New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:52:15

[crossposting removed]

>Directx is ALOT more flexible then the amiga gfx/audio library to fully
>utilize the HW  power in MM environment... The amiga OS sucks at fully
>using HW features.

When it comes to the HW, AmigaOS is tailored to its HW, Windows can
never be for obvious reasons. The Amiga, like the C64 before it
can do things with its hardware that it (the HW) was never even
designed to do.
If _any_ OS uses the HW fully it's the AmigaOS. It's only that
the ATA-100 IDE interface (for example) used at 80% is much
faster than the A1200's IDE used at 110%.

Quote:>Check how much an A4000 suck down in CPU resource to change the
>HW register to move the mouse. Its ridiculous! More then a windows
>software cursor... shamefull on on the OS!

Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
jump up 20%. Even on the text console.

Quote:>Add to that: No multiprocessing, no memory protection, no strong networking,
>no decent GFX api (2d, 3d and video)and you get a*poor OS running
>on lame HW.? Or did I miss the latest amiga OS 'patch' that add all
that in?

Now I get the impression you're pissing on it just because it isn't
Windows.

Quote:>Will Amiga ever be able to produce an OS like BeOS, Linux , Macos X
>or even W2K caliber and quality? From the facts around, not this
millenium.

That's kind of hard with only a few months left on it...
Yep, 2001 is the real beginning :)

--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] http://www.veryComputer.com/~dal95son/ [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

My software never has bugs.  It just develops random faults.

New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:54:08

[crossposting removed]

>>I dont know about other stuff, but Disk system certainly isn't
>>outdated. It's FAR better than FAT32
>Is it? FFS is certainly -much- slower.

Slower it is, but safer. But for better spped, enter PFS3 and SFS.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

My software never has bugs.  It just develops random faults.

New 'Amiga'

Post by Bj?rnar Bols » Wed, 06 Sep 2000 18:55:42

Quote:>[crossposting removed]

 Good someone here has an eye or two open. :)

>>>I dont know about other stuff, but Disk system certainly isn't
>>>outdated. It's FAR better than FAT32

>>Is it? FFS is certainly -much- slower.

>Slower it is, but safer.

 Yes, to call FAT a rigid filesystem would be a gross overstatement.

Quote:>But for better spped, enter PFS3 and SFS.

 One of the strong features of the Amiga's disk/file subsystem
 is probably that it's completely asych I/O driven.

 Regards...

New 'Amiga'

Post by Bj?rnar Bols » Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:06:35

>>Check how much an A4000 suck down in CPU resource to change the
>>HW register to move the mouse. Its ridiculous! More then a
>>windows software cursor... shamefull on on the OS!

>Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
>jump up 20%. Even on the text console.

 Most I can bring it up to here is 15-20% in apps with lot's of
 windows/buttons/menus (creates a lot of calls/message passing).

 Single-threadded apps, like the console, hits about 4-5%.

Quote:>>Will Amiga ever be able to produce an OS like BeOS, Linux , Macos
>>X or even W2K caliber and quality? From the facts around, not
>>this
>millenium.

>That's kind of hard with only a few months left on it...
>Yep, 2001 is the real beginning :)

 I thought the party was a bit dull...

 Regards...

New 'Amiga'

Post by Paul Smit » Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:31:23

Quote:> Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
> jump up 20%. Even on the text console.

Which is quite sensible really.  If you're not maxed out CPU-wise then the
best thing to do would be to devote as much CPU as possible to make the
user-inuput responsive.

--
<<--==-->> Paul  Smith <<--==-->>

New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 06:04:32

>> Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
>> jump up 20%. Even on the text console.

>Which is quite sensible really.  If you're not maxed out CPU-wise then the
>best thing to do would be to devote as much CPU as possible to make the
>user-inuput responsive.

Exactly. So I Don't understand why he (Stephan) thinks it's so bad
when it happens on the Amiga. One of the fundamental parts of the
design is to have a responsive GUI.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ]    http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/    [ StrICQ# 17519554 ]

New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 06:11:46

>>>Check how much an A4000 suck down in CPU resource to change the
>>>HW register to move the mouse. Its ridiculous! More then a
>>>windows software cursor... shamefull on on the OS!

>>Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
>>jump up 20%. Even on the text console.
>Most I can bring it up to here is 15-20% in apps with lot's of
>windows/buttons/menus (creates a lot of calls/message passing).

>Single-threadded apps, like the console, hits about 4-5%.

I used "top" and noted how gpm flew to the top as I rushed the mouse
around. Gpm hovered around 12-18% depending on how much I moved the mouse.
In X I have a CPU monitor (bar graph) that usually when the machine is idle
shows just about nothing, but when I move the mouse around over an XTerm or
just clear workspace area it hops up to 20% plus.
Just to clearify.

Quote:>>That's kind of hard with only a few months left on it...
>>Yep, 2001 is the real beginning :)
>I thought the party was a bit dull...

In London they had the Thames loaded with barges sending up fireworks.
I would have wanted to be there! My sister was, told me the story.

/Stefan
--

Post by John Sheeh » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:58:15

>> Moving the mouse on my _Linux_ machine makes the CPU monitor
>> jump up 20%. Even on the text console.

>Which is quite sensible really.  If you're not maxed out CPU-wise then the
>best thing to do would be to devote as much CPU as possible to make the
>user-inuput responsive.

The real test is how much CPU a busy app loses when you move the mouse,
not how much the idle pseudo-process loses.
--

 <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

 ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:49:41

>>>Is it? FFS is certainly -much- slower.
>>Slower it is, but safer.
> Yes, to call FAT a rigid filesystem would be a gross overstatement.

Even though it usually has a backup of the FAT.. no, not really rigid. :)
It's still there in WindowsME I presume.

Quote:>>But for better spped, enter PFS3 and SFS.
>One of the strong features of the Amiga's disk/file subsystem
>is probably that it's completely asych I/O driven.

Isn't Windows?

/Stefan
--

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:55:49

>Amiga:
>    X-Surf ethernet card w/10Mbps connected directly to hub
>    Miami TCP stack software (could probably increase speed by increasing
>    AWeb-II v3.3 web browser

Question unrelated to the thread;

Can Miami do DHCP?

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ]    http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/    [ StrICQ# 17519554 ]

New 'Amiga'

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:57:42

[*cough*]

> AWeb defaults to 2 server connections, while IExplorer complies
> to the HTTP specifications and allows 1 connection per server.
> Increasing it to 2 (or more) in IE will effectively double
> (or more) its speed.

> Here's how to upp it to 10 connections, for -blazing- speeds
> on your cablemodem - add these two entries in the registry:

> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
> "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000010
> "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000008

Now, _why_ do they always hide the _useful_ options in the registry?

/Stefan
--

Post by Stefan Ohlss » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:05:52

>>Before you make the new AmigaOS sound like an emulator, might I add that it
>>is purported to not only run "ontop of" linux and windows in hosted mode,
>>but to be a standalone OS that supports a myriad of processors and system
>>architectures ... read carefully... without requiring a separate version
>>for
>>each one because of VP OS architecture.  This is based upon TAO/Elate work
>>for the OS.

>I know that, you know that, this whole newsgroups knows that, except this
>Stephan dude

Which is not me I might add, although people in general seem to spell
my "f" as "ph" :-)

Actually Stephan Schaem has done some pretty impressive Amiga programs
including a genie for DeliTracker IIRC, and was an Amiga user at one time.
Still is? I don't know.
But, sadly, he seem to have turned 180 on the Amiga, maybe out of
disappointment that things never took off, promises from Es-Com and VisCorp.
Instead of also seeing the good things in the Amiga, and advocating that
he instead strongly advocates the PC/Windows.

This so called analysis may be grossly incorrect of course, but what
do you say about it, Stephan? What did happen?

/Stefan
--

Post by John Sheeh » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:44:22

>[crossposting removed]

>>>and where's the *y 'depth' gadget? ^_^
>>That's what I ask when I'm using stock AmigaOS, and the upper-right-hand
>>corner of a window I want to layer is covered.

>Enter "ClickToFront", the commodity that accompanies the OS.
>I love it.

I use it, but it still doesn't help when the whole window is covered.
Have to cycle through all of them.  Can't make them shrink to a taskbar,
either; not without GUI kludges.
--

 <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

 ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

New 'Amiga'

Post by Robert Templeto » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:02:29

> >Amiga:
> >    X-Surf ethernet card w/10Mbps connected directly to hub
> >    Miami TCP stack software (could probably increase speed by increasing
> >    AWeb-II v3.3 web browser

> Question unrelated to the thread;

> Can Miami do DHCP?

> /Stefan
> --
> [ Stefan Ohlsson ]    http://www.veryComputer.com/~dal95son/    [ StrICQ#
17519554 ]

Yes.

--
Robert Templeton
----------------

New 'Amiga'

Post by Bj?rnar Bols » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 20:21:40

Quote:>[*cough*]

 Nothing a RedBull or two won't take care of. :^)

>> AWeb defaults to 2 server connections, while IExplorer complies
>> to the HTTP specifications and allows 1 connection per server.
>> Increasing it to 2 (or more) in IE will effectively double
>> (or more) its speed.

>> Here's how to upp it to 10 connections, for -blazing- speeds
>> on your cablemodem - add these two entries in the registry:

>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\
>> "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000010
>> "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000008

>Now, _why_ do they always hide the _useful_ options in the registry?

 I guess MS wants to go with the specifications and avoid uneccesary
 complaints from customers and dealers. If they'd included is as an
 easy to use option it could wreak havoc on corporate networks.

 Regards...

1. New 'Amiga'

Ooh, how romatic. Amiga _is_ nothing more than quite poor OS with some
custom hardware that was quite nice on 1980's.

Obviosly you haven't been reading anything on www.amiga.com.

And why? Is that so great invent whell again? Inventing whell again also
costs big bucks, and is quite hard get money so much. Investors are not
stupid, they must also belive that product success. Commodore or Amiga
have never been a charity organisations. Wakeup, real world is somewhere
out there.

Petri

2. 3Com network card drivers needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DirectoryEntry properties in ASP.NET

4. Why the 'New Amiga' will not be the 'Revolution'

5. Can't run asp.net app

6. 1942 Monitor $300 FORSALE FORSALE''''''''''''''

7. D3D and Voodoo

8. New DataFlyer 'box' for 1200's??

9. SAS/C 6.55 won't compile a 'new.h' example, why?

10. A1000 displays '''''''''''''... when booted up

11. Something I'd like to see on the new Amiga's