way, he banged it about on the table and it
 CA> now works fine. A low tech way, I think :)

 CA> Thinking about it, his Amiga->Atari switch was stiffer than mine, it's
 CA> possible these don't work properly?

I've just bought one of these and have the same problem, when moving
the mouse slowly up the screen the pointer sometimes just jumps up and
down, most irritating.

                      http://www.slicks.demon.co.uk/

Wizard 3 button mouse questions (was: MCP)

Post by Thomas Hall » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

add me to the club of jumpy wizzard mouse owners !
I certified that is _not_ caused by bad traction between mouse-ball
and wheels ... the mousepointer even jumps when I turn the wheels
directly ...
If someone finds out what (electronical) fault (timing ?) causes the
problem, let me know, too !
___
 |homas

1. Wizard 3 button mouse

Hi,

I bought a 3 button mouse from Wizzard about 12 months ago and its
worked very well, however, it has just started to get very unresponsive
when I press the middle button, so much so that I have to really press
it hard to get it to register.  The odd part is that it still clicks
perfectly with only slight pressure.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it slowly giving up?

Thanks for your help.

 Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230 IV 32mb ram & 50Mhz F.P.U  - 5.7 GIGS HD
 Surf Squirrel with Zip drive & Quad speed C.D.  USR Sportster Voice X2
 PGP Key fingerprint = BE 8C 83 60 83 06 73 4E  E4 CF B5 43 6C D0 9D 34
                               Team AMIGA
--
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

2. help on deploying aspx pages online

3. Middle button on 3-button mouse.

4. Layers in FP98

5. 3-Button Mouse Questions

6. $10,000 question (help me identify a bug..)

7. Three Button Mice Question

8. WinOnCD 3.6

9. Three-button Mice/mouses

10. WTB: 3 Button mouse or PC mouse adapter for A4000

11. Question: BOOPSI button emulating GadTools button

12. FS: FMV, Wizard mice.