zip drive problem

Post by Walter Delor » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

** To reply in e-mail, remove "hullof." and ".invalid" from address **

Changed zip drive from one scsi port to another & probally
screwed up zip via hdtools.
Now I get a weird name for my zip disks and can't access important
data on disks.
Hard drive too small to transfer files to hd from zip via disksalv.
Totally lost - any suggestions how to get my files back.
walt

--

zip drive problem

Post by Tim Seifer » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Walter,

Quote:> Changed zip drive from one scsi port to another & probally
> screwed up zip via hdtools.
> Now I get a weird name for my zip disks and can't access important
> data on disks.
> Hard drive too small to transfer files to hd from zip via disksalv.
> Totally lost - any suggestions how to get my files back.
> walt

This little trick often works:  If you can't sort out what is wrong with
reading a disk, without destroying the data, insert another disk that is
readable, or a new one that you don't mind re-formatting.  Now if you
can use this disk, remove it, and put in the one you really wanted to
use.

Once the Amiga has worked out how to use a Zip disk (by reading one
successfully), it'll usually deal with the next one in the same way.
This, of course, relies on them being formatted in the same manner.

For the same reason, it's best to always format your Zip disks in the
same manner as each other.  Else you'll most likely need to reboot
between disks.

This trick is most effective, if the disk that you're using to recover
things with, has a rigid disk block (RDB - i.e. it is formatted as a
hard drive).

I have all my Zip disks formatted with RDBs (with a single partition
only), as this eliminates the troubles of using mountlists, and means I
can use my Zip disks on any other Amiga, if their Amiga's SCSI host uses
RDBs properly (if it doesn't, I have to use a mountlist - which still
can be done with RDB'd Zip disks).

Once you've got your data back, and are in a position to experiment
without worry.  Have a look at your mountlists, if you're using them, or
the RDB setup, and see what SCSI device you have set for your disk, and
what SCSI address too.  Changing these to suit the current connection of
your drive is probably all that needs doing.

Bye,
Tim.

--

http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/tim_seifert

(Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia)

Video productions, electronics engineering, service and technical
support, and more.  For further information, visit the web site.

*** Do not send junk mail ***

1. scsi ZIP Drive Problem

Hi

My friends has a problem copying big archives to his ZiP Drive, anything
over 5 digits and it freezers and invailidates the cart ?

He's running it on a A1200T SurfSqurriel Blizzard060 system.

Any help please.

2. lost link to cheap strongarm board

3. ZIP drive problem

4. sending mail to mailing lists

5. Zip Drive Problems

6. Where is the genuine return for the user Fleecy.

7. ZIP drive problem

8. Copy Problems with HP 7550

9. ** ZIP drive problems, PLEASE help **

10. ZIP drive problems

11. installing ZIP drive problem

12. ** ZIP drive problems, PLEASE help **