HDD SCA/LVD

Post by hav.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

--

Am considering purchase of a large SCSI hard drive.  I've seen SCA and LVD
in the description of some drives.  Can someone define these and are they

TIA

Harry

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Marcel DeVo » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> --
> Am considering purchase of a large SCSI hard drive.  I've seen SCA and LVD
> in the description of some drives.  Can someone define these and are they
> Amiga compatible, that is, with the A4K and the Spitfire SCSI card?

I too would like to obtain an ultra large SCSI drive (9 gigs or better)
without paying too much more than the IDE counterpart but in
the 50 pin catagory, but not sure about those designations either.

--

A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Marcel DeVo » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> on 16-Feb-00 07:35:44, in comp.sys.amiga.hardware:
>> I too would like to obtain an ultra large SCSI drive (9 gigs or better)
> 9GB isn't ultra large, 36 starts to be ;)

True, if you're speaking about using it on a PC.

9 gigs seems "ultra" to me on my Amiga. :-)

But I'm not sure if you can get drives larger than 9 gig without having
to go to the 68 pins wide variety. Then you need an adaptor.

From what I've been reading about Phase5's boards with their wide SCSI bus
and trying to use them with 50 pin drives, the adaptors tend to be rather
expensive.

--

A4091scsi CV64 96 megs CDRW M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Duncan Milbur » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > 9GB isn't ultra large, 36 starts to be ;)

> True, if you're speaking about using it on a PC.

With Windows2000...

Quote:> 9 gigs seems "ultra" to me on my Amiga. :-)

I've only just ran out of space on my 540MB in my A1200 ;-)

Quote:> But I'm not sure if you can get drives larger than 9 gig without having
> to go to the 68 pins wide variety. Then you need an adaptor.

68-way is not necessarily SCA/LVD. My PC (AMD of course) has both 50 and
68-way connectors on its SCSI card and according to the manual, 68-way is
only used for Wide modes (incl. LVD I think). In a 50-way, you're left with
any of the Ultra modes IIRC.

Quote:> From what I've been reading about Phase5's boards with their wide SCSI bus
> and trying to use them with 50 pin drives, the adaptors tend to be rather
> expensive.

Can't really comment, but sounds suspiciously like they're trying to get
68->50 ?

As it seems that Phase5 have disappeared, are there any other companies that
do powerful (PPC) full-featured accelerators? I'm considering getting an
A4000 cos I don't think the keyboard connector on my A1200 would survive
another bashing (if I migrate to PowerTower or similar), would love something
with some real crunching power <sigh>

Duncan

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by phinea » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

In "comp.sys.amiga.hardware" noone can hear you scream,

[.....]

Quote:> Whew! It's that adaptor with the terminators that's expensive.

> BUT, my question is, can a 68 pin drive be adapted to a 50 pin controller?
> Does it need the extra 18 lines to pass data and so wouldn't work?

Sure it works.  I am running a 2.1gig WD Enterprise UW SCSI-3 drive via such
a 50->68 pin connector on my A4091 controller.

It does ~4.5MB/s on this '040/25 - but I am still looking forward to the
CS060+SCSI card I just bought.  Not just because of the speed, but because
the 4091 only works when my Delfina is not active...

The adaptor cost me ~15ukp from powerc.com - very friendly and efficient
they are too. :)

Quote:> If it did work, then I wouldn't think that the extra lines would need a
> special adaptor with terminators in it, and so should be cheaper?

I think the extra pins on mine are terminated.  The A4091 is terminated
(dip switch) and so is the only harddrive on it - it has active and power
jumpered.

Quote:> DCE has taken over production of Phase5's work and are supposed to be
> currently producing *Storm Mark III's and BVisions, and are going to
> produce their 060/PPC 603/604 combo boards also in the near future.

Great news, Marcel, I'm looking forward to those as soon as I get used to
the CS060's speed... :)

Quote:> As for the G4 boards, there are no plans.

Hmmm - I wasn't too impressed by p5's ideas for those anyway...

--
. :) :                                              ^     ^   \/        .
..|aul.................NOSPAM = relicworld........./-\MIG/-\ E/\ECology..

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Ville Joupp » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>--

That is something you should not use before your text.. I had to
manually paste your message below because my reader automatically
strips the signature. (And "-- " is the sig delimiter)

Quote:>Am considering purchase of a large SCSI hard drive.  I've seen SCA and LVD
>in the description of some drives.  Can someone define these and are they
>Amiga compatible, that is, with the A4K and the Spitfire SCSI card?

LVD is Low Voltage Differential, the general type of SCSI devices.

SCA is AFAIK wide SCSI but with a different, industrial 80-pin
connector that carries the power signals as well as the data. Most hot
swappable server disks have an SCA connector.

The Spitfire's narrow scsi isn't it? In that case I don't think
there's much sense in buying anything but normal narrow SCSI devices
to connect to it - unless of course you're planning on upgrading to a
wide controller later on.

Almost all SCSI devices are in some way compatible with each other,
you just need an adapter so the connectors match. Of course if you use
an ultra2wide disk on a SCSI-1 bus, you won't be able to enjoy the
speed or other features you'd get with an u2w controller.
--
    CBM, PEZ, and TI-calc nut, Scout, Glider pilot, Helpdesk-person

                  GSM: +358-40-5679999, IRCNet: Jope
    "I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Steve » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> But I'm not sure if you can get drives larger than 9 gig without having
>> to go to the 68 pins wide variety.
>I don't think you'll be able to find any SCSI II drives that size,
>you'll have to get an UW one.

FWIW, AFAIK, IBM still make 50 pin Ultra drives in 9.1 and 18.2 gig sizes.

18ES U, part no. DNES-309170, 9.1 GB, 7 ms, 2 Mb cache, 7200 RPM.

Regards,
        Steven

--
To reply using mail, Please change my address so I have a big foot !

HDD SCA/LVD

Post by Marcel DeVo » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>>> But I'm not sure if you can get drives larger than 9 gig without having
>>> to go to the 68 pins wide variety.
>>I don't think you'll be able to find any SCSI II drives that size,
>>you'll have to get an UW one.
> FWIW, AFAIK, IBM still make 50 pin Ultra drives in 9.1 and 18.2 gig sizes.
> 18ES U, part no. DNES-309170, 9.1 GB, 7 ms, 2 Mb cache, 7200 RPM.

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably scour pricewatch.com and compare
prices versus 68 pin drives with adaptors.

My 4091 is supposed to attain speeds up to 10megs/sec so I should be able
to take advantage of some of the extra speed of the 68 pin ones. Not as
fast as 68 pin controllers but plenty fast enough.

--

Post by Robert J William » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Am considering purchase of a large SCSI hard drive.  I've seen SCA and
LVD
> > in the description of some drives.  Can someone define these and are
they
> > Amiga compatible, that is, with the A4K and the Spitfire SCSI card?

> Not sure what SCA is but LVD is Low Voltage Differential and is used on
> Ultra2
> SCSI  adapters cards. You will probably need an (expensive) converter to
use
> it on normal SCSI-2 cards.

I've just been reading up on this (on http://www.scsifaq.org) and it seems
you can use LVD drives on standard controllers with no problems. However
with a narrow controller (like the Spitfire) you will need a 68-50 way
converter which costs about 15UKP (20ish USD?).

SCA is a different connector style which is mainly designed for hot-swap
applications such as RAID arrays and servers. The SCA connector carries the
data signals, power and ID selection lines all in one connector. SCA to
normal SCSI adaptors are available but they are pricey so I'd avoid SCA
drives.

HTH

Robert

--

| SEAL - South Essex Amiga Link | A3000 CSPPC/060 CVPPC 64Mb OS3.5 |
|  http://www.seal-amiga.co.uk  |  PageStream ImageFX Photogenics  |

1. LVD harddisks on CSPPC SCSI

Quatum offers 2 type of interfaces for their VikingII line.

1. Wide Ultra SCSI [68 pins]
   40 mb/s

2. Ultra2 / Wide Ultra SCSI (LVD) [68 pins]
   80 mb/s

Questions:

a. Can the Ultra2 drive (2.) be connected to the SCSI (technically
   speaking)?

b. Does the CSPPC benefit of the speed increase of the Ultra2 drive
   (2.)?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg

    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/2480
    PGP 2.6.3i / 5.1i public key on request and on public servers

... ELLX

2. LaTeX + fonts -- help requested

3. Do IBM Ultra SCSI/LVD Hard Drives work on Amiga?

4. Needed: PPP specification

5. New site critique

6. SCA connectors

7. 5.1SCSI FAST SCA $199 6.4GB new IDE 4 $225 flat

8. Using SCA Ultra160 on CSPPC

9. Does Epson GT6500 Sca

10. SCA virus advice?

11. HDD backup