C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by McRa » Wed, 01 Sep 1993 19:08:52

Feel free to post this to other groups as appropriate.
The following is quoted without permission from "Personal Computer Magazine"
Sept. 1993 issue. (A VNU publication.)

I reckon this is about the healthiest report of C= UK's activities that I've
seen in a LONG time. (esp. the hint about a new Amiga.....)

Headline: "ICL scoops up Commodore support deal"
Body text:
"Commodore is handing support for its entire PC product range over to ICL. The
reported multimillion pound deal will cover only the UK.

[........Some text skipped to get to the important bit........]

Wang will continue to support the existing Amiga product line, although ICL
will be taking over the handling of a NEW AMIGA machine which is due for launch
late this year.

The company that has been responsible for Commodore support for the past three
years has gone into liquidation.

According to Jane Crancis, of ICL's support division, 34 engineers will
initially receive training on Commodore products.

ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

Users will be able to upgrade support for all products to same-day service and
five-year contracts"

End of body text

"I have nothing against Eng. Lit. graduates. I believe that, with patience,
they can be taught to perform simple tasks."
"Eat ice-cream. "                           Terry Pratchett, Edinburgh,18/8/93

Post by Marc N. Barre » Wed, 01 Sep 1993 23:41:32

>ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and

                                                         ^^^^^^^^

Quote:>four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

   How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?

   And, before you criticize me for the wide-sweeping generality that
the A4000 has NO software, remember that all kinds of people have been
stating that the Mac has NO multitasking.  If a person can state that
Macintoshes have NO multitasking, then it is every bit as valid to state
that Amigas have NO software.

+++++++
 ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-

   +

Post by Budd » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 00:42:24

>>ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
>                                                         ^^^^^^^^
>>four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

>   How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?
>+++++++
> ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-

Read this sentence more closely. I don't think it is implying that the
4000 is a business machine. I think it means that they will also
provide support for a business machine, which remains unnamed.

You freak out over nothing, man.

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by j braham le » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:16:08

Quote:> Feel free to post this to other groups as appropriate.
> The following is quoted without permission from "Personal Computer Magazine"
> Sept. 1993 issue. (A VNU publication.)

> I reckon this is about the healthiest report of C= UK's activities that I've
> seen in a LONG time. (esp. the hint about a new Amiga.....)

> Headline: "ICL scoops up Commodore support deal"
> Body text:
> "Commodore is handing support for its entire PC product range over to ICL. The
> reported multimillion pound deal will cover only the UK.

> [........Some text skipped to get to the important bit........]

> Wang will continue to support the existing Amiga product line, although ICL
> will be taking over the handling of a NEW AMIGA machine which is due for launch
> late this year.

> The company that has been responsible for Commodore support for the past three
> years has gone into liquidation.

which company is this  ??

Quote:> According to Jane Crancis, of ICL's support division, 34 engineers will
> initially receive training on Commodore products.

> ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
> four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

> Users will be able to upgrade support for all products to same-day service and
> five-year contracts"

> End of body text

a similar piece ran in AF October Issue. However the NEW MACHINE was not
mentioned here, perhaps PCW/you are confusing this with the CD32 which
is of course the new Amiga machine

beyond that i wouldn't read anything else. C= have enuf on their hands
with what they've got. If they actually are bringing out ANOTHER new
machine, well.....

braham
--
j braham levy                           | Control Systems Centre,

Tel: +44-61-200-4672                    | Manchester, M60 1QD, UK.
Fax: +44-61-200-4647                    |

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by Edward D. Berge » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:20:34

 Marc Barrett writes 'NO software'

Marc, you don't have a clue.  And even if you were developing one it
would be USELESS and OBSOLETE before it was ever released, you might
as well stop all development now, and call it DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!

:-)

-Ed Berger

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by Michael van El » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:51:37

Quote:>   And, before you criticize me for the wide-sweeping generality that
>the A4000 has NO software, remember that all kinds of people have been
>stating that the Mac has NO multitasking.  If a person can state that
>Macintoshes have NO multitasking, then it is every bit as valid to state
>that Amigas have NO software.

Of course stating that you have NO brain is something completely different
as it is not a wide-sweeping generality. In fact, you totally run off the
few nerve cells in your spine.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

Post by Jeff Han » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 02:22:07

>>ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
>                                                         ^^^^^^^^
>>four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

>   How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?

Hmmm, let me see what might get used to do business...

Video Toaster, to edit videotape
AmiLink, to control the VLAN system and run the VTRs
Pixel3DPro to do bitmpap/3D extrusions of text and convert objects
ADPro/ImageFX/Imagemaster for image manipulations
Real 3D/Imagine/Aladdin 4D/Caligari for those 3D options that Lightwave might
not cover
OpalPaint/TV Paint/etc. For 24 bit painting/paintbox effects

Gee, no spreadsheets or databases...we must not be doing business here!

Just becuase the Amiga doesn't have MicrosoftWord 2.0a/5.0 or Excel doesn't
mean that it isn't a business machine, Mark.

And don't tell ME that all Amiga people think about is video work, and that
the Amiga can't do TRUE business work.  If it wasn't for desktop publishing
the Mac would never have made it (can you say "Niche" market? I knew you could).

Oh, my appolgies to SoftLogic, we can do DTP very well with Typesmith and
PageStream.  Seems that the Mac's niche isn't really there anymore. Especially
since more PCs are being sold to do desktop layout work these days than
Macs. If you don't believe me, check out some copies of Publish magazine (gee
a source! Go figure).

Get a clue and move on, Mark.

Jeff Hanna

Post by Budd » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 03:28:38

>>   How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?

>Hmmm, let me see what might get used to do business...

[video uses deleted]

Quote:

>Gee, no spreadsheets or databases...we must not be doing business here!

Superbase Pro (4) is quite nice actually. It has a decent form editor as
well. Someone must be doing business. Admittedly, it does get a bit
squirrely at 16 colors. Silly windowing techniques is my guess. It's a
decent dbase, none the less.

Quote:

>Just becuase the Amiga doesn't have MicrosoftWord 2.0a/5.0 or Excel doesn't
>mean that it isn't a business machine, Mark.

Bingo. Final Copy II does everything Word can do for me here at the
lab, except the 25MHz '030 can't supply enough power to make it snappy
on these friggin Macs. FC II ran faster on my A500, and smokes it on
my A3000.

Quote:

>Get a clue and move on, Mark.

ditto.

Quote:

>Jeff Hanna

Matt Schmill

Post by KENNEDY JAMES SC » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 03:47:58

>>ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
>                                                          ^^^^^^^^
>>four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

>    How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?

>    And, before you criticize me for the wide-sweeping generality that
> the A4000 has NO software, remember that all kinds of people have been

That's exactly what that statement is:  a wide-sweeping generality.

Quote:> stating that the Mac has NO multitasking.  If a person can state that
> Macintoshes have NO multitasking, then it is every bit as valid to state
> that Amigas have NO software.

Wrong.  I've never heard anyone say that the Macintrash doesn't have
multitasking.  However,  I have heard people say that it doesn't have
preemptive multitasking like the Amiga does.  The Mac has cooperative
multitasking which isn't as good as the implementation of multitasking
under Unix, OS/2, and AmigaDOS to name a few.  So, a person couldn't
rightfully say what you just said.  Furthermore, the selection of
software on the Amiga isn't all that bad.  When it comes to business
software on the Amiga I'll admit that it's kind of weak in that
department but stuff like database managers and spreadsheets *are*
available for the Amiga.  I could care less really.  I own a 486 tower
and an A1200 and I rarely ever have the need to run apps like these.
Other people's mileage may very.  All in all the selection of software
for the Amiga on the *whole* is fairly good.

If you must criticize the Amiga then criticize it's *real* problems.
Please stop quibbling about drawbacks the Amiga has that most Amiga
owners really don't care about by and large, myself included.

> +++++++
>  ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-

>    +

---Scott

"Amiga - the computer for the residue of the rest of us." :-)

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by Peter Dill » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 05:24:46

Marc you are a fool. You claim the amiga has no business software. Get
out of your god damn America rules mentality. Yes the software is
dedicated to the european market systems, so for instance a UK tax
program won't do me any good, but on the same token all the clone users
or mac heads in other countries can't use US tax software. Hmm ?
It's people like you that do things like military raids on your own
forces!

------------------------------

The QED BBS -- (310)420-9327

Post by sinclap2.. » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 10:29:57

>>>ICL will provide next-day support for the Amiga 4000, a BUSINESS machine, and
>>                                                          ^^^^^^^^
>>>four-day response for the Amiga 1200.

>>    How can the A4000 be a BUSINESS machine when it has NO software?

>>    And, before you criticize me for the wide-sweeping generality that
>> the A4000 has NO software, remember that all kinds of people have been

> That's exactly what that statement is:  a wide-sweeping generality.

>> stating that the Mac has NO multitasking.  If a person can state that
>> Macintoshes have NO multitasking, then it is every bit as valid to state
>> that Amigas have NO software.

> Wrong.  I've never heard anyone say that the Macintrash doesn't have
> multitasking.  However,  I have heard people say that it doesn't have
> preemptive multitasking like the Amiga does.  The Mac has cooperative
> multitasking which isn't as good as the implementation of multitasking
> under Unix, OS/2, and AmigaDOS to name a few.  So, a person couldn't
> rightfully say what you just said.  Furthermore, the selection of
> software on the Amiga isn't all that bad.  When it comes to business
> software on the Amiga I'll admit that it's kind of weak in that
> department but stuff like database managers and spreadsheets *are*
> available for the Amiga.  I could care less really.  I own a 486 tower
> and an A1200 and I rarely ever have the need to run apps like these.
> Other people's mileage may very.  All in all the selection of software
> for the Amiga on the *whole* is fairly good.

> If you must criticize the Amiga then criticize it's *real* problems.
> Please stop quibbling about drawbacks the Amiga has that most Amiga
> owners really don't care about by and large, myself included.

If you don't care in what he saids, why do you respond to his post?  Just
curious..

>> +++++++
>>  ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-

>>    +

> ---Scott

> "Amiga - the computer for the residue of the rest of us." :-)

Peter Sinclair-Day     University of Northern Iowa      Cedar Falls, Iowa
"My Mac runs Amiga software better than a real Amiga, stupid Amiga droids when
the Mac was released"

Post by Jeff Bev » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 14:52:00

Quote:

>   And, before you criticize me for the wide-sweeping generality that
>the A4000 has NO software, remember that all kinds of people have been
>stating that the Mac has NO multitasking.  If a person can state that
>Macintoshes have NO multitasking, then it is every bit as valid to state
>that Amigas have NO software.

Marc, you are a ceaseless wonder.  The dreadful deluge of ill-formed
conclusions you derive with such regularity truly astounds.

        If it is said that macs have no multitasking, it is valid to
        say amigas have no software.

This statement is illogical.  Actually, non-sequiter.  There is no
rational (ie, non-BlazeMonger*) connection between Macintosh
cooperative multitasking and the Amiga software market.

It is only meaningful for people who subscribe to tit-for-tat
retaliation -- Beavis & Butthead styled technobabble from Iowa.

But what of the Mac's ability to allow programs to share the CPU under its
standard user interface?

Run your favorite MacTerminal program and begin downloading files from
some remote source.  Switch to another application and click on a slider
knob in the window.  Slowly move the knob, but do not release it.
Continue to do so for a few seconds, at which time you may return to
the terminal to see your transfers aborted due to timeout.  Unfortunately,
the mac can't multitask properly.

Perhaps it is better to say this:

        Macintosh is to multitasking as Timex-Sinclair is to
        productivity applications.
and
        The Amiga software library is to the Mac software library
        as most people are to Raymond Burr.

Then we allow for the fact that Mac apps can cooperatively multitask.
It's just such a poor multitasking system that most who are used to
Amiga's preemptive multitasking laugh at the Mac's version.  All of
the UNIX and OS/2 people likely feel the same way.

----------

* BlazeMonger, of course, has previously been show to exert infinitely
  many interconnections with everything in the universe, thereby
  achieving its unparalleled superiority over everything, including
  Jell-O pudding pops.

(Ooh... now you went and did it.  I'm becoming illogical too.)

        "My God man...  We've become a tourist attraction!" - Babylon 5

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by Jeff Bev » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 15:01:59

Quote:> Marc Barrett writes 'NO software'

>Marc, you don't have a clue.  And even if you were developing one it
>would be USELESS and OBSOLETE before it was ever released, you might
>as well stop all development now, and call it DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!

>:-)

Did you know, God hates Marc, too.  We are not alone.  And you thought
the Midwestern Flooding of 1993 was a random natural event.  HA!
Unfortunately, Marc lived.  Seemingly, the astonishingly large entropy
associated with his thoughts is a barrier to all, including divine
intervention.  God, of course, did not realize that his efforts were
automatically hopeless and ill conceived, and that he need never have
even bothered to try.  :-)

Post by Gregory R Blo » Fri, 03 Sep 1993 05:28:10

: Did you know, God hates Marc, too.  We are not alone.  And you thought
: the Midwestern Flooding of 1993 was a random natural event.  HA!

Of course not.

At the largest gathering of Wiccans and various other wielders of magick,
in a small forested area in Canada, just north of the Wisconsin border,
the greatest feat of group magick ever attempted since Crowley's death
caused the river to swell and flood, and caused the snowline to retreat
several miles.

Hell, you didn't think it was something dumb, like divine intervention or
God, did you?

Greg

--
(: (: (: (: Have you overdosed on smileys today?  Why NOT!?! :) :) :) :)
(:  "The chrome and glitter serves to disguise the fact that you're   :)

C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

Post by DER » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 16:48:40

[article deleted]

Quote:>a similar piece ran in AF October Issue. However the NEW MACHINE was not
>mentioned here, perhaps PCW/you are confusing this with the CD32 which
>is of course the new Amiga machine
>beyond that i wouldn't read anything else. C= have enuf on their hands
>with what they've got. If they actually are bringing out ANOTHER new
>machine, well.....

My oath they are. Just you wait!

>j braham levy                               | Control Systems Centre,

Craig ARnoldt

1. BLITZ BASIC 2 - new USA office/support/service/sales ****************

 To all Blitz 2 users/fans/speed-kings:
 (This is a repeated message - just making sure that this goes over the net*)

 The USA contact for Blitz Basic 2
 support, service, and sales, is:

  Dave Maziarka, in Madison Wisconsin
  phone: (608) 257-9057
  e-mail address via FIDONET: DAVID MAZIARKA
  A Blitz-specific BBS is due online shortly (within a week from this posting).
  The phone number for it will be listed here at that time.

  Best time to call:(to speak with a human)
  4 P.M. to 6 P.M. in the late afternoon, Central Standard Time

  Other times to call:(to leave message on answering machine,
                       or perhaps to speak with a human)
  8 A.M. - 4 P.M. during the day, Central Standard Time

P.S. The Arizona office listing is out-of-date.

-Hawkins

2. € DR. DAVID CLIFF LIVE CHAT THIS FRI. 1PM EST €

3. Several Qs regarding creating libraries and OT programming

4. BLITZ BASIC 2 - new USA office/support/service/sales *************

5. Does ROM 1.01 fix operator precedence problem in Sheet?

6. BLITZ BASIC 2 - new USA office/support/service/sales ****************

7. Input when starting a RIS install

8. New NEW A1200's

9. NEW MACHINE SALES