Breathless Source?

Post by Steve Duf » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

With all the attention directed towards AB3D2 lately, I can't help
wondering if something can be done with, IMHO, a far superior game,
Breathless.

Breathless is circa '94 IIRC.  Perhaps now is the time for the source code
to be released.  I'm sure that if this happened, some of the game's flaws
could be remedied, such as perhaps providing visible weapons and cleaning
up or even improving the engine.  For example, it would be nice if the
flying creatures could rise without having to climb stairs. :>

With available source, perhaps a level/graphics editor could also be
developed.  This should have been provided by the original designers, as it
would have given the game life beyond its original level set.

I'd personally love to design levels for Breathless, as I do for Doom.  If
anyone wants to check out my Doom designing skills, go to Aminet and
download Elfstomp.wad from game/data/elfstomp.lha.

I'd imagine that Power Computing owns the rights to Breathless.  I know the
original team has left the Amiga scene.  Perhaps the question to ask now is
whether we have enough hobbyist coders left to do anything with the source
if it appeared, or to design a proper level editor?  Also, as Breathless is
for some reason less popular than AB3D2, despite being a rock-solid
professional product, maybe the biggest question is whether anyone besides
myself would care?

But, wouldn't it be cool if Breathless could be tweaked to run at hi-res on
gfx cards or PPC?  Or even if it could be ported to PC?

Think about it.  I do. :)

--
Best;
Steve Duff     Team AMIGA

QuikPak A4060T 82MB/1GB SCSI/4MB CV64-3D w/Scan Doubler
               Melody Z-2/4X SCSI CD-ROM/GVP  I-O Extender

"Calling me a paranoid fantasy is only showing what you're about."
                                    - Timothy Rue

Breathless Source?

Post by Steffen Haeus » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

st> whether we have enough hobbyist coders left to do anything with the source
st> if it appeared, or to design a proper level editor?  Also, as Breathless is
st> for some reason less popular than AB3D2, despite being a rock-solid
st> professional product, maybe the biggest question is whether anyone besides
st> myself would care?

st> But, wouldn't it be cool if Breathless could be tweaked to run at hi-res on
st> gfx cards or PPC?  Or even if it could be ported to PC?

AFAIK the source WAS released on some CD... the author told me about. I just
never could find out where i get this CD from...

Porting to something else ? It is ASM code, forget about it.

What could be done with it: Include GFX Board Support and Soundboard Support

Steffen

Breathless Source?

Post by Steve Duf » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

"SH" == "Steffen Haeuser" writes:

Quote:> AFAIK the source WAS released on some CD... the author told me about. I just
> never could find out where i get this CD from...

Thanks for the info.  I hope someone can track this down.  Or maybe track
down the author to get it re-released.

Quote:> Porting to something else ? It is ASM code, forget about it.

I had feared that would be the case.  I guess we can say bye-bye to the
AmigaPPC version too. :>

Quote:> What could be done with it: Include GFX Board Support and Soundboard Support

That would be fine, though soundboard support is probably less necessary,
since the existing sound is 8-bit anyway.  But there are still other things
to do.  Like the level editor.  Perhaps the original in-house editor can be
found and improved upon (I say this mainly because in-house editors tend to
be difficult for most users).  Failing that, something useful could still
be achieved if an app could rip the graphics from Breathless, enabling one
to transfer them into Doom and create a Breathless TC.  Doom, for example,
is still a basis for TCs in Quake2 and Unreal.  Breathless has some really
cool graphics and sounds, and interesting monsters, that would work well in
a Doom environment.

One more question -- a primary feature of Breathless is its killer fog
effect.  Would it be possible to translate this into gfx board support or
would it be forever limited to AGA?

--

Post by Bill Silve » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> "SH" == "Steffen Haeuser" writes:

> > AFAIK the source WAS released on some CD... the author told me about. I just
> > never could find out where i get this CD from...

> Thanks for the info.  I hope someone can track this down.  Or maybe track
> down the author to get it re-released.

> > Porting to something else ? It is ASM code, forget about it.

> I had feared that would be the case.  I guess we can say bye-bye to the
> AmigaPPC version too. :>

> > What could be done with it: Include GFX Board Support and Soundboard Support

> That would be fine, though soundboard support is probably less necessary,
> since the existing sound is 8-bit anyway.  But there are still other things
> to do.  Like the level editor.  Perhaps the original in-house editor can be
> found and improved upon (I say this mainly because in-house editors tend to
> be difficult for most users).  Failing that, something useful could still
> be achieved if an app could rip the graphics from Breathless, enabling one
> to transfer them into Doom and create a Breathless TC.  Doom, for example,
> is still a basis for TCs in Quake2 and Unreal.  Breathless has some really
> cool graphics and sounds, and interesting monsters, that would work well in
> a Doom environment.

> One more question -- a primary feature of Breathless is its killer fog
> effect.  Would it be possible to translate this into gfx board support or
> would it be forever limited to AGA?

Nope!  Permedia2, ViRGE and (especially!) 3dfx cards *all* do fogging.   And of
course, the redoubtable Amiga has all of 'em :-)

(as much as I know the platform has it's limitations I *do* like hearing about
neato things like 3dfx cards for it, and people doing wicked ports of games that
idjits like Zsolt Szabo said were impossible :) )

--
Bill Silvey, Oathmaster, Clan Wolverine - * the IDSA - Death to Apple Computer
"I post to see what kind of responses I will get. I don't  know of every

that it does in fact post in rec.games.mecha  only to troll.
Spell 'yrtsinim' backwards to email me.

Breathless Source?

Post by Angus Manwarin » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On 11-Apr-99 05:14:42, Bill Silvey said

>(as much as I know the platform has it's limitations I *do* like hearing
>about neato things like 3dfx cards for it, and people doing wicked ports of
>games that idjits like Zsolt Szabo said were impossible :) )

ARGHHHH!  I thought I was the only one left that remembered him and all
his non-orthagonal walls arguments.   :)

Happy days.

                  All the best,
                        Angus Manwaring.       (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

Breathless Source?

Post by Steffen Haeus » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Quote:>> AFAIK the source WAS released on some CD... the author told me about. I just
>> never could find out where i get this CD from...

st> Thanks for the info.  I hope someone can track this down.  Or maybe track
st> down the author to get it re-released.

AFAIK he is now working for a new company... forgot the name, sadly... his
name is Alberto Longo.

st> I had feared that would be the case.  I guess we can say bye-bye to the
st> AmigaPPC version too. :>

Yes.

st> That would be fine, though soundboard support is probably less necessary,

I just pointed out what is interesting. Yes, GFX Board Support would be most
interesting.

Steffen

Breathless Source?

Post by Bill Silve » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> On 11-Apr-99 05:14:42, Bill Silvey said

> >(as much as I know the platform has it's limitations I *do* like hearing
> >about neato things like 3dfx cards for it, and people doing wicked ports of
> >games that idjits like Zsolt Szabo said were impossible :) )

> ARGHHHH!  I thought I was the only one left that remembered him and all
> his non-orthagonal walls arguments.   :)

> Happy days.

Oh no.  I *quite* remember going 'round and 'round with Insult Shazbot or
whatever his name was.  God.  That guy.  He was like a less smarmy and less
intelligent Mark Barrett with a foul mouth.

--
Bill Silvey, Oathmaster, Clan Wolverine - * the IDSA - Death to Apple
Computer
"I post to see what kind of responses I will get. I don't  know of every
single facet of a subject I post on." - ATN082268's confession in posting

that it does in fact post in rec.games.mecha  only to troll.
Spell 'yrtsinim' backwards to email me.

Breathless Source?

Post by Ciro Scognamigli » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

mmm, I have something to say too :)

> Hi!
> st> gfx cards or PPC?  Or even if it could be ported to PC?
> AFAIK the source WAS released on some CD... the author told me about. I just
> never could find out where i get this CD from...

The cd you are looking for is Amiresource volume 6, I actually have it
and there is the full game and sources on it...
I think this cd can only be bought in Italy as it is mainly
intended for Italian users...

Maybe if someone is interested I could give him the sources or maybe I could
put them on my homepage, even though I don't know if they are actually free...
If someoune is interested I could contact the cd author and ask him...

Quote:> Porting to something else ? It is ASM code, forget about it.

Right...

Quote:> What could be done with it: Include GFX Board Support and Soundboard Support

would be nice :)
and maybe also improving player controls...It is a really good game, with
stunning gfx but really poor playability IMHO...
Running it in a PicassoIV PiP window would be nice too :)

regards,

Ciro.

--

    Writing from the computer science department of Milan (DSI)
   home page at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4710

Breathless Source?

Post by Steffen Haeus » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

cs> The cd you are looking for is Amiresource volume 6, I actually have it
cs> and there is the full game and sources on it...
cs> I think this cd can only be bought in Italy as it is mainly
cs> intended for Italian users...

cs> Maybe if someone is interested I could give him the sources or maybe I could
cs> put them on my homepage, even though I don't know if they are actually free...
cs> If someoune is interested I could contact the cd author and ask him...

Maybe you could ask him if you get permission to upload the sources to Aminet ?

cs> and maybe also improving player controls...It is a really good game, with
cs> stunning gfx but really poor playability IMHO...
cs> Running it in a PicassoIV PiP window would be nice too :)

Hehehe, sure :)

Steffen Haeuser

Breathless Source?

Post by Steve Duf » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > mmm, I have something to say too :)
> > > What could be done with it: Include GFX Board Support and Soundboard Support

> > would be nice :)
> > and maybe also improving player controls...It is a really good game, with
> > stunning gfx but really poor playability IMHO...
> > Running it in a PicassoIV PiP window would be nice too :)

> Well, the playability is not poor, it is just a bit 'strange' for
> starts. :)

I'll confess, I thought it was fine, though on occasion the thing that
represents the player viewpoint seems unusually large.  I frequently fell
into poison pits even though I seemed quite far away from the edges. :>

Quote:

> But, after a while, you can get used to it, then it's a very absorbing
> game, and the difficult level is just right - not too hard, not
> too easy, just the right balance. It is one of the few Amiga games
> I've played and finished without cheating :)

Same here.  All you have to do is avoid the temptation to buy the
Flamethrower and instead double up the Death Machine.  That makes it kind
of easy.  If you buy the flamethrower, you may end up getting almost to the
end but never quite making it, like I did the first time.  Ah, so
frustrating!

Changing the topic slightly, does anyone have an idea why the viewpoint in
Breathless would spin uncontrollably?  This happened after I installed
Quake (which also spins uncontrollably).  Presumably the Quake install
effected Breathless.  Oddly, all my other shooters (Doom, NemacIV, Genetic
Species) work fine.  I'm stumped.  Anyone?

--

Post by Lars Olsso » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Changing the topic slightly, does anyone have an idea why the viewpoint in
>Breathless would spin uncontrollably?  This happened after I installed
>Quake (which also spins uncontrollably).  Presumably the Quake install

This happens to me if I have a hardware dongle in the
joystick port.....and Pinball Fantasies didn't work at all!

I hate hardware dongles! ;)

--
                              Best Regards:

                                   Lars Olsson

To reply in e-mail:

please remove "nobullshit" from my adress,or I won't have
your e-mail!

Breathless Source?

Post by Steve Duf » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

"LO" == "Lars Olsson" writes:

> >Changing the topic slightly, does anyone have an idea why the viewpoint in
> >Breathless would spin uncontrollably?  This happened after I installed
> >Quake (which also spins uncontrollably).  Presumably the Quake install

> This happens to me if I have a hardware dongle in the
> joystick port.....and Pinball Fantasies didn't work at all!

> I hate hardware dongles! ;)

A-ha!  Thank you, Lars!  I do happen to have a hardware dongle for
Tornado3D.  I'll go ahead and remove it and try again.  I guess I should
temporarily delete T3D and remove all its entries as well, just to be on
the safe side.

I'll post back if it works.  And yeah, I hate dongles too!

--
Best;
Steve Duff     Team AMIGA

QuikPak A4060T 82MB/1GB SCSI/4MB CV64-3D w/Scan Doubler
               Melody Z-2/4X SCSI CD-ROM/GVP  I-O Extender

"Calling me a paranoid fantasy is only showing what you're about."
                                    - Timothy Rue

Breathless Source?

Post by Steve Duf » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

"LO" == "Lars Olsson" writes:

Quote:> I hate hardware dongles! ;)

You were right, Lars.  The Tornado3D hardware dongle was the culprit.  To
celebrate I went ahead and whipped the *out of the first world in
Breathless.  Hah, they hardly laid a glove on me! ;>

Thanks again for the tip, dude.  I was really freakin' out for awhile
there!

--

Post by Ciro Scognamigli » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

mmm, I have something to say too :)

> cs> Maybe if someone is interested I could give him the sources or maybe I could
> cs> put them on my homepage, even though I don't know if they are actually free...
> cs> If someoune is interested I could contact the cd author and ask him...
> Maybe you could ask him if you get permission to upload the sources to Aminet ?

Ok, I will try to contact Alberto Longo and the AmyResource Chief to see if
it can be done...I will post more news here in a couple of days...

--

regards,

Ciro.

--

    Writing from the computer science department of Milan (DSI)
   home page at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4710
--

1. DOOM-> Breathless (was: Re: Breathless Comments)

How about the possibility of converting the existing DOOM WAD-files
to Breathless? There are so many of them, so why not use them?

Regards,
Christian Gines

--

  Christian Gines, Habichtstr. 86, 59425 Unna, Germany, +49 2303 65725

Sysop der O-Zone: 02303/6401 (Ringdown)                          AMIGA

2. How to copy all of a user's mail (in and out)

3. ScrollerWindow source in alt.sources.amiga

4. The Localizer is coming

5. A source of sources, without ftp.

6. WTB : CD-ROM 2x/4x - Not a joke :)

7. HELP! Asm source to C source

8. Dec Unix X or GUI

9. termlib posted to alt.sources, alt.sources.amiga

10. assembly source in SAS c source file?

11. Breathless