Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Asha Develd » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

    20-Dec-95  16:17:43
Sb: #Blue Ribbon Amiga News!
Fm: Dominick J. Fontana 74766,2154
To: ALL

                       *** TO ALL AMIGA USERS ***

   I have spoken to Melissa Jordan Grey, Todor Fay, and Brian Thomas from Blue
Ribbon. They all asked me to send their regards and to wish everyone a Merry
Christmas and a Happy New Year.

   In case you were unaware, Blue Ribbon was purchased by Microsoft. As such,
Microsoft is now technically in charge of all Blue Ribbon products and makes
all decisions concerning future software support. Microsoft has indicated that
they will provide tech support for the Blue Ribbon Windows products and they
will continue to make such products. I believe that the Windows tech support
may eventually be moved to the Microsoft Forum. However, they are not providing
tech support for the Amiga products, nor will they continue to make Amiga
products. But, the Blue Ribbon section in the MIDI C Vendor Forum (GO MIDICVEN)
will remain open so that both Amiga users and Windows users can congregate and
support one another.

   In order to thank all the Amiga users for their past support, and as a
parting good will gesture to the Amiga community, Blue Ribbon/Microsoft have
decided to make most of Blue Ribbon's Amiga software available to all
CompuServe members FREE OF CHARGE!

   Following is a message directly from Brian Thomas, which he asked me to post
for him. Brian was the online tech support representative in MIDI C VENDOR
Forum for Blue Ribbon for the last year and a half.

 =====================

Dear Amigans,

Hi. My name is Brian Thomas, the person that has answered many of your
technical and product questions over the last year. It has been fun working
with all of you.

As many of you may know, Microsoft has purchased Blue Ribbon in hopes of
letting us bring interactive music to the masses of the world. All of the Blue
Ribbonites are very e*d about being given this opportunity.

As a result of the change, I am not able to monitor this CompuServe forum, and
that is one of the reasons recent questions to me have not been answered. It is
my fault that I did not find a way to check on this, or at least find someone
else to answer the questions in my absence.

The current plans do not include producing any new products for the Amiga, but
something unexpected (and good) happened. Microsoft decided to allow us to
upload most of the Blue Ribbon Amiga products to be available for free to
CompuServe members.

This will occur soon: Early 1996 (by mid-January, most likely), these products
will be uploaded to CompuServe in the Microsoft forum. There will be a message
[in MIDI C VENDOR] that lets you know exactly where to go to get the products.

However, there are some important things to keep in mind. Not all our Amiga
products are going to be uploaded, and none of the Windows, OS/2, or Indigo
products will be uploaded. This is not a mistake, and you are not allowed to
upload these products.

Also, you will not be allowed to repost the products to other on-line services,
or Internet sites. This benefit of free products is initially going to be
allowed only to CompuServe customers.

Finally, none of the programs are shareware or public domain. You will have to
agree to an end user license agreement to be allowed to download the products
from CompuServe.

The products that will initially be uploaded will be Bars&Pipes Professional
v2.5, SuperJAM! Amiga v1.1, Pro Studio Tools Kit, Creativity Tools Kit,
Internal Sounds Kit, and Rules for Tools. These products are not crippled in
any way! They are FULL products. Soon to follow will be PatchMeister.

Accompanying these programs will be an official statement from Melissa Jordan
Grey.

In addition, you'll be given the opportunity to purchase a manual for SuperJAM!
or Bars&Pipes, and details on how to do that will be posted at the same time
the products are uploaded.

It is highly encouraged that you provide support for each other either on
CompuServe, or other on-line services. Since the products are going to be
available free, Microsoft won't be able to provide any tech support for the
Amiga products.

That's the best update I can give right now. If more news arrives, I will
provide it for you.

Feel free to repost this message to other online forums, whether they be
CompuServe or otherwise, as long as you keep the body of this message intact.

Again, thank you for your support, and enjoy the products!

Brian Thomas The Blue Ribbon SoundWorks

 ====================

.......................Charter Member: TEAM AMIGA........................

 * Crispy outside, tender inside.

-*- ASTG 1.9

Status of Bars&Pipes

:
: This will occur soon: Early 1996 (by mid-January, most likely), these products
: will be uploaded to CompuServe in the Microsoft forum. There will be a message
: [in MIDI C VENDOR] that lets you know exactly where to go to get the products.
:
: However, there are some important things to keep in mind. Not all our Amiga
: products are going to be uploaded, and none of the Windows, OS/2, or Indigo
: products will be uploaded. This is not a mistake, and you are not allowed to
: upload these products.

Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
tools disks I don't own or I will assume that Blue Ribbon has no concern
for their customers who don't have CIS accounts. Obviously Microsoft has
no interest in Amiga issues when Apple is barely holding it's own! I
wonder what reason there might be for deciding we don't deserve such
miserly consideration? Of course I am not even going to try and make any
sense of this situation as it would be an exercise in futility... ;^]

                                                  barefoot

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Chris Ha » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
: available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
: of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
: tools disks I don't own or I will assume that Blue Ribbon has no concern
: for their customers who don't have CIS accounts. Obviously Microsoft has
: no interest in Amiga issues when Apple is barely holding it's own! I
: wonder what reason there might be for deciding we don't deserve such
: miserly consideration? Of course I am not even going to try and make any
: sense of this situation as it would be an exercise in futility... ;^]

It would have been nice if they had just sold the Amiga versions off to a
dedicated Amiga software house but whoever said MS was nice. It's probably
a case where it's cheaper for them to play at giving copies of the dead
software for free and locking the rights up so that it can't be made for a
competing platform. I bet that all their other non-Windows products will
get the same treatment soon.

Chris Hall

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Daniel Barre » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
>available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
>of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
>tools disks I don't own....

        Unless I'm mistaken, can't you purchase them by joining Compuserve
for an hour with one of their "free trial" disks, downloading them, and
then quitting Compuserve?

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett -- Computer Science Dept, University of MA, Amherst, MA 01003 |

 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by H.R. Las » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
: >available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
: >of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
: >tools disks I don't own....

:       Unless I'm mistaken, can't you purchase them by joining Compuserve
: for an hour with one of their "free trial" disks, downloading them, and
: then quitting Compuserve?

:                                                         Dan

Yes, actually you could, however you'll still have to feed CI$
a credit card number to use those "free trial" hours. Their hope is,
of course, that after the free trial hours are up, you'll keep
the account and start racking up charges on your card. All of the
"free trial" online services work that way.

Harv                                       |  "Do you recognize the

http://www.portal.com/~harv                |  hear it ring?"

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Jim Wil » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
>>available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
>>of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
>>tools disks I don't own....

>        Unless I'm mistaken, can't you purchase them by joining Compuserve
>for an hour with one of their "free trial" disks, downloading them, and
>then quitting Compuserve?

>                                                        Dan

> //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>| Dan Barrett -- Computer Science Dept, University of MA, Amherst, MA 01003 |

> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

This is a great idea.  As a registered B&P owner, it pisses me off that I can't
 get upgrades because I don't have a CIS account, but someone who never paid
their money can get all the stuff ffor free.  When the actual paths become know
n, will someone please post them here, so that we can indeed log on for the fre
e hour, just to get what we paid our money for in the first place?

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Kristofer D. Da » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: :     Unless I'm mistaken, can't you purchase them by joining Compuserve
: : for an hour with one of their "free trial" disks, downloading them, and
: : then quitting Compuserve?
:
: :                                                         Dan
:
: Yes, actually you could, however you'll still have to feed CI$
: a credit card number to use those "free trial" hours. Their hope is,
: of course, that after the free trial hours are up, you'll keep
: the account and start racking up charges on your card. All of the
: "free trial" online services work that way.

actually i have worked out a way, just select direct payment as an
option, only need a bank account #...

--
                                                  barefoot

Status of Bars&Pipes

Post by Esa Haapanie » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >Merry Christmas indeed!  No support, but not all Amiga products will be
: >available on CIS? No further distribution allowed? As a registered user
: >of Bars & Pipes Pro, i would like to be given an opportunity to purchase
: >tools disks I don't own....

:       Unless I'm mistaken, can't you purchase them by joining Compuserve
: for an hour with one of their "free trial" disks, downloading them, and
: then quitting Compuserve?

BUT !! What about us europeans ? We don't have CIS connections (at least not
here at Oulu). I am not personally interested in MIDI nor music, but I
have heard couple of my friends cursing (during Christmas time, tsk...).