PasTeX Printing And Postscript

Post by Guy Delamart » Sat, 22 Feb 1992 16:01:54

To Georg or anyone else who can help me.  I have set up Pas-Tex's dviprint to
work to great degree with my Okidata 292 printer.  However, I can't seem to
get it to properly skip large veritcal spaces on the page (e.g. from the
top of the page to the first line of text or from the bottom of the page to
the footer).  Vertical skipping that is less than a few dots seems to
work fine.  Ideas?

Also, Postscript has been an exercise in frustration.  As soon as I get the
graphic placed where EPSF.TEX has placed a vbox for it, it disappears!
Evidently in Show.dvi the page and the typeset blank space is placed after and
over the top of the Postscript graphic.  Any remedies?  Is there any good
way to tweak SpecialHost to place the Postscript origin at the point in the
page where it is called rather than having it fix the origin at the bottom
left corner?  As it is, each time I call a particular graphic, its coordinates
must be modified.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Georg Hessma » Thu, 27 Feb 1992 23:28:11

>To Georg or anyone else who can help me.  I have set up Pas-Tex's dviprint to
>work to great degree with my Okidata 292 printer.  However, I can't seem to
>get it to properly skip large veritcal spaces on the page (e.g. from the
>top of the page to the first line of text or from the bottom of the page to
>the footer).  Vertical skipping that is less than a few dots seems to
>work fine.  Ideas?

Which resolution do your printer have?
Is the 'skip_str' in TeX:config/DVIprint.printers correct for your printer?
What do you mean with 'large'? Greater 255*'vertical resolution'?
What is exactly your problem? Does DVIprint make a to small, to great skip
or no skip?

Quote:>Also, Postscript has been an exercise in frustration.  As soon as I get the
>graphic placed where EPSF.TEX has placed a vbox for it, it disappears!
>Evidently in Show.dvi the page and the typeset blank space is placed after and
>over the top of the Postscript graphic.  Any remedies?  Is there any good
>way to tweak SpecialHost to place the Postscript origin at the point in the
>page where it is called rather than having it fix the origin at the bottom
>left corner?  As it is, each time I call a particular graphic, its coordinates
>must be modified.

Sorry, I'm really no Postscript expert and I have many problems with post.
I've realized the problem with disappearing graphics too, but I don't
know, why post don't draw pictures sometimes.
May be I should write the author of post a letter.
Too bad, that he doesn't have an email address (?).

Where are the post(script) experts??

        Georg.

--

1. Postscript printing problems

I tried using the Lila program last night to generate a postscript output
file from a simple text file.  It worked fine and generated a file that
looked like wonderful postscript.

I then copied the file to an MS-DOS disk using CrossDOS (no filtering or
anything) and brought it to a PC.  From there I copied the file directly to
a postscript printer.

The printer light blinked for a little while and then stopped, nothing
printed at all...

I have done this with Publisher Plus also (it has a postscript >> disk
option) and have had the same results - nothing ever seems to print.

Are all these programs generating postscript code which is incompatable
with Apple LaserWriter II's, PSJet's and NEC LC890's?  I have not yet tried
these files with the HP LaserJet III with an Adobe postscript cartridge,
but I can't see it working there either...

Do I need to use filtering to convert the LF's to CR/LF's before sending
the stuff to the PC?  Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka                               INCSTAR Corp           \
| Applications Project Leader                   1990 Industrial Blvd   |

\ 612/779-1701                                  Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

2. DEPCA LC and Novell ODI

3. printing to a Postscript HP LJIIP

4. fig2dev under Windows NT 4.0?

5. Postscript File Print

6. Deleting Files

7. Postscript driver for Lexmark R+ Optra(IBM 4049)Postscript Printer

8. TCL core without floating point for an embedded system running a commercial RTOS (VxWorks, ... ) ?

9. Print to a PC print driver?

10. PRINTING Prob: I've never printed yet...

11. PasTeX Problems!!

12. PasTeX and BJ/BJC printers

13. Pastex vs. tex and where?