LZX for Aminet

Post by Joseph Richter » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 SKULD'S LOVER  writes:

 > >  Oh, I haven't tried lzx yet - I still get chills when someone mentions
 > >'lz' and/or 'J. Forbes'...

<snip-snip >

 > Who the hell cares if LZX doesn't work with LhA files? If you're worried
 > about silly things like that then you shouldn't be using an Amiga because
 > it doesn't run industry-standard MS/DOS software. Jeez.

The differences is that LHArc has pretty much made itself the 'standard' in
Amiga file compression.  If one is expected to change the majority (if not
all) then it should be expected to at LEAST be able to convert them to LZX
standards.  Otherwise, youre just blowing smoke.  I've got thousands of files
in lha format, I'm certainly not about to go and change them all over
manually, I'm certain that would be the sentiment about the Aminet, and the
majority of the users.

BTW, I don't care for MS/DOS software, or the machine it runs on.  Why else
would I own an Amiga?
                                     __
*-----------------------------------///miga!-------------------------------*

| Plant City, FL U.S.A.    /--\\\///    Amiga.  I made up my OWN mind!     |
*-------------------------/    \XX/----------------------------------------*
Boycott baseball!  Baseball is unfair to Fans.

 | AmiQWK 2.9 - FREEWARE |
... "Good Enough" is the death knell of progress.

LZX for Aminet

Post by Robin Verma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

In a message of 21 Apr 95 Frank Rudolf Georg Petz wrote to all:

 FRG>  But I DO care that LZX V1.02 cant compress files without making
 FRG> errors.
 FRG> Try compressing some 10 Megs, and then test the archive... Most of the
 FRG> files
 FRG> have CRC errors.

I have the same problem, but only with the 020/030 version. The 000 version
has NOT this problem. The 040 version I can not test....

---
Greeting,
        _

      / \/_//_///\/   NLA - 14:101/101.0  |  FIDO   - 2:281/418.0

                   -= The Hell BBS <> +31-70-3468783 =-
-- Via Xenolink 1.95, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

LZX for Aminet

Post by Ian Wils » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: The differences is that LHArc has pretty much made itself the 'standard' in
: Amiga file compression.  If one is expected to change the majority (if not
: all) then it should be expected to at LEAST be able to convert them to LZX
: standards.  Otherwise, youre just blowing smoke.  I've got thousands of files
: in lha format, I'm certainly not about to go and change them all over
: manually, I'm certain that would be the sentiment about the Aminet, and the
: majority of the users.

Get yourself a copy of REPACK from Aminet. It does it all for you. See
ya...

--
~===========================================================================~

    Amiga-1200, 50Mhz'030/'882, 6meg, 540meg H/D, CD-Rom, Printer, Games,
    Joysticks, millions of disks of PD.. and I still need the net to stop
    me from getting bored!
~===========================================================================~

LZX for Aminet

Post by Skuld's Lov » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  If one is expected to change the majority (if not
>all) then it should be expected to at LEAST be able to convert them to LZX
>standards.

There is a script to do just this on Aminet.
Check the INDEX file, and weep. ;->

--
                                                     - Jim

LZX for Aminet

Post by Jeff Stanfo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> manually, I'm certain that would be the sentiment about the Aminet, and the
> majority of the users.

A month or two ago or so back, one of the Administrators for Aminet replied
to usage of LZX for Aminet.  In summary, if memory serve me since I did not
archive that message, in summary he said:

Aminet was not opposed to using other archivers but in the case of LZX
there are two points of contention, the first being there were not versions
of available on platforms other than the Amiga.  This would hinder the
folks at Aminet because to use LZX as a standard they would have to
transfer all uploads to an Amiga so that they could be inspected for
copyrighted materials and tested for virus.  From the chatter I have been
hearing here, that problem is being worked.  The other point of contention
was in the way the Author has written his software license in stating that
all users of LZW shall register.  Aminet is a public archive.  The folks of
Aminet require a public archiver because they will not be a party to forcing
people to use a piece of software that they were required to register to use
else be deemed a software pirate.  I personally have not heard any further
on this matter but I whole heartedly agree with the stance of Aminet has taken.
There was not a concern expressed for whether LZX was able to handle LHA
archives or not probably because ways exist to work around this issue.

I wish to thank all the folks of Aminet and all of folks who run it's
mirror sites for a job well done.  I have looked at several major archive
sites for both PC and Macs and they both are lightyears behind in organization
and in ease of finding desired files within the archive.

Jeff

--
Jeff Stanford                            Don't even think these words
                                         come from my employer, cause

1. LZX for Aminet

In a message dated 29 Mar 95  10:45, Zdenek Kabelac said about LZX for Aminet:

 ZK> .muni.cz>
 ZK> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.misc

|> > Should it?
|>
|> I think it -should-.  How else will they get everyone to switch over, when
|> the majority of the files out there are squished with LhA?  By not making
|> it at least decompress .LHA, it's hardly encouraging folks to use it.
|>

 ZK> I still don't understand why everyone want to decompress LHA archives
 ZK> with LZX.
 ZK> It is such a big problem to have both programs ???

With a program like LZX, yes. If you're going to be using LHA 100% of
the time to decompress .lha archives, why bother compressing them
using the LZX format in the first place? Especially since LZX doesn't
really offer enough savings over LHA to make using it worthwhile,
once you realize it's not backwards compatiable with LHA archives.

 ZK> And you still need LHA to compress archives for other platforms,
 ZK> so you cann't delete it anyway.

Actually, you need ZIP and GZIP more than than you need LHA for other
platforms. LZ/LHA is mostly a Amiga thing. Hopefully LZX won't be
even that.

 * AmyBW v2.11 *

2. Multiple outbound PPP

3. switch aminet to lzx?

4. Wanted: a500 stuff

5. WTB: Aminet Set 3 FS: Aminet Set 2

6. SLMAIL <-> UUCP is possibe!

7. Aminet-weekly == Aminet-daily ??

8. Problem: Warp, Sportster, Asus TX97X, com ports

9. lzx benchmark

10. New Archiver - Lzx

11. How to extract LZX files?

12. ABackup & LZX