Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by Paul Ada » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I've got a squirrel scsi hooked up to quad cd and a zip drive.
It has added an extra 10 or so seconds to boot time.  cd is on
3 and zip on 5.  I've been told it takes so long because there is
no scsi terminator?  But it says in the manual for the Zip drive that
it contains a terminator.  Is this true, or is there some other
problem?

          Blizzard A1230-II 50mhz 68882 2+8megs 540HD SquirrelQuadCD Multiscan Iomega Zip

Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by Bruce Wel » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:I've got a squirrel scsi hooked up to quad cd and a zip drive.
:It has added an extra 10 or so seconds to boot time.  cd is on
:3 and zip on 5.  I've been told it takes so long because there is
:no scsi terminator?  But it says in the manual for the Zip drive that
:it contains a terminator.  Is this true, or is there some other
:problem?

Depends on what install option you chose.  If you took the defaults, then
you are first doing a check for a CD32 bootable cd - and going through
several layers of batch files - before getting back to startup-sequence.
And only then getting to user-startup for the check of each scsi address
to see what's there (try removing the checks for each address that you
know is empty).  On the other hand - the extra 10 seconds can be
tolerated if you want to keep the ability to throw in a CD32 cd and have
it autoboot.

--
 this signature being renovated ... excuse the mess

Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by Sean - Curt » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I've got a squirrel scsi hooked up to quad cd and a zip drive.
>It has added an extra 10 or so seconds to boot time.  cd is on
>3 and zip on 5.  I've been told it takes so long because there is
>no scsi terminator?  But it says in the manual for the Zip drive that
>it contains a terminator.  Is this true, or is there some other
>problem?

The problem is the Squirrel itself. It insists on waiting several seconds
after a bus reset before doing anything. HiSoft claims this is to "insure
compatibility with slow-responding devices." It's a driver/hardware thing.
There's not really anything much you can do about it.

The best you can do is to not use anything off the SCSI bus until the end
of your startup-sequence and at the beginning, run mount and/or scsimounter
asynchronously so the computer doesn't sit idle while waiting for the
Squirrel to come up.

...Sean.

Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by Steven Folbe » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Depends on what install option you chose.  If you took the defaults, then
>you are first doing a check for a CD32 bootable cd - and going through
>several layers of batch files - before getting back to startup-sequence.
>And only then getting to user-startup for the check of each scsi address
>to see what's there (try removing the checks for each address that you
>know is empty).

Hmmmm, I've wondered abut exactly this thing: if I only have a CD-Rom hooked
up at address 0, can I just comment out all those other lines in user-startup?

Thanks for a reply.

Steve Folberg

Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by T. Wrig » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>Depends on what install option you chose.  If you took the defaults, then
>>you are first doing a check for a CD32 bootable cd - and going through
>>several layers of batch files - before getting back to startup-sequence.
>>And only then getting to user-startup for the check of each scsi address
>>to see what's there (try removing the checks for each address that you
>>know is empty).

>Hmmmm, I've wondered abut exactly this thing: if I only have a CD-Rom hooked
>up at address 0, can I just comment out all those other lines in user-startup?

Yes.
If you are unsure, try booting without any, and enter the commands
manually.  Actually, I use a second startup-sequence for CD use, so
the boot up time is only extended if I am using (or booting from) the CD
drive; holding a mouse key at startup determines which sequence is used.

Trevor

Squirrel SCSI Boot Time

Post by Bruce Wel » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:Hmmmm, I've wondered abut exactly this thing: if I only have a CD-Rom hooked
:up at address 0, can I just comment out all those other lines in user-startup?

Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh.  The cat jogged the phone and my connection
dropped just before I was about to wrap up a reply.  Once more into the
breach......

Yes.  Comment them out.  Before doing that, watch your hard drive light
during a boot - it will flash once per line.  Time those flashes.  That
is dang near how much time you will gain.  Now, those lines call the same
program that scsimounter in your squirrel drawer uses.  Commenting out
the unused ones is the functional equivalent of NOT clicking on empty
lines in scsimounter's requestor - there, doesn't that make you feel
better :-)

I've left everything in, but, that is partly because my scsi chain has
been subject to change on short notice and partly because I work on macs
and powermacs at work and, well, I'm kinda used to *ly long boot
times.

:
:Thanks for a reply.

Every once in a long while, someone asks about something I've actually
spent time figuring out.  I owe a lot to these newsgroups, and it feels
really good to be able to pay back once in a while.

--

Post by Warren Blo » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I've got a squirrel scsi hooked up to quad cd and a zip drive.
: It has added an extra 10 or so seconds to boot time.  cd is on
: 3 and zip on 5.  I've been told it takes so long because there is
: no scsi terminator?  But it says in the manual for the Zip drive that
: it contains a terminator.  Is this true, or is there some other
: problem?

The Zip has switchable termination.  Long boot times are more likely
caused by the controller scanning SCSI addresses 0-6 for bootable
devices.  Dunno if you can adjust this on the Squirrel.

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------.

|  Rapid City SD USA  *  Brought to you in majestic INEMASCOP!   |
`----------------------------------------------------------------'

1. SCSI BIT TIME BOOT PROBLEm

I have a small problem with my SCSI controller.

Out of two harddiscs only one of them is configurable after the
first startup (boot) of the computer.
If I, however, make a warmboot just after turning my conputer on (oh no,
not that!) then - only then my 2nd harddisc is configured. And it will
continue to be configurable after a million numbers of resets, but my
SCSI controller does not recognise the harddisk the first time I boot.
-It really sucx!!

My theory is that the harddisk has not accelerated and set the
appropriate *ready* bits which the controller runs through the LUN chain.

I hope this is not a stupid question people have been asking a hundred
times: How do I get my SCSI controller to wait for BOTH harddisks at
first startup?

My configuration is:
        A2000 GVP FUSION FORTY 40Mhz 680EC30/ 40Mzh FPU
        9 MB RAM / 120 + 440 MB HD

Thankz...

 "Artificial strife lives in these        |       Gorm Soerensen

- Shakespeare, Timon O. A. (sc. 1/act 1.) |       Denmark

2. LPR - error "Copy file to large"

3. Boot times and SCSI this and that

4. Heat-n-Serve Sozobon...

5. SCSI spin-up time and boot sequence

6. Information about WORM disk support on HP-UX 10.XX wanted.

7. Squirrel SCSI/Surf Squirrel question...

8. Yamaha Drumset

9. Viper SCSI vs Squirrel SCSI - suggestions?

10. REO 1300 Optial read/write SCSI Harddisk & squirrel scsi

11. Q: Squirrel SCSI-2 (PCMCIA) vs Dataflyer SCSI+ (IDE)

12. FS: Squirrel SCSI for A1200 + bonus external SCSI case

13. System time/Hardware time/Up time