Putting CDROM/HD sideways?

Post by Chriz Sh » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Is it bad if I put my harddrives and CD ROM drives and floppy drives
sideways?

Putting CDROM/HD sideways?

Post by and » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it bad if I put my harddrives and CD ROM drives and floppy drives
>sideways?

Doesn't really make too mch of a difference!  Many clone PC cases have the
floppy drive bays on their sides so you are okay there, with CD-ROM drives you
need to make sure that it is the type with the raised ring in the middle or
your CDs will drop out when you open it :-)

I have never seen a clone with Hardrives mounted on their side, so I wouldn't
recommend it... maybe a call to seagte etc. would answer the question..

Incidentally, why?  Are you thinking of having your desktopmachine on its
side?

Good luck

Andy

--
+---------------------------------====#====-----------------------------+
|              Andy Savage - Amiga Multimedia Programmer                |

Putting CDROM/HD sideways?

Post by Frank Nikolajs » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it bad if I put my harddrives and CD ROM drives and floppy drives
>sideways?

 No, I've done this for years, my A2000 is trying to imitate a little tower
case on the floor. Seriously: All modern HD's doesn't care how they are mounted
as long as they are firmly mounted, * bands not allowed :-). I've just
installed an IBM HD and therefore studied the manual very closely, it says:
"Mounting position: Any". I've also been running my older Quantum drives
upside down, up and sideways with no problems.
  CD-ROM drives are another matter. If they aren't explicitly equipped with
means to hold the CD when in an upright position, don't try it. My internal
Toshiba XM5301B has some small tabs in the drawer that can hold the CD while
opening and closing the drawer and the manual explains what and how to do if
the drive is sideways. You will have to check each drive type individually.
  Ordinary floppy disk drives doesn't care how they are mounted. A friend of
mine used to have his original external A1000 disk drive mounted with the
opening facing down!? when using it in a very elaborate automatic PD disk
copying machine. It changed and sorted the disks automatically with an
unmodified drive, you have to see it in operation to believe it. Well, that's
another story...

  Hope this helps...

      Frank.
| Frank Nikolajsen,  Aarhus University, Denmark.         |

Putting CDROM/HD sideways?

Post by Jaco Schoon » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >Is it bad if I put my harddrives and CD ROM drives and floppy drives
: >sideways?

: Doesn't really make too mch of a difference!  Many clone PC cases have the
: floppy drive bays on their sides so you are okay there, with CD-ROM drives you
: need to make sure that it is the type with the raised ring in the middle or
: your CDs will drop out when you open it :-)

My Toshiba-cd-rom drive says it can be put on it's side. It has some clips
you hold the CD. Quite cool, unfortunately I have it horizontally, so I
don't really need it. Major advantage of those Toshiba-drives is that they
are about half an inch shorter than usual cd-rom drives. Now I was able to
squeeze it in my 4000 (Had to turn one of my HD's up side down, because the
acbles wouldn't fit otherwise) Now we're at it: This won't do any harm will
it?

About HD's: I suddenly remember that my GVP HC controller had a harddisk
mounted on it. In the 2000 this caused the HD to be on it's side. Never had
any trouble with it!

--
Jaco Schoonen

Putting CDROM/HD sideways?

Post by and » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: >Is it bad if I put my harddrives and CD ROM drives and floppy drives
>: >sideways?
>: Doesn't really make too mch of a difference!  Many clone PC cases have the
>: floppy drive bays on their sides so you are okay there, with CD-ROM drives
>: you need to make sure that it is the type with the raised ring in the
>: middle or your CDs will drop out when you open it :-)
>My Toshiba-cd-rom drive says it can be put on it's side. It has some clips
>you hold the CD. Quite cool, unfortunately I have it horizontally, so I
>don't really need it. Major advantage of those Toshiba-drives is that they
>are about half an inch shorter than usual cd-rom drives. Now I was able to
>squeeze it in my 4000 (Had to turn one of my HD's up side down, because the
>acbles wouldn't fit otherwise) Now we're at it: This won't do any harm will
>it?

Nah, most modern drives should be okay...

Quote:>About HD's: I suddenly remember that my GVP HC controller had a harddisk
>mounted on it. In the 2000 this caused the HD to be on it's side. Never had
>any trouble with it!

Ahhhh, I remember those ;-)  They're fine...

--
+---------------------------------====#====-----------------------------+
|              Andy Savage - Amiga Multimedia Programmer                |
|   Amiga, Drumming, Eastenders, Hamster, Tarantino and Worms fanatic   |
+---------------------------------====#====-----------------------------+

1. FS: Tandem IDE CDROM & HD controller, 2* IDE CDROM, 210 IDE HD

Hi Everyone,  I have the following for sale.  Prices are written in both US and CDN
funds,  payment may be made in either currency.  Please excuse my terrible spelling.

AMIGA 3000/030 10 MEGS 3.1
========================

Amiga 3000/030 10 megs RAM (8 megs fast, 2 megs chip), Kickstart/Workbench 3.1,
52 meg Quantum Hard Drive w keyboard, mouse, setup disks & oridginal man's & pack-
aging. Also comes with an A500 MB loaded with most of it's chips for spairs (ex Paula,
Gary) & spair mouse. Excellent condition.

$475 US      ***Probably Sold***
$645 CDN     ***Probably Sold***

EXTERNAL SCSI CASE
===================

External 5 1/4" SCSI case,  with built in pwr supply &  internal to external SCSI con-
verter. Has passthrough and comes with resitor termination pack aswell as SCSI &
PWR cables. Excellent condition.  Will also house 3 1/2" drives with a bracket.  Very
compact smart looking white case.

$35 US      ***Probably Sold***
$45 CDN     ***Probably Sold***

IDE CD-ROM, HD & SYQUEST CONTROLLER
=====================================

Tandem IDE CD-ROM,  HD Controller & SyQuest Drive Controller.  Zorro II/III Card for
an Amiga 4000(T)/3000(T)/2000/2500/1500 or Amiga with zorro expansion unit.  Use
inexpensive and easy to find IDE HD's, CD-ROM Drives & SyQuest Drives.  Comes with
original packaging,  manualls, software & cables.  Also Comes with 2 Amiga CD-ROMS
packed with Demo Games,  PD Demo's, Animations & Games.  Works great with bel-
low.

$70 US
$95 CDN

INTERNAL 2X CDROM
==================

Mitsumi Internal caddyless 2X CDROM great for use with Tandem controller,  suitable
IDE controller or Soundcard. Also comes with IDE Cable.

$35 US
$45 CDN

210 MEG 3 1/2" LOW PROFILE IDE HARD DRIVE
=======================================

Conner 210 meg 3 1/2" low profile IDE Hard drive w IDE Cable. Excellent condition (no
errors etc).

$65 US
$85 CDN

Please DON'T REPLY HERE.  Open to offers or trades,  inperticually a 17" monitor,
PAR board (w IV24),  040,060 A4000 acellerator (SCSI controller & I/O card),  Simm
memory,  & Hard Drives.

2. star wars galaxies?

3. put cdrom on warpscsi bus and I get a guru when I poll for it

4. Free IBM System/36 with Terminals and Peripherals

5. FS: Amiga 3000-SCSI Case-Tandem IDE CDROM controller-2*CDROM-210meg HD

6. [ and [[ in $$Return fields

7. Thanks Re: Can I put IDE HD in my A3000?

8. Schneier's Cryptogram newsletter

9. Putting bigger HD in A590

10. NEED help on putting 2nd SCSI HD in A3000

11. Can I put a HD floppy in my A2000 ?

12. Where to put second HD in 2000's case??

13. Putting an IBM HD controler in Amiga