FS: A2090 Hard drive controller

Post by Patrick William Mack » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

For Sale
A2090 hard disk controller
$40 OBO

1. Using a Maxtor 8760S drive with an A2090 controller

Does anybody in NetLand have any information or suggestions on how to connect
a Maxtor 8760S drive to an Amiga with an A2090 (not a) controller?

The specs for the drive are 15 heads, 54-512 byte sectors per track, 1,632
cyliders.

I've tried various combinations of surfaces/tracks/sectors to no avail.
From using the drive specs to 2 surfaces, 25 sectors & 4 heads, 17 sectors.
The drive APPEARS to prep (the drive select indicator comes on for about 25
mins, no matter how many cylinders/heads/sectors you tell it in the mount
list).  I've tried it with SCSI address 0 and RES2/DH2 and DH2 does't appear
after the reboot.  With the SCSI address 0, I tried to use RES3/DH3 which
failed prep as expected and worked when the SCSI address was set to 1.  The
drive again went active for 25 minutes.  I re-booted, mounted DH3 defined to
have 4 heads 17 sectors/track, LowCyl=2, HighCyl=2 (or whatever you please,
the results were the same).  No problems reported by Mount either time or prep.

Trying to "Format DH3: name Test" gives a "Format failed:  error during format"

on the first cylinder.  DH3: appears in the device list, but with no disk
present.  This is all reproducable using RES2/DH2 under similar circumstances.

The hardware checks out when it is connected to a Sun workstation.
Formats, read and writes without difficulty.

Could the hddisk.device be at fault?  It is 8204 bytes long with a date of
23 Jan 88.  HDDISK is 9436 bytes long with a date of 03-Aug-88.

To further complicate the issue, I am also using the ST506 interface.

Is there another controller that would be better able to cope with this problem
?

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble.

2. The loopback adapter/interface ?

3. WANTED: Hard drive controller/interface for MFM or RLL ST506 Drive

4. Deployment using Intellimirror

5. (lowered prices) HARD DISK DRIVES, Tape Drives & Controller Boards

6. WTB: Zyxel 1496 or Diamond

7. Hard Drive Controller Compatibility with CDROM-FS?

8. Question on typesetting chemical compounds

9. FS: 2091 Hard Drive Controller

10. FS: A500 + hard drive controller and 100's of games

11. FS: 4 - 1MB 32pin 80ns SIMM Modules for GVP Hard Drive Controller