The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

Post by Michael Carrill » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi everyone!

I have just read the CUCUG Amiga News page posting of
the 3rd of May, with regards to the IRC chat featuring Joe Torre,
Derreck Lisle & others.
 (thank you  Par Johnsonn for the original transcript)

I must say that I'm now much more positive that there will be an
announcement at WoA '98. Not only that but by the looks of it,
it promises to be a breath taking announcement.

Let's hope so, perhaps now  Amiga users can finally dare to hope
that all our years in the wilderness as the "forgotten fanatics" is
coming to an end.

AND if by any small miracle, Gateway and AI/inc do pull it off
then and only then, will we finally know...
(please excuse my paraphrasing of an english football/soocer song)

"8 years of hurt never stopped us dreaming,
It's coming home, it's coming home,
the Amiga is coming home"

But please make up your own minds, have a look at the Amiga Web
directory and judge for yourselves.

As for me I either have to go and see a shrink about my e*ment,
over a computer  or I carry on as a very SAD person  ;-)

Only 13 days and 55 minutes to go until WOA'98

Regards

Mikey C
(Who has probably lost the plot)

member

                          Team AMIGA

The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

Post by Casey R Willia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> Hi everyone!

> I have just read the CUCUG Amiga News page posting of
> the 3rd of May, with regards to the IRC chat featuring Joe Torre,
> Derreck Lisle & others.
>  (thank you  Par Johnsonn for the original transcript)

> I must say that I'm now much more positive that there will be an
> announcement at WoA '98. Not only that but by the looks of it,
> it promises to be a breath taking announcement.

> Let's hope so, perhaps now  Amiga users can finally dare to hope
> that all our years in the wilderness as the "forgotten fanatics" is
> coming to an end.

> AND if by any small miracle, Gateway and AI/inc do pull it off
> then and only then, will we finally know...
> (please excuse my paraphrasing of an english football/soocer song)

> "8 years of hurt never stopped us dreaming,
> It's coming home, it's coming home,
> the Amiga is coming home"

> But please make up your own minds, have a look at the Amiga Web
> directory and judge for yourselves.

> As for me I either have to go and see a shrink about my e*ment,
> over a computer  or I carry on as a very SAD person  ;-)

> Only 13 days and 55 minutes to go until WOA'98

> Regards

> Mikey C
> (Who has probably lost the plot)

Before all of the naysayers jump in and try to say it's the same B.S.
all over again, I'd like to say I feel the same way.  I never expected
much from them as I figured in the past that there was not enough time
to have done anything worthwhile.  Now, almost exactly a year later, it
looks to me like something will finally happen.  Maybe my "prediction"
will turn out to be correct and that GW is partnering with Jeff Minter's
VMLabs to base the next Amiga around "Project X"?  It would coincide
almost with the revealing of "Project X"'s mystery partners and strategy
at the upcoming E3...  Nah, couldn't be.

etherius

The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

Post by paul ma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Before all of the naysayers jump in and try to say it's the same B.S.
>all over again, I'd like to say I feel the same way.  I never expected
>much from them as I figured in the past that there was not enough time
>to have done anything worthwhile.  Now, almost exactly a year later, it
>looks to me like something will finally happen.  Maybe my "prediction"
>will turn out to be correct and that GW is partnering with Jeff Minter's
>VMLabs to base the next Amiga around "Project X"?  It would coincide
>almost with the revealing of "Project X"'s mystery partners and strategy
>at the upcoming E3...  Nah, couldn't be.

Sorry you've lost me !!

What's Project X ?
what relevence will it have on the Amiga ?.

Post by Mark Howso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >VMLabs to base the next Amiga around "Project X"?  It would coincide
> >almost with the revealing of "Project X"'s mystery partners and strategy
> >at the upcoming E3...  Nah, couldn't be.

> What's Project X ?

A 'new' secret console, akin to the Playstation, N64, etc. It's supposed
to be rather powerful, but no-one knows anything.

Quote:> what relevence will it have on the Amiga ?.

Little :)

Mark

The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

Post by Andrew Ko » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> looks to me like something will finally happen.  Maybe my "prediction"
> will turn out to be correct and that GW is partnering with Jeff Minter's
> VMLabs to base the next Amiga around "Project X"?  It would coincide
> almost with the revealing of "Project X"'s mystery partners and strategy
> at the upcoming E3...  Nah, couldn't be.

> etherius

Could be good couldn't it? I don't think it is going to happen though. I
mentioned this very possibility to Joe Torre some months back and he hadn't
heard of Project X, so unless they have moved very fast on this...

Andrew Korn, CU Amiga Magazine

The Future is Bright, The future's AMIGA

Post by Michael Carrill » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Thorsten Wrote

> *ROTFL*

> In former times Amiga users were announcement-*ed, but now
> they even get hot and write fanatic articles whenever they get to
> know about the _possibility_ of an upcoming announcement...

>       Windows 98 - "Moving right along..."

No actually i'm the one doing ROTFL,

After all I use an Amiga you're using a very buggy, overpriced piece
of memory consuming shite that passes of as an 'operating system'
Yes you've guessed it. It's windows '98 which even breaksdown on
it's poor master in public.

And while we're at it don't you feel the least bit ashamed at using
a product which MR gates claims to be 'innovative' when we all know
that MS have ripped of the the MAC OS to pieces and to a certain
degree, the Mac ripped of the AMIGA.

Besides, I'm not getting e*d about the prospect of an
announcement.

I know there WILL be an announcement.

See you later Loser,

Regards,

Mikey C

member
                                Team AMIGA

BTW before you respond back please note that I have a PC at work
running Win'95, I have a MAC emulator on my Miggy and sold my very
early 486 for my currrent Amiga. So yes I do know what I'm talking
about

Post by John Kel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> In former times Amiga users were announcement-*ed, but now
> they even get hot and write fanatic articles whenever they get to
> know about the _possibility_ of an upcoming announcement...

> Is that some kind of a satire?

 Yes, and the joke's on you; 11 days, mofo.

   Net-Viking  ]:|     | darkness, 'till it bleeds daylight ... |      Net!

Post by Ben Hutching » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> >VMLabs to base the next Amiga around "Project X"?  It would coincide
>> >almost with the revealing of "Project X"'s mystery partners and strategy
>> >at the upcoming E3...  Nah, couldn't be.

>> What's Project X ?

>A 'new' secret console, akin to the Playstation, N64, etc. It's supposed
>to be rather powerful, but no-one knows anything.

<snip>

Yes they do.  Jeff Minter <URL:http://www.magicnet.net/~yak/> is
involved.  So we know it should be cool, if it ever gets to release.
Unfortunately that's not enough.

--
Ben Hutchings -- should be revising | Jay Miner Society: http://www.jms.org/

For every complex problem there is a
solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Post by Mike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hmmmm... I suggest *you* get a better newsreader before making >presumptions about the OS Thorsten is using...

> Do you know who he is?  He wrote FFNews... an *AMIGA* newsreader... sheesh...  and guess what?  He *posted* this message from an Amiga > running FFNews...

I don't care if he was sitting on Petro's lap when he posted it
and he could have written AmigaOS for all I care!

Basically he was too negative for my liking. (my opinion
-not yours after all this is what the newsgroups are for -
discusion and opinions)

You are entitled to your opinion but mine is that I am sick &
tired of these so called "Amiga users" who claim to support the
platform and then slag it off.

Sure, I've been depressed about the Amiga`s situation like everyone
else. But I do know that the announcement will be made (I had an email
exchange with Mr Schlinder - sorry can't say more than that, no I don't
know what it contains just that I know it WILL happen)

Anyhow you have probably seen the official Press release by
Derreck Lisle by now so you can go and do what you like.

IT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!

Cheer up you miserable *s! Maybe, just Maybe, we will all
have something to SMILE and Sing about very soon, so please
cut out the negative postings until at least after the announcement.

Let us hope for the good!!!

And as for all those EX AMIGA ***** and PC Owners - Only two more
weeks for you guys to crow about.

AMIGA IS BACK FOR THE FUTURE!!!

Regards

Mikey C
                Team AMIGA

--
The views expressed here are entirely my own and not my Employers

1. The future's bright, the future's Havemose!!! (AF interview)

For anybody who hasn't read the interview in AF then I'm providing a
summary of what I feel are the most important points raised in the
article. Please note that I take no responsibility for anything! If I've
misread stuff and passed it on to you then tough! ;)

Point Number 1 - Amiga Inc are not deserting the home computer market.
When asked about the new Amiga's, Dr Havemose said that it is likely
that there will be an A1200 style-computer.

Point Number 2 - He also expects A4000-style workstations. He also said
that "Our technology is also well suited to the next-generation of games
machines and set-top-box's". Which leads me to believe that one of the
nest-generation consoles will be running AmigaOS-5. Weather that be
PLaystationII, Nintendo's next machine, or something else remains to be
seen.

Point Number 3 - QNX's kernel isn't the only part of QNX to be used by
AmigaOS-5. As well as the kernel, device drivers, virtual memory, TCP/IP
stack etc will all be taken from QNX.

"Amiga Inc will concentrate on multimedia, 3D graphics,.mpg, gaming
interfaces, digital convergence API's, preferences and user interfaces.
Amiga Inc will develop everything that a typical user will come into
contact with, while QNX provide much of the underlying operating system
technology"

Point Number 4 - The developers machines will be Intel boxs running OS-5
and it's development tools. Windows will *NOT* be required. The whole
development will be possible under Amiga OS-5 and no other operating
system will be required on the development machine.

Point Number 5 - Classic Amiga software should be easy to port and the
developers tools will be aware that many applications will be ports
"Most well-written [Classic Amiga] applications should port easily, but
to get all the benefits of the new architecture [developers] will want
to take advantage of the new API's. We'll offer significantly better
development tools than are currently available for the Classic Amiga,
which should aid transition"

Point Number 6 - The New Amiga will have some form of backward
compatibility with OS 3.5. This is mainly guess-work on my part. Dr
Havemose said "For the development system, we're investigating either a
'Classic Amiga PCI card' or a 'Classic Amiga Emulator'. It is my guess
that an emulator will be used, and this will also come as part of the
AmigaNG's software package. Although this will possibly be omitted from
certain machines running Amiga OS5 (such as the games-console, should it
be developed by Sony, Nintendo etc).

If you haven't already got AF and read the interview I urge you too.
It's the most solid info on the New Amiga's yet and shows a lot of
promise. It's certainly brought a smile to my face! :)
--
Lion

Enter the Lion's den!!! - This months rant: Being Broke!!!!!!
http://www.fluidcontrol.demon.co.uk/lion

reply.

2. Need help on reformatting

3. I am truly sorry that I am not as bright as most others...

4. Execution Order of SQL Query

5. AmigaOS V4 - The future AmigaOS - Visions of future times ...

6. This might have been asked a 1000 times but IBM-drives?

7. Amiga Future (was Re: CPU speeds and 'banging the hardware')

8. Overloaded func addr in cast

9. Amiga's Future (was Re: PC's are awful (sometimes)

10. CBM Discusses Future Am.

11. 'Vision of Future' project ....

12. I've Seen The Future, And It's 3D0

13. Atari and Amiga'a future