are A4000 HD floppies == A3000 HD floppies ???????

are A4000 HD floppies == A3000 HD floppies ???????

Post by LINDS » Mon, 17 May 1993 19:45:45

Are the A4000 HD floppy drives equivelent to the A3000 HD floppy drives except
for the button and faceplate??????   I installed an A4000 drive in my A3000
and cant get it to work. The drive says  "DF0: not a DOS disk" for every
DD disk I put in it.  I tried to format a DD floppy in it and it wouldnt
format it.  What is the problem???  I have the problem with the LEDs on the
new HD drive and the normal drive coming on when either is accessed.  Is it
possible to fix this?????

Please help.  I have Emplant and wont be able to use it unless I can get this
working :(:(

Coy

are A4000 HD floppies == A3000 HD floppies ???????

Post by Jeff R Lindstr » Tue, 18 May 1993 08:01:04

Quote:> Are the A4000 HD floppy drives equivelent to the A3000 HD floppy drives exce
> for the button and faceplate??????   I installed an A4000 drive in my A3000
> and cant get it to work. The drive says  "DF0: not a DOS disk" for every
> DD disk I put in it.  I tried to format a DD floppy in it and it wouldnt
> format it.  What is the problem???  I have the problem with the LEDs on the
> new HD drive and the normal drive coming on when either is accessed.  Is it
> possible to fix this?????

  I did not have the problem with "DF0: not a DOS disk", but I resolved the
problem with the floppies flashing lights when the other is accessed by
swapping jumper positions for selection.  I installed two Chinon FB-357a
floppies in my system.  The floppy cable has a center tap and an end tap.
The end tap has twisted cable for some pins.  If the Chinon HD floppy is
connected here, set the jumper on the 2x3 header to the bottom two pins the
farthest from the cable connector.  This will be DF0:

  It is possible that the reason you are not able to use the floppy is that
you have connected the cable incorrectly.  I noticed that Pin#1 on the HD
floppies are closest to the side.  The two DD floppies I replaced (including
a Chinon F-354E) had Pin#1 nearest the center of the drive.  Pin#1 is marked
on the cable with a different color for the conductor insulator.

  Also, the power connector was flipped, too.  +5V is now nearest the side
of the floppy.  On my 2000, +5V is yellow and +12V is orange.  The center
two pins are ground.

  Your situation is slightly different as you have only one HD floppy.  The
HD floppies are designed to decode at the floppy, so if you have two, you
should restore J301 to the original position signifying that DF1: was not
present as an internal unit.  You will not be doing this as you will have
a DD floppy as DF1:, but that should be the floppy connected to the end of
the cable.  You may have to play with the position of the jumper on the
2x3 header at the back of the Chinon HD floppy in order to make your
installation work properly.

Good luck,

Jeff Lindstrom
Technical Support
Prolific, Inc.

1. IBM PC HD floppies as Amiga HD floppies

Hi All,

I want to use IBM PC HD floppy drives as Amiga HD drives. In Aminet was told
that I need to slow down the rotation speed of the drive up to 150 rpm.
I tried to this but my TEAC FD-235HF didn't want to rotate at this speed even
if I changed the Osc. to 0.5MHz. It slows down to 180...190 rpm.
Now I think that it is possible to make software hack for Amiga. It has the
power! And I think it is a bit crazy to use "strange" hardware for the
computer. The future Amiga developers must borrow the best things from other
platforms.
So, hardware programmers, _Help Me !_

---
<tsb>Amiga 1200, Blizzard1230IV 50MHz, 8MB RAM, 200MB HDD,CDROM

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels good.

2. Newsreader

3. PC HD floppy to Amiga HD floppy

4. Motorola SM56 disconnect problem, strange symptom...

5. Power Comp HD floppy as second HD floppy ?

6. Outlook accesibility

7. Trade FB357a HD floppy for FZ357a Slim Line HD Floppy

8. Moto commercial on MacUser

9. FS: CD-ROM,Syquest,HD floppy,DD Floppy,HD's

10. FS: AM-TRADE HD FLOPPY FOR A4000(T) $80.00

11. WTB:::HD INTERNAL HD FLOPPY FOR MY A3000

12. Amiga high density floppies vs. PC HD floppies: tech diff?

13. HD Floppy & LD Floppy / Jumpers Help!