Hard drive woes - mysteriously corrupt files (HELP!)

Hard drive woes - mysteriously corrupt files (HELP!)

Post by David V Feldm » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I just discovered that for the last year a certain
percentage of files I copy to my hard drive have
a few corrupt lines.  The corruption always takes
the form of characters overcopied with the string

ecc84x4203474x357

repeating over and over.

I have a Blizzard 2060 running in my old A2500,
and the drive in question is a 4 GIG Micropolis 3243.

The problem only affects this drive (my boot drive)
and not my other drives on the scsi chain.

I have pinpointed the oldest file on the disk with
this corruption, and it looks like it started when
I installed the Blizzard and Amiga-DOS3.1, though
I need to double check this.

So far I'm reasoning that if the COPY command were
corrupt (bad ROM, bad distribution floppy) I'd
find the corruption on all the disks, not just
the boot disk (which has 5 partitions, all infected).

So perhaps the problem comes from the way this
drive is configured?

Any hints??  Please!

David Feldman

P.S.  Though hundreds of files are somewhat corrupt,
the data loss is a relatively minor nuissance compared
to my loss of confidence in the drive.  Any workarounds
until I solve the problem completely?

Hard drive woes - mysteriously corrupt files (HELP!)

Post by Martin Bertelsman » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi David,

> I just discovered that for the last year a certain
> percentage of files I copy to my hard drive have
> a few corrupt lines.  The corruption always takes
> the form of characters overcopied with the string

> ecc84x4203474x357

Hm, is this hex value or ascii? I discovered Problems like that on an
a500 with a mtec 030 turbo board, where he corrupts files writing "DOS
DOS DOS"(ascii) to them. This was due to a DMA problem which was also
mentioned in the manual of the turbo board. Setting the MASK to 4FFFFE
instead of FFFFFFE solved the problem.

Quote:> repeating over and over.

> I have a Blizzard 2060 running in my old A2500,
> and the drive in question is a 4 GIG Micropolis 3243.

Are you sure that no partition is larger than 2GB and the maximum amount
of the drive you use is lower than 4GB (e.g. is hdtoolbox still showing
a negative drive size or does is say you have a 30MB drive? If its the
last one, install the 64bit drivers or kill the last few MBs)

Quote:> The problem only affects this drive (my boot drive)
> and not my other drives on the scsi chain.

Hm - this is interesting. DMA problems should occur on all drives ...
Did you check out that the latest (non-beta) (flash)ROMs are installed
in the SCSI-Controller and turbo board?

Quote:> I have pinpointed the oldest file on the disk with
> this corruption, and it looks like it started when
> I installed the Blizzard and Amiga-DOS3.1, though
> I need to double check this.

Well, its probably not due to the 3.1 rom...

Quote:> So far I'm reasoning that if the COPY command were
> corrupt (bad ROM, bad distribution floppy) I'd
> find the corruption on all the disks, not just
> the boot disk (which has 5 partitions, all infected).

> So perhaps the problem comes from the way this
> drive is configured?

> Any hints??  Please!

> David Feldman

> P.S.  Though hundreds of files are somewhat corrupt,
> the data loss is a relatively minor nuissance compared
> to my loss of confidence in the drive.  Any workarounds
> until I solve the problem completely?

Ciao

Martin

--
          __
  Amiga  ///   |  Martin Bertelsmann           |  A4000T, 38MB RAM

   __  ///     |                               |  *Vision 64, 4MB
   \\\///      |  Check out my Homepage at     |  Ariadne, CD-Changer
    \XX/       |  http://www.veryComputer.com/;  |  8GB HDDs, 640MB MO

Hard drive woes - mysteriously corrupt files (HELP!)

Post by Gene Hesket » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Martin Bertelsmann;

>Hi David,

>> I just discovered that for the last year a certain
>> percentage of files I copy to my hard drive have
>> a few corrupt lines.  The corruption always takes
>> the form of characters overcopied with the string

>> ecc84x4203474x357
>Hm, is this hex value or ascii? I discovered Problems like that on an

I hate to point this out, but those two 'x's in that string aren't hex!
[snip the rest, which does contain good advice BTW]

The other gent mentioned the mask, which may be a factor, but I'd tend
to snoop into the maxtransfer size, particularly since that 060 can copy
to a scsi port on its own buss at a very high rate, possibly overrunning
the cache on the drive before the drive can stop it.  Fixes for that are
to look up the drives cache size, and set the maxtransfer to a sector
less than that.  A 128k cache should have a maxtransfer setting of
0x1fe00 _if_ thats going to be a problem.  If that fixes it, clean out a
small partition so you know it on the first file you copy, and raise it
in 2x size increments until the file doesn't survive, just on that
partition.  Do the copy from ram as it should be the fastest.  Don't
forget to reboot for each maxtransfer adjustment.

Cheers, Gene
--
     I'm a Bovine Team key (rc5-64 bit) cruncher, are you?  Why not?
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 34 megs fast/2 megs chip

--

Post by Sinisa Loli » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> On 23-Jan-98   05:59:19, David V Feldman said: <

 DVF> I just discovered that for the last year a certain
 DVF> percentage of files I copy to my hard drive have
 DVF> a few corrupt lines.  The corruption always takes
 DVF> the form of characters overcopied with the string

 DVF> ecc84x4203474x357

 DVF> repeating over and over.

Virus?

Vegi XXX

Post by Martin Bertelsman » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Martin Bertelsmann;

> >Hi David,

> >> I just discovered that for the last year a certain
> >> percentage of files I copy to my hard drive have
> >> a few corrupt lines.  The corruption always takes
> >> the form of characters overcopied with the string

> >> ecc84x4203474x357

> >Hm, is this hex value or ascii? I discovered Problems like that on an

> I hate to point this out, but those two 'x's in that string aren't hex!
> [snip the rest, which does contain good advice BTW]

Oh well, perhaps i should get myself a pair of glasses or get at least
more sleep. ;)

Quote:> Cheers, Gene

Ciao

Martin

--
          __
  Amiga  ///   |  Martin Bertelsmann           |  A4000T, 38MB RAM

   __  ///     |                               |  *Vision 64, 4MB
   \\\///      |  Check out my Homepage at     |  Ariadne, CD-Changer
    \XX/       |  http://www.veryComputer.com/;  |  8GB HDDs, 640MB MO

1. HELP: Hard Drives Writes Corrupt Files

After an embarassing incident where I singed one of my CIA chips, I
replaced them from an old A500. Now, every file I write to my hard drive
is corrupt. I can't write text, graphics, or anything. It's very
annoying. Everything worked fine before I replaced the chips. Any other
ideas? The rest of the machine is working fine.

Dan
AMIGAphile

2. Excel for the mac

3. HELP ME! - Mac Hard Drive corrupt!

4. Max ADSL lines in a 25 pair bundle

5. HELP: Hard Drive Writes Corrupt

6. Is Lou Marcoccio dating Pollyanna?

7. Help please! Hard drive woes

8. Drawing an ActiveX Control to another place

9. HELP, PLEASE!!! .... Hard Drive Woes

10. Hard drive woes A3000 Help

11. HELP: Amiga Writes Corrupted Files

12. HELP! New hard drive mangled files!

13. hard drive corrupted -- problem with key #foo