Looking for repair site

Post by Mark Stewar » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:35:56

  Have a PIV and CSMKIII in need of repair.
Anybody have an idea of where to get them repaired?
Tried merlancia and software hut and was told they
 could not do it.. Got no responce from anybody else.

Mark

Looking for repair site

Post by Angelo Vigliott » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 20:07:21

Quote:>   Have a PIV and CSMKIII in need of repair.
> Anybody have an idea of where to get them repaired?
> Tried merlancia and software hut and was told they
>  could not do it.. Got no responce from anybody else.

> Mark

The last known place was DCE but there are a number of people
who post regularly here that have gear at DCE and have never heard anything
back. Some over a year!

You can try merlanca.com they might have repair services.
Can you describe the symptoms right before they quit working?
Any number of bench shops can probably repair simple stuff
like fried caps and such but for the custom circuitry you're
pretty much SOL without a shop that has the specific
design information.

             Jim

Looking for repair site

Post by Mark Stewar » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 23:25:52

> >   Have a PIV and CSMKIII in need of repair.
> > Anybody have an idea of where to get them repaired?
> > Tried merlancia and software hut and was told they
> >  could not do it.. Got no responce from anybody else.

> > Mark

> The last known place was DCE but there are a number of people
> who post regularly here that have gear at DCE and have never heard
anything
> back. Some over a year!

> You can try merlanca.com they might have repair services.
> Can you describe the symptoms right before they quit working?
> Any number of bench shops can probably repair simple stuff
> like fried caps and such but for the custom circuitry you're
> pretty much SOL without a shop that has the specific
> design information.

>              Jim

   I tried merlancia but they said they would not look at them.

The CSMKIII just quit. I turned on the computer and nothing.
No attempt to do anything. Card looks fine and the 060 is
good.

The PIV was actually acting a little flakey before it quit. It
is not seen by the Amiga at all now. It woulk act up in native
modes but worked fine on P96 modes. Now nothing.
Again the card has no visible problems.

Mark

Looking for repair site

Post by Mike Leavit » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 14:10:46

Hello Mark Stewart

> > >   Have a PIV and CSMKIII in need of repair.
> > > Anybody have an idea of where to get them repaired?
> > > Tried merlancia and software hut and was told they
> > >  could not do it.. Got no responce from anybody else.

> > > Mark

> > The last known place was DCE but there are a number of people
> > who post regularly here that have gear at DCE and have never heard
> anything
> > back. Some over a year!

> > You can try merlanca.com they might have repair services.
> > Can you describe the symptoms right before they quit working?
> > Any number of bench shops can probably repair simple stuff
> > like fried caps and such but for the custom circuitry you're
> > pretty much SOL without a shop that has the specific
> > design information.

> >              Jim

>    I tried merlancia but they said they would not look at them.

> The CSMKIII just quit. I turned on the computer and nothing.
> No attempt to do anything. Card looks fine and the 060 is
> good.

> The PIV was actually acting a little flakey before it quit. It
> is not seen by the Amiga at all now. It woulk act up in native
> modes but worked fine on P96 modes. Now nothing.
> Again the card has no visible problems.

> Mark

There is a company in France that is supposed to repair them, but I
cannot remember the name.  It is an Amiga Company, so maybe a google
search will turn it up, or some kind sole who knows the name will post
here.  I was lucky, the UW controller just quit on my MKIII, and all I
had to do was turn off all the luns in the CS early startup menu, and
get 50 pin drives and restore my backup from the dead 68 pin drive,
and I was up and running.
--

Looking for repair site

Post by Acil » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 14:51:08

Is Merlancia even open for business? I live just up the street from them and
drive by on the wat to work every day. I dont see how anyone could even get
in the door to that place its so full of stuff. I've also called for a few
months and never get an answer. I need a graphics card and a X-surfer board.

> >   Have a PIV and CSMKIII in need of repair.
> > Anybody have an idea of where to get them repaired?
> > Tried merlancia and software hut and was told they
> >  could not do it.. Got no responce from anybody else.

> > Mark

> The last known place was DCE but there are a number of people
> who post regularly here that have gear at DCE and have never heard
anything
> back. Some over a year!

> You can try merlanca.com they might have repair services.
> Can you describe the symptoms right before they quit working?
> Any number of bench shops can probably repair simple stuff
> like fried caps and such but for the custom circuitry you're
> pretty much SOL without a shop that has the specific
> design information.

>              Jim

Looking for repair site

Post by Frank 21 » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 22:30:12

> Hello Mark Stewart

> > > The last known place was DCE but there are a number of people
> > > who post regularly here that have gear at DCE and have never heard
> > anything
> > > back. Some over a year!

> > > You can try merlanca.com they might have repair services.
> > > Can you describe the symptoms right before they quit working?
> > > Any number of bench shops can probably repair simple stuff
> > > like fried caps and such but for the custom circuitry you're
> > > pretty much SOL without a shop that has the specific
> > > design information.

> > >              Jim

> >    I tried merlancia but they said they would not look at them.

> > The CSMKIII just quit. I turned on the computer and nothing.
> > No attempt to do anything. Card looks fine and the 060 is
> > good.

> > The PIV was actually acting a little flakey before it quit. It
> > is not seen by the Amiga at all now. It woulk act up in native
> > modes but worked fine on P96 modes. Now nothing.
> > Again the card has no visible problems.

> > Mark

> There is a company in France that is supposed to repair them, but I
> cannot remember the name.  It is an Amiga Company, so maybe a google
> search will turn it up, or some kind sole who knows the name will post
> here.  I was lucky, the UW controller just quit on my MKIII, and all I
> had to do was turn off all the luns in the CS early startup menu, and
> get 50 pin drives and restore my backup from the dead 68 pin drive,
> and I was up and running.
> --

Would that be www.amiga.fr? My french is not that good so I cannot tell :)

Looking for repair site

Post by Mike Leavit » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:48:53

Hello Frank 213

> > There is a company in France that is supposed to repair them, but I
> > cannot remember the name.  It is an Amiga Company, so maybe a google
> > search will turn it up, or some kind sole who knows the name will post
> > here.  I was lucky, the UW controller just quit on my MKIII, and all I
> > had to do was turn off all the luns in the CS early startup menu, and
> > get 50 pin drives and restore my backup from the dead 68 pin drive,
> > and I was up and running.

> Would that be www.amiga.fr? My french is not that good so I cannot tell :)

OK, that may be it, but I'm not sure either.  Why not try it.
--

Looking for repair site

Post by Mike Leavit » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:46:27

Hello Acill

Quote:> Is Merlancia even open for business? I live just up the street from them and
> drive by on the way to work every day. I don't see how anyone could even get
> in the door to that place its so full of stuff. I've also called for a few
> months and never get an answer. I need a graphics card and a X-surfer board.

When it was there, Anti-Gravity looked like that, but you could get
in, and transact business.  I got my MKIII 060/50 from them.  Try it
and report back to us.  I have heard nothing of their Walker A1
equivalent lately, and wonder if they are even going to produce it.
Of course they advertise surface mount repairs, and then refuse to
look at a CDPPC or PicassoIV per another poster, so there you are.

--

Looking for repair site

Post by Angelo Vigliott » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 19:17:59

> >    I tried merlancia but they said they would not look at them.

> > The CSMKIII just quit. I turned on the computer and nothing.
> > No attempt to do anything. Card looks fine and the 060 is
> > good.

> > The PIV was actually acting a little flakey before it quit. It
> > is not seen by the Amiga at all now. It woulk act up in native
> > modes but worked fine on P96 modes. Now nothing.
> > Again the card has no visible problems.

> > Mark

If both went at the same time it sounds like a power surge
or other power problem.  Are you protecting the systems
with a full surge/spike arrest system?  Not the el cheapo
surge power strips that go for $24.00  I'm talking UPS
class, with a guaranteed rated joule protection.

Myself, no public trons get near my Amiga before going through
a full filter/surge/spike/arrest Tripplite UPS system.
The $250.00 cost has served me well and it provides line
feedback via Ethernet.  You'd be surprised how dirty
typical household current can be at times.  Our little
"power" problem here in Southern CA. set a record
for spikes and surges recorded by my setup.

                 Jim

Looking for repair site

Post by Angelo Vigliott » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 19:25:09

> Hello Frank 213

> > > There is a company in France that is supposed to repair them, but I
> > > cannot remember the name.  It is an Amiga Company, so maybe a google
> > > search will turn it up, or some kind sole who knows the name will post
> > > here.  I was lucky, the UW controller just quit on my MKIII, and all I
> > > had to do was turn off all the luns in the CS early startup menu, and
> > > get 50 pin drives and restore my backup from the dead 68 pin drive,
> > > and I was up and running.

> > Would that be www.amiga.fr? My french is not that good so I cannot tell
:)

> OK, that may be it, but I'm not sure either.  Why not try it.
> --

Seems the translation sites are a little *ed as well! ;-)
Here is the machine translation of their service page.
It "appears" they can repair P5 gear.

"SERVICE AFTER SALE
ANY AMIGA AND PERIPHERIQUES

Contact us in order to try to encircle the breakdown with such, dispatch the
material concerned and the peripherals if it is necessary. FREE ESTIMATE .
Note concerning the 4000

This aircraft is equipped with a battery Cad-nor, taking into account the
age of the machine, this battery generates with its proximity an oxide WHICH
DETRUIT ALL that is in its zone, tracks Ci, short-circuits of adjacent
components CMS. To change this accumulator is not enough. If you do not plan
to make repair in the immediate future, dismount the battery, clean the zone
with * with bruler. Dry, NEVER use on your AMIGA of fatty products
CONTACT kind, to remove dust using a soufflette is enough.

The condensers of decoupling, notemment on the level of the audio exit, are
" old " and their electrolyte escapes thus creating cuts from tracks, DC...
of the breakdowns of sound. They should be replaced BEFORE the breakdown.

Note concerning Blizzard (Phase V and DCE)

Let us repair, overclockons any chart accelerating PPC or not"

Gotta love machine translation systems.  Heaven help us if one were ever
relied upon to translate something extremely serious! ;-)

               Jim

Looking for repair site

Post by Mark Stewar » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:52:40

> > >    I tried merlancia but they said they would not look at them.

> > > The CSMKIII just quit. I turned on the computer and nothing.
> > > No attempt to do anything. Card looks fine and the 060 is
> > > good.

> > > The PIV was actually acting a little flakey before it quit. It
> > > is not seen by the Amiga at all now. It woulk act up in native
> > > modes but worked fine on P96 modes. Now nothing.
> > > Again the card has no visible problems.

> > > Mark

> If both went at the same time it sounds like a power surge
> or other power problem.  Are you protecting the systems
> with a full surge/spike arrest system?  Not the el cheapo
> surge power strips that go for $24.00  I'm talking UPS
> class, with a guaranteed rated joule protection.

> Myself, no public trons get near my Amiga before going through
> a full filter/surge/spike/arrest Tripplite UPS system.
> The $250.00 cost has served me well and it provides line
> feedback via Ethernet.  You'd be surprised how dirty
> typical household current can be at times.  Our little
> "power" problem here in Southern CA. set a record
> for spikes and surges recorded by my setup.

>                  Jim

    Actually they went out at seperate times and no other cards
ect. were affected. I do have a quality surge protector also.
Stll searching for a repair site. Anyone ever have one that
actually got repaired?

Mark

1. Amiga Repair Site in UK

HELP, my brothers Amiga just quit.

Scenario:

He had just plugged in the printer  (probably, while the computer was powered
up), and after about ten minutes, he says there was a funny smell.  Upon
rebooting the machine, it refused to operate the floppy drive.
Machine just sits there displaying "Insert Workbench" display

Equipment:

A500 Revision 6A, (serial number 600,000+)
1 Mb upgrade
second floppy
Kickstart 1.3

Testing Done so far:

I have tested the floppy in another Amiga, no problems.
The bottom right corner of the ODD CIA IC has a pale white line accross it.

Any Suggestions????

Posibility that th ODD CIA IC may be f**ked, consistent with problem with floppy
after problem with printer, as the 2 CIA ICs control all standard IO
(parallel, Serial, and Disc Drive)

What I would like is positive decisions on problem, and/or recommended
place of repair (preferably less than 50 quid inc.)

I repeat the problem is NOT the floppy disc, It just refuses to aknowledge the
disc drives existance.

please e-mail me, as this is not my usual reading area.

Thanks

Ashley

Subject: Amiga Repair Site in UK
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware, comp.sys.amiga.misc

[...]

2. How expandable/upgradeable is the X-BOX?

3. Okidata ML292 Printer (driver needed)

4. Amiga repair FTP site?

5. Which power management method is the best?

6. Looking for PPI/Zeus repair

7. Matlab web plugin's

8. Looking for Amiga FTP sites

9. Looking for downloads sites

10. Looking for a game site?

11. GAMEZNet looking to host Amiga sites!