DICE, GCC, or SAS/C ??

Post by Brian Patrick L » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 00:01:05

If anyone has used all three, please post a comparison summary.
I'm trying to figure out which will be most useful for learning C.
On-line help would be a nice feature.
--

PGP Key available.  Opinions stated are personal.

DICE, GCC, or SAS/C ??

Post by Matthias Meixn » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 01:17:23

: If anyone has used all three, please post a comparison summary.
: I'm trying to figure out which will be most useful for learning C.
: On-line help would be a nice feature.

DICE and gcc don't have a source level de*, which is of great use
for finding bugs in your program.
Gcc generates very good code, but needs lots of memory. It is difficult to
create libraries with it or function that should be called within interrupts.
SAS/C generates quite good code and allows the easy generation of shared
libraries.

However gcc can be found on many ftp sites and a demoversion of Dice can be
found there too (when my informations are right). So you could try them and
if they don't suit your needs you might go for SAS.

BTW: Students can get SAS/C for the cheaper amount for an update (at least
     here in europe)

: --

: PGP Key available.  Opinions stated are personal.

--

- Matthias Meixner

    main(){long a=2,b=1;for(;a<1e2;a%b--||(b=a++))b-1||printf("%d",a);}

DICE, GCC, or SAS/C ??

Post by Michael B. Smi » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 16:25:50

> : If anyone has used all three, please post a comparison summary.
> : I'm trying to figure out which will be most useful for learning C.
> : On-line help would be a nice feature.

> DICE and gcc don't have a source level de*, which is of great use
> for finding bugs in your program.

DICE Commercial (now available) has a source level de*.

Quote:> Gcc generates very good code, but needs lots of memory. It is difficult to
> create libraries with it or function that should be called within interrupts.

If you follow the rules (carefully!) you can create libraries with GCC without
a lot of problems.

Quote:> SAS/C generates quite good code and allows the easy generation of shared
> libraries.

As does DICE Commercial. DICE does not have the optimization capabilities that
SAS/C has.
--
  //   Michael B. Smith

1. GCC vs DICE vs SAS C

Could someone post a side by side comparison between the 3 major C compilers?

Thanks.

Dennis Grant                  Amiga 4000/030/6/120/40Mhz '882/IDEK 17" monitor

Charlottetown, PEI, Canada    There ain't no replacement for cubic displacement

2. Action Names- saving icons after a hard reset

3. SAS/DICE/GCC Object/Link Library Conversions

4. Price on Zilog DSP

5. gcc vs Dice ?

6. GCC/Dice

7. Source level debugger for DICE or gcc

8. Question about GCC and DICE?

9. DICE vs GCC

10. Anyone Port CBM example IFF code (Fish #674) to DICE or GCC?