Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by N.W.H. MAIL » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 19:31:15

Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does seem a
dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad. Turn on any TV
program, open any newspaper, read any textbook and plug into the Zeitgeist -
the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has happened in the last twelve
months. There are no Amigas in Dixons, the few CD32s (which only used to
display their load-up screens) have disappeared and the Amiga has slipped away
like a sigh on a cloud.

I come back to the original premise of this posting - what is Pleasance up to?
Is he making positive noises just to impress suitors from other companies - so
he can jump comfortably into some executive position elsewhere without having
the blame of a failed company on his hand - or does he genuinely believe he
can single-handedly revive the Amiga? Images of swords and windmills appear
before me.

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by E.john Lo » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 21:47:47

[...]

Single-handedly?  What gives you the idea that he COULD do it
single-handedly?
This is a business proposition that can ONLY work by cooperation from
developers, suppliers, marketing, and, most important of all, the will of
the consumer.

And put another way, the Amiga marketplace needs all the help it can get
IMHO.  I believe from what I've been reading (speculative though it may be)
that Mr. Pleasance is counting on a collaborative effort as well.  Why
single him out just because he is the front man?  Are you maybe a little
bitter about something?  (Forgive me...not meant as a personal shot..)

BTW - I had thought things were still not that bad in the UK as far as the
Amiga is concerned.  Is not the UK still one of the more/most successful
Amiga markets?

Cheers!!

--
E. John Love
TVI Interactive Systems Inc.

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Fredrik Lund » Wed, 12 Oct 1994 23:18:49

 NWH> Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does
 NWH> seem a  dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad.
 NWH> Turn on any TV  program, open any newspaper, read any textbook andplug
 NWH> into the Zeitgeist -  the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has
 NWH> happened in the last twelve  months. There are no Amigas in Dixons,the
 NWH> few CD32s (which only used to  display their load-up screens) have
 NWH> disappeared and the Amiga has slipped away  like a sigh on a cloud.

I saw on the BBC one or two weeks ago, a guy playing with his... A500.
He had gotten cancer or something because they lived so close to a
powerline (or something).
Pleasance likes the idea of getting into tradeshows for free, that's
why he buys the Amiga...

Overall, I favor CEI. (alot more than any other of the bidders)

Fredrik

--- Spot 1.3 Unregistered

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Dave Mansel » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 07:14:36

Quote:> Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does
> seem a dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad. Turn
> on any TV program, open any newspaper, read any textbook and plug into
> the Zeitgeist - the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has
> happened in the last twelve months. There are no Amigas in Dixons, the
> few CD32s (which only used to display their load-up screens) have
> disappeared and the Amiga has slipped away like a sigh on a cloud.

If you were in the trade you'd know that Amigas were selling very well up
to about 4 months ago. The dissapearance is because NOBODY HAS ANY TO
SELL!
Amiga games are still selling well, as are Amiga magazines. PC sales have
increased slightly, but they are still too expensive for the type of
person who used to buy an Amiga, consequently there is ahole in the
market.

The market for a 200-300 pound computer system has not dissapeared.
Indeed there is currently a very good market for second hand amigas.

Games consoles in general are in decline, Nintendo and Sega sales are
down by about 30 percent.

Quote:> I come back to the original premise of this posting - what is Pleasance
> up to? Is he making positive noises just to impress suitors from other
> companies - so he can jump comfortably into some executive position
> elsewhere without having the blame of a failed company on his hand - or
> does he genuinely believe he can single-handedly revive the Amiga?
> Images of swords and windmills appear before me.

Most people in the retail trade will tell you there is still a good
market for Amigas, if they could get any to sell. As it is they have to
promote what they can sell.

| Dave Mansell - Citadel Software Ltd, Cornwall, UK         |
| This message brought to you via:                          |
| AMIGA CD32 with SX1, 6MB, 250MB Hard Disk, FMV, keyboard, |
| floppy drive and US Robotics Modem. Huge fan of Babylon 5 |

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Wai T » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 08:01:23

Motivation...

Hi N.W.H.

Quote:> Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does seem
> a dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad. Turn on any
> TV  program, open any newspaper, read any textbook and plug into the
> Zeitgeist -
> the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has happened in the last twelve
> months. There are no Amigas in Dixons, the few CD32s (which only used to
> display their load-up screens) have disappeared and the Amiga has
> slipped away  like a sigh on a cloud.

> I come back to the original premise of this posting - what is Pleasance
> up to?  Is he making positive noises just to impress suitors from other
> companies - so he can jump comfortably into some executive position
> elsewhere without having the blame of a failed company on his hand - or
> does he genuinely believe he  can single-handedly revive the Amiga?
> Images of swords and windmills appear before me.

But the rest of the world is 10 times as bad. If you're questioning
Pleasance's motivation with this arguement then CEI's, Samsung's etc.
motivations are even more questionable. At least there is a reasonable
user base in the UK/Europe, where Amiga have proven that they can sell
here.

There are hardly any amigas about probably because the stocks are
running dry. Amigas haven't been produced for a few months now remember.
(And Dixons are *anyway ;).)

Coming back to Pleasance making noises. Pleasace is one of the few
people least in need to make more noises to impress prospective suitors.
Everyone's slagged him off, but he's not a Technical person, he's a
Salesman, Arthur Daley character trying to sell ice to the eskimos. In
the period where most computer companies, let alone other C= divisions
were making massive losses a couple of years ago, C= UK were making a
profit !

Out of all the bidders I would have thought that Pleasace was the most
logical one.

Amigas WERE/ARE profitable (as Dave Haynie and also bidders that
examined the records of C= Intl have commented) It was only Medhi that
squandered all the money.

From your address you're probably from a Uni at Leeds, so I assume
you've got some brains. Why don't you try using it to constuct a better
arguement.

        .         .         .           .         .         .         .

        w         a         i           t         a         o         .

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Eyal Tel » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 19:07:21

|> Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does seem a
|> dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad. Turn on any TV
|> program, open any newspaper, read any textbook and plug into the Zeitgeist -
|> the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has happened in the last twelve
|> months. There are no Amigas in Dixons, the few CD32s (which only used to
|> display their load-up screens) have disappeared and the Amiga has slipped away
|> like a sigh on a cloud.
|>
|> I come back to the original premise of this posting - what is Pleasance up to?
|> Is he making positive noises just to impress suitors from other companies - so
|> he can jump comfortably into some executive position elsewhere without having
|> the blame of a failed company on his hand - or does he genuinely believe he
|> can single-handedly revive the Amiga? Images of swords and windmills appear
|> before me.

[ Just like my internet account, the Amiga is not dead yet ;-) ]

You attribute the disappearence of the Amiga to PC craze. I attribute it to
the problems of C=. Indeed Dixon has only stopped selling Amigas some time
after C= (parent company) want into liquidation. It's quite difficult to
continue selling a machine when: a) it's future is in doubt; b) there are no
stocks. It's not easy to sell a machine when the company manufacturing it is
out of business for half a year.

Pleasance probably believes that the buyout will reinforce the belief in the
future of the Amiga. After all, C= UK actually made a bit of profit in the
last year, if I remember correctly. Of course the longer it takes to put the
Amiga back on the streets, the more difficult it will be to do it, but if
there is a chance of succeeding, then why not try?

I don't think that Pleasance is after anything other than saving the Amiga.
After all, he could have left to another company some time ago. It's not as
if he has to prove himself - he did that with C= UK. Staying is probably more
of a risk for him.

        ET

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Dylan Nels » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 20:15:02

Well don't blame Pleasance, he's been supporting it all along and he's only
for the UK anyway, which in which the Amiga HAS NOT suffered any loss of
popularity. The Amigas had 95% of the market and Compaq, who we all know as
producing PC clones said that if they could not get a license to produce
Amiga clones then they their operations in the UK would die!

You should be blaming Mr Ali, the former president of Commodore, everyone
else is. And no wonder, I shall now relate a little experience to you all.

One evening, quite a few months ago now, I just happen to have the telly on
and it must have been the Big Byte or whatevers on SBS. Up popped a fellow
raving about how easy and advanced the PCs are with their Windows operating
Sytem etc. He was stating that this was the future and these machine were
fantastic. No mention of the Amiga. I glanced at his name, well well well, it
was Mr Ali, the pres of Commodore out doing some PR I suppose. It did not say
he was the president of commodore, just his name, which I immediately
recognized.

So it would seem that everyone is right in blaming him. He did not have a
clue at all and I am convinced he was just some stupid old bastard who was
brainwashed by Microsoft ads on TV and all the hype around PCs that is
everwhere. HE JUST DIDN'T KNOW, and did not want to know, WHAT HIS COMPANY
HAD!!

On the other hand Pleasance is right in their with it, and he knows he
has/had the absolute best product around.

So, I hope that I have fuelled your hatred for Ali...
--
FidoNet:  Dylan Nelson 3:633/106

Pleasance's Motivation...

Post by Dylan Nels » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 20:18:03

Actually, I just noted where your location is.. I am from Cornwall myself and
was wondering where exactly you were. I am from St Day which is near Redruth.
Yeah, and my dad used to be a tin miner. True!
--

Post by N.W.H. MAIL » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 20:45:11

>Subject: Re: Pleasance's Motivation...

>Date: 13 Oct 1994 10:07:21 GMT

>|> Why does Pleasance want so save the company, I wonder. It really does seem a
>|> dead loss, even in the UK, which has finally become PC mad. Turn on any TV
>|> program, open any newspaper, read any textbook and plug into the Zeitgeist -
>|> the Amiga is simply NOT there any more. This has happened in the last twelve
>|> months. There are no Amigas in Dixons, the few CD32s (which only used to
>|> display their load-up screens) have disappeared and the Amiga has slipped away
>|> like a sigh on a cloud.
>|>
>|> I come back to the original premise of this posting - what is Pleasance up to?
>|> Is he making positive noises just to impress suitors from other companies - so
>|> he can jump comfortably into some executive position elsewhere without having
>|> the blame of a failed company on his hand - or does he genuinely believe he
>|> can single-handedly revive the Amiga? Images of swords and windmills appear
>|> before me.
>[ Just like my internet account, the Amiga is not dead yet ;-) ]
>You attribute the disappearence of the Amiga to PC craze. I attribute it to
>the problems of C=. Indeed Dixon has only stopped selling Amigas some time
>after C= (parent company) want into liquidation. It's quite difficult to
>continue selling a machine when: a) it's future is in doubt; b) there are no
>stocks. It's not easy to sell a machine when the company manufacturing it is
>out of business for half a year.

I'm talking about effects, not causes. And anyway, the Amiga's
market-deterioration was very evident even before C= went under - there were
never any proper displays, the big "megastores" were increasing their PC
software and decreasing their Amiga stock substantially - since 1990, the rot
has set in. It has been fatal. My Amiga is not dead, either, but its market
is. I was fooling myself that it wasn't several months ago too, but reality
has smashed out any optimism I might have had. Just speak to people in the
commercial computing community (I have). If I was a callous bastard, I'd put
money on Amiga Internation (or whatever it's going to be called) not being in
existence in two years time. It's enough to make you weep.

Quote:>Pleasance probably believes that the buyout will reinforce the belief in the
>future of the Amiga. After all, C= UK actually made a bit of profit in the
>last year, if I remember correctly. Of course the longer it takes to put the
>Amiga back on the streets, the more difficult it will be to do it, but if
>there is a chance of succeeding, then why not try?
>I don't think that Pleasance is after anything other than saving the Amiga.
>After all, he could have left to another company some time ago. It's not as
>if he has to prove himself - he did that with C= UK. Staying is probably more
>of a risk for him.
>        ET

   Nicholas Mailer
   University of Leeds & Koeksuster Publications