Atom

Post by Richard A. Belgar » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 05:41:30

I can't seem to find documentation for the Atom programming utility. I
know that it's listed in a Bantam(?) text but I don't have that. Can
anyone help me out on this?

I also could also use some info on where to get C programming-related
information and programs, preferably on the Internet.

Thanks.

Atom

Post by Marc 'Nepomuk' Heul » Mon, 12 Dec 1994 21:10:46

> I can't seem to find documentation for the Atom programming utility. I
> know that it's listed in a Bantam(?) text but I don't have that. Can
> anyone help me out on this?

ATOM

Format:      ATOM <infile> <outfile> [-I]
                                or
             ATOM <infile> <outfile> [-C[C|D|B]] [-F[C|D|B]]
             [-P[C|D|B]]

Template:    ATOM "INFILE,OUTFILE,-I/K"
                         or
             ATOM "INFILE,OUTFILE,-C/K,-F/K,-P/K"

Purpose:     To specify the portions of a program that should be loaded into
             CHIP memory and/or FAST memory.

Specification:

ATOM is used to specify to the loader the portions of a program to be loaded
into CHIP memory, FAST memory, and PUBLIC memory.  Some system structures
(like Images) must be stored in CHIP memory to work.  Others can take
advantage of the increased speed of FAST memory, while others can work in
either.  Normally, the loader tries to use FAST memory first, if no other
type (or PUBLIC) is specified.

You can compile or assemble a program, then pass the individual object
modules through ATOM before they are linked to form a load file.  ATOM will
flag the desired hunks (CODE, DATA and BSS) and place them in the specified
type of memory (CHIP, FAST, or PUBLIC).

When using ATOM, <infile> represents an object file that has just been
compiled, assembled or ATOMed.  <outfile> represents the destination for the
converted file.  The options are as follows:

[-I]            operate interactively
[-C]            change memory to CHIP
[-F]            change memory to FAST
[-P]            change memory to PUBLIC
[C]             change CODE hunks
[D]             change DATA hunks
[B]             change BSS hunks

ATOM ERROR MESSAGES

Error Bad Args:

        1. an option does not start with a "-".
        2. wrong number of parameters.
        3. "-" not followed by I, C, F or P.
        4. -x supplied in addition to -I.

Error Bad Infile = file not found.

Error Bad Outfile = file cannot be created.

Error Bad Type ## = ATOM has detected a hunk type that it does not
recognize; the object file may be corrupt.

Error Empty Input           = input file does not contain any data.

Error Read Externals        = external reference or definition if of an
                              undefined type; object file may be corrupt.

Error Premature End of File = an end of file condition (out of data) was
                              detected while ATOM was still expecting input.
                              Object file may be corrupt.

Error This Utility can only be used on files that have NOT been passed
through ALINK               = the input file you specified has already been
                              processed by the linker; external symbols have
                              been removed and hunks coagulated.  You need
                              to run ATOM on the object files produced by
                              the C compiler or Macro Assembler BEFORE they
                              are linked.

Examples:

1> ATOM infile.obj outfile.obj -pc -cdb

All code hunks go into Public RAM; data and BSS hunks go into chip RAM.

1> ATOM infile.obj outfile.obj -c

All hunks in the object file are loaded into chip memory.

1> ATOM myfile.o myfile.set.o -cd

Sets all data hunks to load into chip memory.

FOUND WITH: development tools

1. Q: Black cased Atom vs Cream cased Atom?

Does anyone know why there were two different coloured cases for the Acorn
Atom?

Searching the web pages on the web only seems to show the cream coloured
case. I have a black cased model, with some minor hardware differences, e.g.
printer connection is a 25 D-way plug vs parallel socket on the cream model,
plus the addition of a 'sign' switch to the RHS of the keyboard.

Could this be a prototype machine, or just an early run of the DIY kit ?

Also, what is the current market value of an Atom, either model?

Cheers,
Simon.

2. IP address on STUN interface

3. NANOTRANSISTORS: Minimum # of atoms is to build a transistorI (6182 atoms wide)

4. Catmull-rom algorithm

5. "Failure to Retrieve Atom"

6. Bold typeface on VT-200 terminals

7. UID and X<atom> (2 questions)

8. Printing with HP Deskjets

9. Using an Atom for application instancing

10. finding a window class atom

11. Class ATOM question

12. Help , Atoms Table

13. Atoms Table