Beginner needs programming info...

Post by Elof: Amiga Advoca » Fri, 20 May 1994 09:40:35

I am just about to start learning to program my Amiga.  I am not a
complete programming beginner, as I have learned Fortran (yuk) as part of my
course.  I am looking at a number of alternatives...  I would appreciate
some advice.
I have an A4000/030 with 6 Meg RAM.

Are there any programming tutorials on aminet?  For which languages?
Is gcc any good? Would it be usable with 6 meg RAM?  Is it any use for
amiga-specific stuff?  What about AmigaE?
Commercial stuff: is Blitz Basic 2 any good?  What about Hisoft Basic 2?
I would ultimately like to write a game, would it be better to stick to
something like Blitz, or go for a more generally useful language?

Thank you for your time,

Paul.

Beginner needs programming info...

Post by Mat Ha » Sat, 21 May 1994 00:23:16

Quote:>I am just about to start learning to program my Amiga.  I am not a
>complete programming beginner, as I have learned Fortran (yuk) as part of my

Hey!  I wrote a MUD in Fortran...  It's amazing what you can do when
you're bored stiff!

Quote:>course.  I am looking at a number of alternatives...  I would appreciate
>some advice.
>I have an A4000/030 with 6 Meg RAM.

>Are there any programming tutorials on aminet?  For which languages?
>Is gcc any good? Would it be usable with 6 meg RAM?  Is it any use for
>amiga-specific stuff?  What about AmigaE?

GCC is ok, but it's C which is a bit of a handicap...  :)  C isn't all
that much cop for games (although DOOM was written in C, but it's *so
who cares?) really, but it's ideal for app writing...

Quote:>Commercial stuff: is Blitz Basic 2 any good?  What about Hisoft Basic 2?
>I would ultimately like to write a game, would it be better to stick to
>something like Blitz, or go for a more generally useful language?

Well, if you want ease of use combined with power and flexibility, go with
Blitz 2 - it's great for games (although not as good as assembler, but
that's a * to learn) and it's not half bad for other stuff, as it
supports Intuition nicely.  If, however, you have a lot of time on your
hands, try assembly - the end results will be nicer, but it'll take
longer to learn.

Quote:>Thank you for your time,

>Paul.

   10  Format (a,$)
   20  Continue
         Write (6,10) 'Fortran is GREAT! '
       Goto 20
       Stop
       End

--
"It's the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on
 a sticky bun..."

Post by Niels M|ll » Sun, 22 May 1994 00:56:45

Quote:(Elof: Amiga Advocate) writes:

   I am just about to start learning to program my Amiga.  I am not a
   complete programming beginner, as I have learned Fortran (yuk) as
   part of my course.  I am looking at a number of alternatives...  I
   would appreciate some advice.  I have an A4000/030 with 6 Meg RAM.

   Are there any programming tutorials on aminet?  For which
   languages?  Is gcc any good? Would it be usable with 6 meg RAM?  Is
   it any use for amiga-specific stuff?  What about AmigaE?
   Commercial stuff: is Blitz Basic 2 any good?  What about Hisoft
   Basic 2?  I would ultimately like to write a game, would it be
   better to stick to something like Blitz, or go for a more generally
   useful language?

With your setup, I would recommend gcc. It's free, it generates code
of similar quality as SAS/C. I have not tried games programming, but
gcc could do the job, but you then probably don't link with the
standard libraries. A disadvantage with gcc is that it does not
include C='s include files (they are not freely distributable).

/Niels M|ller

Beginner needs programming info...

Post by Thomas Dud » Mon, 23 May 1994 15:49:25

The main difficulty with gcc is that it requires *much* more RAM than SAS C.
At a minimum, 4 megs are suggested for gcc, while SAS will compile any number
of modules into a working executable with just 2 megs.

BTW, a module is a piece of the complete program. C programmers generally
create one module for each type of action they want their program to take.
For example, there would be one module for disk I/O, another for text
input and/or display, and so on. All modules are eventually linked together
into the final program.

For either gcc or SAS C, a good size hard drive is indispensible. As a rule
of thumb, the bigger, the better.

Hope this helps.

Tom

1. HELP: Need Beginner info on X11 'GUI' on Amiga!

Ok.. it is my unserstnading that X-win apps (or X11?) can be run using
Amiga intuition? (or is this wrong?)

I have found what looks like a FAQ but it is written for people that are
already familiar with all the various software...  is there a
REAL-X11/Xwin BEGINNER verison?

 Email please!

 Thanx

Tom D Tek   7Bu)

 /  Thomas W. Weeks           |        __  Commodore Amiga 500/030 40MHz    \
|   Authorized C= Technician  |       ///  Hacked Into Black Tower Case,     |
|   Full Time Elec. Eng. Tech |  __  ///   5M RAM, SyQuest 44M, 160M SCSI    |
|   and Telecom Student       |  \\\///    IBM 286 Hardware Emulator,        |
|   Texas A&M University      |   \XX/     Home Brew Audio A/D, HP48GX       |
|         **EMAIL**           |"Amiga, The Computer for the Creative Mind"TM |

 \____________________________|_____________________________________________/

2. debugging mex files

3. Need info on programming A2410 H/W directly

4. Info on Switch-It! ??

5. A2232 Info needed (Programming)

6. DIVA extraction of 2-terminal MOS

7. Need LightGun Programming info.

8. NT port of Ptolemy

9. Need short info and egzample how to program Amiga printer port

10. Amiga programming info needed...

11. MMU Programming info needed

12. Need Help/Info on Amiga Programming?

13. Need info on CBM's installer program